C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LPE Fuel Pump - Is it really necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 10:12 PM
reactor2
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Default LPE Fuel Pump - Is it really necessary?

My setup:

98 A4 Vette
Heads, cam, intake, exhaust, supercharger (P1SC 4.25 pulley).

I've been wrestling with the fuel pump fuel lines for several hours, I've bought every "quick" disconnect tool I can find. They aren't coming off, just not going to happen. Time to look for alternatives.

With that being said. Does anyone definitively know that the stock pump WILL NOT support my setup? The stock pump had no problem with my 150 shot of NOS.

Is the Boost-a-pump a good alternative if I need extra fuel?

The LPE pump doc says it will support 600hp....how much will the stock pump support?
Old 08-04-2011, 11:34 PM
reactor2
Drifting

Does anyone know the specs of the stock fuel pump?

I can't find this info anywhere. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that it specs out the same (flow/pressure) as the LPE unit. The LPE unit, however, has been tested at 17 volts for extended periods of time whereas the stock pump will probably burn out.

Last edited by reactor2; 08-04-2011 at 11:41 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:25 AM
jobberone
jobberone
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You need a better pump and the BAP is a great idea. What injectors are you running?
Old 08-05-2011, 09:39 AM
reactor2
Drifting

Originally Posted by corvettesforfun
You need a better pump and the BAP is a great idea. What injectors are you running?
Im currently running 28# but I will be running 60#.
Would just a BAP work? I'd like to swap out the pump but I'm afraid that those fuel lines just aren't going to come off.

Does anyone know where I can find the specs on the stock pump? I know there aren folks pushing 500rwhp with the stock pump so it can't be that bad.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:49 AM
4SFED Z
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First:
Put 60# injectors

Second:
To disconnect fuel lines leading to pump, they have little green and blue clips. Squezze the clips, place the disconnect in there and push the line in then out. It will release.

Third:
I would swap out the crappy stock pump.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:07 AM
jobberone
jobberone
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by NastyZ
First:
Put 60# injectors

Second:
To disconnect fuel lines leading to pump, they have little green and blue clips. Squezze the clips, place the disconnect in there and push the line in then out. It will release.

Third:

Fourth:
Add BAP
Old 08-05-2011, 11:38 AM
reactor2
Drifting

Originally Posted by NastyZ
First:
Put 60# injectors

Second:

Third:
My car is a 98, I don't have that type of disconnect for the fuel lines, I have the type that requires a special tool to disconnect. I currently own 7 of those special tools and none of them work.

I'd replace the pump if I could remove the lines, I have the LPE pump.

Seriously though, does anyone know the specs of the stock pump? Both the stock pump and LPE pump maintain 58psi, I'm curious what the stock pump flows compared to the LPE pump. My guess is that they might be the same with the only diff being that LPE tested theirs at extended periods of time at 17 volts. I might be wrong of course.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:58 PM
jobberone
jobberone
Support Corvetteforum!

You need to switch out the pumps. The stock pump is not adequate for your needs.

PS: You're going to need persist with the lines. They will come apart.

Last edited by jobberone; 08-05-2011 at 01:01 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:16 PM
reactor2
Drifting

[QUOTE=corvettesforfun;1578328705]You need to switch out the pumps. The stock pump is not adequate for your needs.

PS: You're going to need persist with the lines. They will come apart.[/]

If the lines can't be removed (which is looking to be the case) will a BAP be an acceptable compromise?

This is ridiculously frustrating, I've been working on cars since I was 16 and I have never encountered a connector this stubborn. What a horrible design.

It's not like i fiddled with it for a few mins and gave up, I've spent a quality 3 hours already. It doesn't need to be this difficult.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:49 PM
jobberone
jobberone
Support Corvetteforum!

[QUOTE=reactor2;1578329362]
You need to switch out the pumps. The stock pump is not adequate for your needs.

If the lines can't be removed (which is looking to be the case) will a BAP be an acceptable compromise?

This is ridiculously frustrating, I've been working on cars since I was 16 and I have never encountered a connector this stubborn. What a horrible design.

It's not like i fiddled with it for a few mins and gave up, I've spent a quality 3 hours already. It doesn't need to be this difficult.
I wasn't implying you haven't struggled with it. But they will come apart. Perhaps there is a member near you who could lend a hand with the project.

I don't know of anyone who leaves the stock pump in though. Perhaps someone else who has will chime in. You cannot allow your engine to ever go lean on boost. It will mean the end of it.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:02 PM
leo12
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

[QUOTE=reactor2;1578329362]

I have a 98, all you need is a 10 dollar fuel line tool like these, red one for the feed, blue one for the return, slide them in the line make sure it makes a clicking sound or they will never come off ,wiggle the line a bit they will pop right off.

Last edited by leo12; 08-05-2011 at 04:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-05-2011, 04:03 PM
zavod
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car is a 98 and I had to replace the pump with the 255L unit and run a BAP with the hotwire kit for my setup with 60lbs injectors on 9lbs of boost....

I got my pump from these guys!

http://www.onlyfuelpumps.com/walbro-...p-grj420p.html

I used the racetronix hotwirekit, they sell a complete kit with fuel pump here:

http://www.racetronix.biz/customkiti...RFPK%2D007&eq=

It took me abit to get my lines apart. You will just have to keep working the hose around in a wobbling motion until the disconnect tool releases the two sections. I used the same tools red and blue as posted above, picked them up from harbor frieght!

Took me a couple hours and alot of select words!

Last edited by zavod; 08-05-2011 at 04:12 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:17 PM
Blow Torch
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE=corvettesforfun;1578329611]
Originally Posted by reactor2

I wasn't implying you haven't struggled with it. But they will come apart. Perhaps there is a member near you who could lend a hand with the project.

I don't know of anyone who leaves the stock pump in though. Perhaps someone else who has will chime in. You cannot allow your engine to ever go lean on boost. It will mean the end of it.

On top of that, you have a 13yr old pump
They WILL come apart.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:08 PM
reactor2
Drifting

Those are some nice looking tools, I'll have to pick those up!

Thanks everyone for responding.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:07 AM
reactor2
Drifting

I picked up a set of those anodized tools at napa. Within 10 seconds I had both the remaining lines off... They just popped right off effortlessly.

I broke the crimp clamp putting the fuel hose on however... I hope they sell this at the auto store. If not where can I get one and could in use a small screw style clamp?

Also I damaged one of the metal quick connect retainers, where can I pick one of those up?

Last edited by reactor2; 08-06-2011 at 12:10 AM.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:35 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

Does anyone know the specs of the stock fuel pump?

I can't find this info anywhere. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that it specs out the same (flow/pressure) as the LPE unit. The LPE unit, however, has been tested at 17 volts for extended periods of time whereas the stock pump will probably burn out.
The stock pump is close to 190 lph and the LPE is 255 lph -
What you get is Fuel Pressure DROP in the higher RPM's where it needs more fuel to feed the extra air coming in.

You should be fine but if you decide to go further with Boost you would be best to upgrade to the LPE minimally -

You should also think of doing a BAP for insurance, I ran my stock pump with a BAP and 591 RWHP for quite some time.

What size injectors are you running?
What is the rest of your fuel set-up?

REMEMBER: That when you ran Nitrous you also had a fuel jet to compensate the Nitrous Jet and with the Supercharger you do not.

Thanks,Matt
Old 08-06-2011, 12:47 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----

I picked up a set of those anodized tools at napa. Within 10 seconds I had both the remaining lines off... They just popped right off effortlessly.

I broke the crimp clamp putting the fuel hose on however... I hope they sell this at the auto store. If not where can I get one and could in use a small screw style clamp?

Also I damaged one of the metal quick connect retainers, where can I pick one of those up?
Sorry for the repeated questions - I just went from the top and gave my answer!

(1)Definitely do the 60 lb injectors
(2) The lines will come off, my '98 was tuff too, I even had to use a small flat driver to push one of the tabs in extra to unclip it
(3) Do a Hotwire Kit - I run this one for my second pump: http://www.casperselectronics.com/st...roducts_id=678
(4) BAP- MAGANAVOLT or Kenne Bell will work good
(5) Do your LPE pump the 255 lph is really a substantial upgrade over 190 lph

Again the stocker is 190 lph, even the C5 Z06 is 190 lph -

Thanks,matt

Last edited by madmatt9471; 08-06-2011 at 01:04 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To LPE Fuel Pump - Is it really necessary?

Old 08-06-2011, 12:57 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

You can get those at Grainger! or Ebay

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...headSearch.y=8

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_500wt_1202

I do not suggest you use the hose clamp it is not strong enough or make a secure enough seal on the factory fuel tube.

Thanks,Matt
Old 08-06-2011, 01:50 PM
reactor2
Drifting

Originally Posted by madmatt9471
You can get those at Grainger! or Ebay

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...headSearch.y=8

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_500wt_1202

I do not suggest you use the hose clamp it is not strong enough or make a secure enough seal on the factory fuel tube.

Thanks,Matt
I went to the stealership to see if they have these items (clamp and retainer)....they don't of course. I was toying with the idea of buying the pump and line so I could get these pieces. These idiots want $781 for a pump and $180 for a fuel rail fuel line. Holy crap! If I wanted to pay high-end prices I'd buy a high-end car. Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Jaguar, etc. Seriously GM?
Old 08-06-2011, 02:16 PM
leo12
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

I went to the stealership to see if they have these items (clamp and retainer)....they don't of course. I was toying with the idea of buying the pump and line so I could get these pieces. These idiots want $781 for a pump and $180 for a fuel rail fuel line. Holy crap! If I wanted to pay high-end prices I'd buy a high-end car. Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Jaguar, etc. Seriously GM?
Napa has the clamp/retainer, if you cant find them i have a couple of an old pump pay shipping C.O.D And ill send them to you

Quick Reply: LPE Fuel Pump - Is it really necessary?