C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you remove a procharger?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 03:02 PM
2slicks1vette
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you remove a procharger?

I need to remove my gen 1 ATI procharger (gen 1 procharger bracket too) so that I can reclock the volute straight down for a single front mount intercooler. From my understanding, the blower will need to be removed to be able to rotate the volute.

Does anyone have a write up on how to remove the head unit and then reinstall it?

Thanks!
Old 08-28-2011, 03:29 PM
2slicks1vette
Pro

On second thought, it looks like this might be a pain in the ***. Maybe I'll just keep the volute in the stock position (facing towards driver's side) and run the piping over to the driver's side and into the intercooler...
Old 08-28-2011, 05:07 PM
easyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The volute has nothing to do with clocking the supercharger. If the supercharger has not been touched interanlly from leaving procharger then the blue ID tag should be facing/looking straight up. The volute can spin in circles as long as the tag remain up. You can loosen the allen bolts and spin the volute to any direction you desire. If you are changin bracket and are altering the postion of the supercharger housing/body then the unit needs to be reclocked.

In short if you are not changing the bracket you dont need to reclock the unit. You only need to turn the volute.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:27 PM
2slicks1vette
Pro

Originally Posted by easyvette
The volute has nothing to do with clocking the supercharger. If the supercharger has not been touched interanlly from leaving procharger then the blue ID tag should be facing/looking straight up. The volute can spin in circles as long as the tag remain up. You can loosen the allen bolts and spin the volute to any direction you desire. If you are changin bracket and are altering the postion of the supercharger housing/body then the unit needs to be reclocked.

In short if you are not changing the bracket you dont need to reclock the unit. You only need to turn the volute.
Did I say anywhere that I plan on reclocking the gear portion of the supercharger? I was told that the volute cannot be turned while the blower is still attached to the car...
Old 08-28-2011, 09:05 PM
easyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2slicks1vette
Did I say anywhere that I plan on reclocking the gear portion of the supercharger? I was told that the volute cannot be turned while the blower is still attached to the car...
Very well Sir... I guess I misunderstood the lingo and the term clocking. Good luck...
Old 08-29-2011, 08:38 AM
2slicks1vette
Pro

Nobody?
Old 08-29-2011, 08:48 AM
SmoothFRC
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

pretty easy actually

- get under the car and loosen a clamp (one you can get to) that attached the discharge tubing from the outlet of the charger.

- depending on what 'intake' setup you have, you will need to loosen the clamps and disloge the charger from the intake setup.

- Take the belt off the tensioner to give you slack. (Take note of how the belting routes on the procharger idler...)

- remove the 4 mounting bolts that attach the charger to the bracket.

To install, basically follow the instructions in reverse.
(I have a gen1 bracket, and just replaced my belt this week, so this is all fresh in my head, although i have a 'over the radiator' intake setup, which makes the process a bit easier.

While it is off, it is a good time to check the idler that is attached to the headunit.... The bearings can be replaced in it (mine was servicable)....

-John
Old 08-29-2011, 09:35 PM
2slicks1vette
Pro

Should I even bother with rotating the volute towards the ground or should I just route the piping over to the drivers side?

Right now I have the oldschool through the radiator intake setup but I'd like to lower the radiator and do an over the top type intake
Old 08-30-2011, 09:33 AM
SmoothFRC
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

i'd rotate the volute. Really not a ton of work to do it, and you will make your pipe routing that much easier to deal with. Less pipe is less loss, right? Same theory should go with bends, etc.

... Whille you have the charger off, it would be a good time to lower the radiator. You will most likely need to update your tune for the IC changes anyway, why not just lower the rad and put a nice inlet pipe on and deal with one re-tune....

jmho....

Get notified of new replies

To How do you remove a procharger?

Quick Reply: How do you remove a procharger?