C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Ls6 supercharged issues!!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 02:54 AM
nickk4469
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help Ls6 supercharged issues!!?

Typically I'm on here for my c5 vert. But I recently purchased a ls6 cts-v supercharged. Tonight I was on my way home and the check engine light came on and it started to back fire. This is the first time it started to happen. The light shuts off after I start being nice to it. If I get on it hard the light starts blinking and it starts backfireing again. The question is did I do somthing bad, or is me electrical screwed up?... Has anyone had this happen? Did I destroy my motor?
Old 09-07-2011, 03:25 AM
nickk4469
Instructor

Ok, so I just let it cool down and took it for a drive to check the symptoms. It is fine at low RPM's. If I shift it into fifth from a roll it takes off normal. But when I down shift to high rpm's it starts back fireing and starts blinking check engine light. I then let off and start driving at lower rpm's (3000-4000) and it's fine. but if I start getting on it above 4500 it starts back firing and the engine light start blinking. It never did this before.... Let me know what u guys think!!
Old 09-07-2011, 03:30 AM
regorih
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

When the check engine light blinks on and off over and over it's due to a misfire. Pull the codes and start from there.

Roger
Old 09-07-2011, 11:15 AM
nickk4469
Instructor

Anyone else have any thoughts on this. I don't have a tuner that's local, so I would to get a few ideas of what this might be before I start calling and talking to shops.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:10 PM
2bridges
Racer

you need more information to have any idea what you are dealing with.
need to pull codes. most auto parts stores will pull your codes free and give you a printout

Sounds to me like it may be going lean, if so you need to stop immediately driving it and resolve what is happening.... lean and boost will absolutly destroy a motor in short order.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:22 PM
nickk4469
Instructor

ok, that's two for two for checking the codes, so i'll have that done first then! The car does have a skunky/burnt rubber coming from under the hood, so i may have melted some wires or something.... i really didn't notice until i walked out in the garage after it had been parked for a bit.

Thanks
Nick
Old 09-07-2011, 01:57 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

If you're saying the lights are dimming, sounds like you have a voltage problem in the car. Possibly bad alternator, battery, or grounds. High throttle and RPM increases electical demand.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:50 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06
If you're saying the lights are dimming, sounds like you have a voltage problem in the car. Possibly bad alternator, battery, or grounds. High throttle and RPM increases electical demand.
Look at this a few months back mine did part of what you are saying here. It also was the battery but my voltage was also down on the car from the gauge in the car... New battery all is well now..
Old 09-07-2011, 04:35 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by nickk4469
Anyone else have any thoughts on this. I don't have a tuner that's local, so I would to get a few ideas of what this might be before I start calling and talking to shops.
don't need a tuner to check codes..any parts shop can just about do it. hand held code pullers are like $50 at worst (although an Advance or whoever is near you will do it for free)

as everyone else has said, start there
Old 09-07-2011, 05:32 PM
nickk4469
Instructor

I borrowed a code reader from one of my buddies. I won't be able to check it out till after work, which will be early in the A.M. When I was referring to "The light shutting off" I was talking about the check engine light. It would come on and start blinking, then when I shifted it into a higher gear to get the rpm's back to normal (2000ish) the check engine light would shut off within an eighth mile.... This showing some of the same symptoms of what my c5 was doing when my cat's imploded (running alright at low rpm's, then like junk at high rpm's.) I'm just crossing my fingers I didn't injure my motor...
Old 09-07-2011, 08:00 PM
LPDesRoche
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

I borrowed a code reader from one of my buddies. I won't be able to check it out till after work, which will be early in the A.M. When I was referring to "The light shutting off" I was talking about the check engine light. It would come on and start blinking, then when I shifted it into a higher gear to get the rpm's back to normal (2000ish) the check engine light would shut off within an eighth mile.... This showing some of the same symptoms of what my c5 was doing when my cat's imploded (running alright at low rpm's, then like junk at high rpm's.) I'm just crossing my fingers I didn't injure my motor...
Not sure what supercharger system your CTS-V has but I will guess that its the Magnacharger setup. If so I would verify that the magnavolt fuel pump booster is working properly. They are known to fail due to the heat under the hood. I have this setup on my CTS-V and have read a few horror stories about the magnavolt. Worth looking into.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:12 PM
nickk4469
Instructor

You are correct, it has a maggie set Up. I'm curious to why these are so popular on the v's? I have an A&A set up that I will be installing on my vert this winter. The guy I purchased the car off of said he has had to replace the magnavolt set up a few times... How would I go about checking the volts on magnavolt? Also I have a kenne bell boost a pump just laying around at the house. Would that be a chore to install, and woul I have to get it retuned?
Old 09-07-2011, 08:36 PM
LPDesRoche
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

You are correct, it has a maggie set Up. I'm curious to why these are so popular on the v's?
They are popular because they are perfect for a heavy car. Make lots of TQ down low where you need it. Makes the V a blast to drive. As for checking it you will need a mighty vac that has the pressure option on it and pressurize the boost port and then check to see if the output voltage goes up like its supposed to. Or hook up a fuel pressure gauge and see if there is a rise in FP when you get into boost. But I would rather test it without having to run the car since you risk running lean.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:02 PM
nickk4469
Instructor

Ok, sounds simple enough. It looks like I will need the mightyvac MV8510. Do auto parts store typically have this in stock?
Old 09-08-2011, 04:22 AM
nickk4469
Instructor

I linked the code reader and it showed that no codes had been set.... I guess my next step will be to check the "boost a pump." Anyone else have some idea's, I'm going to check the battery as also was suggested. I wish I had a good performance shop in the area....
Old 09-08-2011, 04:29 AM
nickk4469
Instructor

Also, apparently I have an MSD BAP. It doesn't appear to be the newest generation out.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:08 AM
flash of red
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

May want to check or replace your plugs. I had an issue once when my car would start to misfire on hard exceleration and higher boost. My plugs were blowing out during those conditions. Fresh plugs fixed the issue.

Get notified of new replies

To Help Ls6 supercharged issues!!?

Old 09-08-2011, 04:45 PM
nickk4469
Instructor

Ok, I'll add that to list of things to try.

Thanks,
Nick
Old 09-08-2011, 09:55 PM
HP_Addict
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

blinking light is usually a misfire. start with the plugs and wires.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:24 PM
nickk4469
Instructor

Originally Posted by HP_Addict
blinking light is usually a misfire. start with the plugs and wires.
I like that idea being it is pretty much easiest thing start with. I'm just scared to do that then have it start missing again, I really don't want to destroy my motor.... Should I do a compression check while I'm at it? Also what kind of wires should I pick up? I'll just stick with whatever spark plugs are in it now.

Quick Reply: Help Ls6 supercharged issues!!?