C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever modify there D1SC/P1SC/ with aftermarket impellers for more hp?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 03:48 AM
regorih
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Anyone ever modify there D1SC/P1SC/ with aftermarket impellers for more hp?

I was looking around the web when I came across thishttp://www.superchargerrebuild.com/?page_id=53 site that sells parts to rebuild centrifugal head units such as Prochargers. On their parts list I saw three different impellers and I'm wondering how can these aftermarket parts effect my D1SC head unit?

Anyone try it?
Old 12-30-2011, 09:41 AM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

Whilst some look ok.

Isnt the F1 already a high performance unit ? I'm no expert. But their "billet" impellor for the F1A looks horrific ?
Normally uprated or billet impellors for any centrifugal air pump are a thing of beauty.
And surely for there to be any benefit from a new billet profile, the compressor cover would need to be matched ?
Although a strength upgrade from a billet wheel would be welcomed I guess. Cant see if helping airflow that much though ?

Last edited by stevieturbo; 12-30-2011 at 09:44 AM.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:09 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

The way they're advertising P1/D1 impellers makes it seem as if they're one and the same impeller offered.
I know a friend of mine put a billet impeller on his 76mm turbo and the car ran well enough for folks to want to fight him when he told them it was only a 76mm. Problem is that "billet" impeller only says what it's made of. No real idea of how well it's designed or cut without a compressor map. A pair of compressor maps would tell the real story.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:28 AM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06
The way they're advertising P1/D1 impellers makes it seem as if they're one and the same impeller offered.
I know a friend of mine put a billet impeller on his 76mm turbo and the car ran well enough for folks to want to fight him when he told them it was only a 76mm. Problem is that "billet" impeller only says what it's made of. No real idea of how well it's designed or cut without a compressor map. A pair of compressor maps would tell the real story.
Exactly. I dont see how they are selling uprated compressor wheels, unless there is a cover to go with it though ?

And usually machined from a billet allows them to be more aggressive with the blade profiles, thinner blades etc due to better strength.
The one pictured as an example just looks terrible ?

If someone made a better wheel for the YSi, I'd be buying one for sure. Why is it taking so long !! lol
Old 12-30-2011, 10:39 AM
Its Bruce
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a shame Procharger won't even offer those for their regularly used impellers/blowers. I could see how the P1/D1 would be the same impeller, since they're the same housing.

I have no experience with these impellers, however the question has been asked before and I don't remember anyone else having anything positive to say about them either.

Edit: One last comment - the size of the $495 impeller is similar to that of the D1SC (6.2" vs. 6.25") and the contoured vane shape looks more like the D1CS's but is completely lacking the straight vanes. And there's something about not seeing the machining marks on the replacement ones that doesn't sit well with me. Obviously I don't know what the manufacturing process is, but for a billet piece, I'd expect to see the machined profile on the edges of the vanes. They appear blasted however the outer edges have been profiled, which suggest machining with an interrupted cut - something most shops would prefer not to do.

(D1SC vs. P1SC-1)
Name:  D1vsP12.jpg
Views: 3400
Size:  53.6 KB

(SuperchargerRebuild)

Last edited by Its Bruce; 12-30-2011 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:04 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

I know madmatt9471 did the swap out in his set up and loves it....Give him a p.m. on the job he did... Robert
Old 01-06-2012, 03:53 PM
Nosferatu333
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I think P1 and D1 impellars are billet. Please someone chime in.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:13 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by robert miller
I know madmatt9471 did the swap out in his set up and loves it....Give him a p.m. on the job he did... Robert
What I did was send it to (P1SC-1) PROCHARGER to do the Upgrade from a P1SC to the D1SC - and it ran around $1500.00 for the service and I paid for shipping both ways to and from Procharger!

I had at one time talked with Superchargers Rebuilds but opted to go with Procharger re-doing my P1 into a D1 -

I was tempted but I knew money would be better spent, for me and my goals, on getting the D1SC -

I really don't know how well their set-up works and don't know anyone who has done it, but when I did speak with them about my P1SC it is stated at least a 2 PSI of Boost increase for their IMPELLER on your current pulley!

Although this seemed like a decent idea I was caught lobbying back and forth because for the same amount of Boost for the Superchargers Rebuild Impeller I could easily gone with an OVERDRIVE Balancer to get the same 2 PSI minimum - then could of pulley'd down and got real crazy -

But again I opted for the D1SC upgrade due to the expandability I would get from the D1SC over the P1SC -

Now with a larger pulley (3.6" now over the 3.2" I had with the P1SC) I am making the same Boost in the end but 40+ RWTQ throughout the RPM range and 35+ RWHP throughout the entire RPM range and I can Pulley down with the D1SC as low as a 3.2" or more and pick up more HP and TQ (easily put me in the 800+ RWHP range) and also or do a OVERDRIVE Balancer too!

So after considering it all my money was better spent upgrading to the D1SC - I would not send them my D1SC for 'ANY' impeller changes at all at this point - I would first consider talking with Procharger about any other upgrades I could do to the D1 first! I would not touch the D1 I have - it is getting the all the goals I wanted and I am thuroughly satisfied!

I hope this helps!

Thanks,Matt
Old 07-02-2012, 10:59 AM
0Arun@CCP
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Its Bruce
It's a shame Procharger won't even offer those for their regularly used impellers/blowers. I could see how the P1/D1 would be the same impeller, since they're the same housing.

I have no experience with these impellers, however the question has been asked before and I don't remember anyone else having anything positive to say about them either.

Edit: One last comment - the size of the $495 impeller is similar to that of the D1SC (6.2" vs. 6.25") and the contoured vane shape looks more like the D1CS's but is completely lacking the straight vanes. And there's something about not seeing the machining marks on the replacement ones that doesn't sit well with me. Obviously I don't know what the manufacturing process is, but for a billet piece, I'd expect to see the machined profile on the edges of the vanes. They appear blasted however the outer edges have been profiled, which suggest machining with an interrupted cut - something most shops would prefer not to do.

(D1SC vs. P1SC-1)

(SuperchargerRebuild)
All the Procharger impellars are billet.

The D1 impellare will not fit where a P1 impellar used to fit-the back half of the case is different.

The best upgrade IMHO would just be to sell the D1SC and just get a F1A.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:07 AM
fotoboy
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Arun@CCP

The D1 impellare will not fit where a P1 impellar used to fit-the back half of the case is different.

I talked to procharger directly and they told me the only difference between a d1sc and p1sc is the impeller and a few bearings
Old 09-20-2012, 02:02 PM
SBCGENII
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by fotoboy
I talked to procharger directly and they told me the only difference between a d1sc and p1sc is the impeller and a few bearings
Look at the picture above. The wheel on the left will not fit on the right with just a bearing change.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:05 AM
fotoboy
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SBCGENII
Look at the picture above. The wheel on the left will not fit on the right with just a bearing change.
I also talked today w supercharger rebuilding and they also said its not a problem upgrading to d1sc specs.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:15 AM
Skunkworks
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also talked today w supercharger rebuilding and they also said its not a problem upgrading to d1sc specs.
Yes and no... ProCharger did the same thing as Vortech at one time, in which the impeller was a "clipped" version of big brother. But that has gone away on Vortech side, don't know if that is true for ProCharger.

Old 10-12-2015, 04:59 PM
92LXCPE
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Whilst some look ok.

Isnt the F1 already a high performance unit ? I'm no expert. But their "billet" impellor for the F1A looks horrific ?
Normally uprated or billet impellors for any centrifugal air pump are a thing of beauty.
And surely for there to be any benefit from a new billet profile, the compressor cover would need to be matched ?
Although a strength upgrade from a billet wheel would be welcomed I guess. Cant see if helping airflow that much though ?

This was their first F1A iteration, fins are just a little thicker than needed for safety, in case you ingest some foreign material.
Still looks like a beauty to me though...
Old 10-12-2015, 05:05 PM
92LXCPE
6th Gear

P1SC, D1SC, P1SC-1, P600B all have slight differences in dimensions, but very close, so the same 'base' design can be used for all 4 - just machined specifically to fit each model - which is why you see the multi-model drop down list on their site, so you can select exactly what you need it for.
Old 10-12-2015, 05:07 PM
92LXCPE
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Arun@CCP

The pic on left is D1SC with 6.2" OD. The pic on the right is a P1SC-1 with 5.2" OD.
The straight vane P1SC however is a 6.2" OD as well, so a D1SC will fit the "back half" of a P1SC - only the profile on the scroll/volute is different between the 2.
Old 10-12-2015, 05:15 PM
92LXCPE
6th Gear

Originally Posted by madmatt9471
What I did was send it to (P1SC-1) PROCHARGER to do the Upgrade from a P1SC to the D1SC - and it ran around $1500.00 for the service and I paid for shipping both ways to and from Procharger!

I had at one time talked with Superchargers Rebuilds but opted to go with Procharger re-doing my P1 into a D1 -

I was tempted but I knew money would be better spent, for me and my goals, on getting the D1SC -

I really don't know how well their set-up works and don't know anyone who has done it, but when I did speak with them about my P1SC it is stated at least a 2 PSI of Boost increase for their IMPELLER on your current pulley!

Although this seemed like a decent idea I was caught lobbying back and forth because for the same amount of Boost for the Superchargers Rebuild Impeller I could easily gone with an OVERDRIVE Balancer to get the same 2 PSI minimum - then could of pulley'd down and got real crazy -

But again I opted for the D1SC upgrade due to the expandability I would get from the D1SC over the P1SC -

Now with a larger pulley (3.6" now over the 3.2" I had with the P1SC) I am making the same Boost in the end but 40+ RWTQ throughout the RPM range and 35+ RWHP throughout the entire RPM range and I can Pulley down with the D1SC as low as a 3.2" or more and pick up more HP and TQ (easily put me in the 800+ RWHP range) and also or do a OVERDRIVE Balancer too!

So after considering it all my money was better spent upgrading to the D1SC - I would not send them my D1SC for 'ANY' impeller changes at all at this point - I would first consider talking with Procharger about any other upgrades I could do to the D1 first! I would not touch the D1 I have - it is getting the all the goals I wanted and I am thuroughly satisfied!

I hope this helps!

Thanks,Matt
I've seen some dyno sheets where the aftermarket cast CW rotation, 5.7" OD, picks up about +40 HP, and I've heard that the CCW rotation, cast 6.2" picks up about +60 HP over the stock straight vane P1SC.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone ever modify there D1SC/P1SC/ with aftermarket impellers for more hp?

Old 10-12-2015, 05:20 PM
92LXCPE
6th Gear

Yes, they have several options, just look at their site and email them any questions. These are just what they started with, even if they didn't make huge gains, they were still better than the stock P1SC and cheaper options, for DIYers, than sending it to the factory. They're currently working toward a better billet option too, a little down the road...
Old 10-12-2015, 05:42 PM
92LXCPE
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Its Bruce

(D1SC vs. P1SC-1)

(SuperchargerRebuild)
Also,... Just FYI, the reason you don't see machine marks on the bottom one in that "3 impeller pic" above, is b/c that's the aftermarket aluminum silicon Cast piece (same material as turbo impellers), CCW, 6.2" OD... it's not one of their CNC billet ones...
Old 10-09-2016, 03:21 PM
MrBigDee
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

I am rebuilding my Procharger P600B and I need help.
Is anyone installed aftermarket impeller from SuperchargerRebuild?
Are those okey?

The impeller shaft bearing are totally broken, also the shaft pinion is a little damaged.

How I can get removed that impeller shaft and replace the bearings?

Also how I can get open a impeller nut?

Quick Reply: Anyone ever modify there D1SC/P1SC/ with aftermarket impellers for more hp?