C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The BOV Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 01:01 PM
RaW Z06
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The BOV Thread

I have a few questions for those of you familiar with the different BOV's. I am currently running the Turbosmart BOV that came with my A&A V3 Si kit. What is the difference between the Turbomart Valve and others like the Tial which is used on the ECS kits? What BOV do most forum members use and why??? Which BOV has the best sound? How do I know when I have my BOV adjusted correctly? If anyone has anything else to add concerning BOV's, jump in and give us your thoughts on the subject. I am wanting to learn as much as I can about the different models and options available. Thanks
Old 03-25-2012, 03:41 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by RaW Z06
I have a few questions for those of you familiar with the different BOV's. I am currently running the Turbosmart BOV that came with my A&A V3 Si kit. What is the difference between the Turbomart Valve and others like the Tial which is used on the ECS kits? What BOV do most forum members use and why??? Which BOV has the best sound? How do I know when I have my BOV adjusted correctly? If anyone has anything else to add concerning BOV's, jump in and give us your thoughts on the subject. I am wanting to learn as much as I can about the different models and options available. Thanks

The Bypass valve is used to help prevent compressor surge. Compressor surge is bad and will destroy a blower or a turbo.

There's all sorts of $hit on the Internet on this very topic. If you want a noise maker then remove the filter thats on your A&A turbosmart valve. It will be louder. the Tial Q 50 mm valve or procharger big red are popular choices for upgrades to the A&A turbosmart valve.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:11 PM
RaW Z06
Pro

Originally Posted by MVP'S ZO6
The Bypass valve is used to help prevent compressor surge. Compressor surge is bad and will destroy a blower or a turbo.

There's all sorts of $hit on the Internet on this very topic. If you want a noise maker then remove the filter thats on your A&A turbosmart valve. It will be louder. the Tial Q 50 mm valve or procharger big red are popular choices for upgrades to the A&A turbosmart valve.
I have the Turbosmart fully recirculating Plumb Back valve. Will this valve ever open while the system is in a vacuum? Since the valve has a filter and is not being used for plumb back, Can air be sucked through the filter opening or is the filter opening a one way/exit only port??? I may be interested in removing the filter to see if I like the louder sound if I know for sure that there is no risk of unfiltered air entering the system through the BOV with the filter removed.

Is there anyone out there currently running their Turbosmart Plumb Back BOV without the filter supplied by A&A?

Last edited by RaW Z06; 03-25-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:21 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

http://www.aacorvette.com/superchargers/

hope this helps
Old 03-25-2012, 05:33 PM
RaW Z06
Pro

"We also include a filter to quiet down the valve"

Don't know how I missed that.....

Thanks MVP
Old 03-25-2012, 07:37 PM
Blitzkrieg
AKA "The CLOWN"
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a Tial Q and like it! It is a little loud at times but helps to warn off pesky Mustangs, Chargers and Camaros!
Old 03-25-2012, 08:26 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

just made the switch myself to the tial Q thanks to ECS.

no problem RaW ZO6 thats what we are here for.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:13 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Not only do we need a bypass valve for compressor surge prevention, but it also completely bypasses the supercharger and draws ambient air through the intercooler when not in boost, thus keeping the intercooler from getting heat soaked. This should increase the efficiency of the system as well.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:15 PM
JT FRC 00
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I removed my filter on my turbosmart BOV awhile back just to see if it was going to make a difference on the sound. Cruising around on low boost it might have been a little louder but not much though, during WOT pulls on the dyno it was much louder but chances are I wouldn't hear it anyways while driving. It's a great BOV by all means, works great for the stealth approach. But if your wanting something much louder than a swap is needed to a Tial or Big Red I believe.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:30 PM
RaW Z06
Pro

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06
Not only do we need a bypass valve for compressor surge prevention, but it also completely bypasses the supercharger and draws ambient air through the intercooler when not in boost, thus keeping the intercooler from getting heat soaked. This should increase the efficiency of the system as well.
So, in normal driving conditions when not in boost, does ambiant air get sucked into the valve? I'm not sure I understand. How does it bypass the supercharger and draw ambient air through the intercooler?

Last edited by RaW Z06; 03-25-2012 at 11:31 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:31 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06
Mmmm I have to disagree Bret. A BOV in a centrifugal setup should never suck air in. It should always be blowing out. It should be open until just before passing atmospheric pressure. Open at idle, open in decel, open at cruise, and all the time it's blowing out because the blower is trying to move more air than the engine can injest.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:07 AM
Milan
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

^^ That's what mine does
Old 03-26-2012, 12:11 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by 5 Liter Eater
Mmmm I have to disagree Bret. A BOV in a centrifugal setup should never suck air in. It should always be blowing out. It should be open until just before passing atmospheric pressure. Open at idle, open in decel, open at cruise, and all the time it's blowing out because the blower is trying to move more air than the engine can injest.
You know I've never gotten to the valve to see which direction the air was moving at idle or any other engine speed. I stand corrected.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:17 AM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

So it's safe to say that as A&A suggest the filter is there purely to quiet the valve down?
Old 03-26-2012, 03:25 AM
bullitt4110
Le Mans Master

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by 5 Liter Eater
It is never open unless its pushing air out.

So it's safe to say that as A&A suggest the filter is there purely to quiet the valve down?
Yes, on both of my previous cars I never ran the filter. But if not running the filter make sure its not pointed straight up, if the car sits for long periods of time after being washed or if it sits in the rain for long periods of time water can get in there and corrode the BOV and it will get stuck shut. Obviously extreme case, but Ive seen it happen once. Pointed sideways its not an issue.

Last edited by bullitt4110; 03-26-2012 at 03:27 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:19 AM
RaW Z06
Pro

Originally Posted by bullitt4110
It is never open unless its pushing air out.
That's good informtion to know......

I will remove the filter, turn the valve sideways and see if I like the louder sound.

Much appreciated
Old 03-26-2012, 01:28 PM
SuperSteve04Z
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did anyone find this in their BOV filter? Hope you can see what Im talking about, pic might be a little small.

Get notified of new replies

To The BOV Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 01:40 PM
Milan
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

lol @ 768x1024 pic being "small"
Old 03-26-2012, 01:41 PM
RaW Z06
Pro

Originally Posted by SuperSteve04Z
Did anyone find this in their BOV filter? Hope you can see what Im talking about, pic might be a little small.

Yuck!

Could it be small pieces of rubber tubing that connects the supercharger to the intercooler? The inside of the Rubber tubing is the same orange color........

Last edited by RaW Z06; 03-26-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:25 PM
SuperSteve04Z
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe the debris has to come from before the BOV. I have to wait a while to inspect further but Im hoping these did not come from the coupler at the inlet of the S/C, go throught the S/C and end up in the filter.

Quick Reply: The BOV Thread