C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shorty headers on boosted car??

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 04:33 PM
mig1980
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

Default shorty headers on boosted car??

Good day everyone. I am looking for opinions. I will be having an A&A kit installed on my car in the next few weeks among other supporting mods (243 heads, valvetrain upgrades, ls6 cam, 3.42 rear, ls6 intake, etc)

I spoke to the tuner that will be tuning my car and he suggested I should install some shorty headers as he believes they will make a difference with my setup. I plan to keep this car California SMOG legal (hence the CARB approved mods).

Do you guys think it would be worth it to install some B&B shorties? If so, how much RWHP and torque should I see on stock cats and B&B bullet exhaust?

Thank you
Old 05-11-2012, 04:42 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by mig1980
Good day everyone. I am looking for opinions. I will be having an A&A kit installed on my car in the next few weeks among other supporting mods (243 heads, valvetrain upgrades, ls6 cam, 3.42 rear, ls6 intake, etc)

I spoke to the tuner that will be tuning my car and he suggested I should install some shorty headers as he believes they will make a difference with my setup. I plan to keep this car California SMOG legal (hence the CARB approved mods).

Do you guys think it would be worth it to install some B&B shorties? If so, how much RWHP and torque should I see on stock cats and B&B bullet exhaust?

Thank you
Shorties are crap you can pass in CA with LG long tube headers. For the cost and no better than they are a waste of money. There are a ton of guys with LT headers than have pass smog... Robert
Old 05-11-2012, 05:04 PM
AZZ-KIKR
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed. My car came from California with LT headers, hi flow cats with the A&A kit. Don't waste time or money on shorties..
Old 05-11-2012, 05:18 PM
mig1980
Melting Slicks

Look guys. Long tubes are out of the question for me. I realuize that there are many people running long tubes in CA but they have to know someone that is willing to overlook the visual portion. I don't want the hassle.

The tuner I am having tune my car is Mark Romans and I have heard good things about him. He did mention it would be good to run shorties at least but don't just want to take his word as I want other opinions as well. If you guys truly think they are a waste of time and money, that is fine but I'm confused as to why my tuner would recommend them.

Let me know.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:25 PM
Z06supercharged
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Smog laws change again in 2013 in CA and will be even more stringent on visuals and fyi Shorties on a c5zo6 are illegal. They are only legal on non zo6 c5's. The Carb EO exemption does not cover Zo6's and don't let anyone tell you different trying to sell you some saying they are legal. I went from stock ex manifolds to shorties and gained 24/14 Rwhp/tq after a tune adjustment for them. They are much better than stock manifolds by far and worth the $400 my BBKs cost. Took me literally an hour to put em on. For those that say they are no better than stock never compared em to stock. Yea long tubes are better but if I want the extra 20 more rwhp ill just up my boost and save 2k instead. Notable increase in better sound with Shorties vs stock as well.
for $300 hellyea they are worth it vs stock manifolds.

Last edited by Z06supercharged; 05-11-2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:32 PM
SBCGENII
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06supercharged
Smog laws change again in 2013 in CA and will be even more stringent on visuals and fyi Shorties on a c5zo6 are illegal. They are only legal on non zo6 c5's. I went from stock ex manifolds to shorties and gained 24/14 Rwhp/tq after a tune adjustment for them. They are much better than stock manifolds by far and worth the $300 my BBKs cost. Took me literally an hour to put em on. For those that say they are no better than stock never compared em to stock. Yea long tubes are better but if I want the extra 20 more rwhp ill just up my boost and save 2k instead. Notable increase in better sound with Shorties vs stock as well.
Word. Dont think the shorties are as bad as people make them out to be. They have their place. But if you dont have lg turbo super max headers than they are crap.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:37 PM
mig1980
Melting Slicks

good points guys. BTW...I have a 98 coupe, not a z06 so I am good there. I have heard about changes in 2013 for SMOG. I am trying my best to be in compliance. Hopefully they don't start looking at the tuning of the car as that is where I couldn't be in compliance.

Any other opinions welcome!
Old 05-11-2012, 06:50 PM
SBCGENII
Melting Slicks

good points guys. BTW...I have a 98 coupe, not a z06 so I am good there. I have heard about changes in 2013 for SMOG. I am trying my best to be in compliance. Hopefully they don't start looking at the tuning of the car as that is where I couldn't be in compliance.

Any other opinions welcome!
Go to A@A and talk to them about it. Since they are trying to get their kits cali approved bet they know better than anyone what you should do.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:15 PM
Z06supercharged
Drifting

Unfortunately they will be looking at the tune itself in 2013. How in depth no one knows yet but this is why A&A is getting CARB certification on his kits AND the non stock tunes.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:20 PM
SBCGENII
Melting Slicks

Cash under the table or need to find a good ol boy lol.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:36 PM
hardcore4sure
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you do Shorties, look into the B&B's they have the longest tubes of all Shorties, are equal length, have a merge collector w/velocity spike. They have shown to give the most gains.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:14 PM
Z06supercharged
Drifting

I compared the B&B's to my BBK's and there wasn't much difference at all and certainly not for a $700 difference in price EXCEPT the B&B's have a CARB EO# and thus the only reason for the higher price. There is a very noticeable difference in power and sound with shorties and enough so as to have to retune
If you wanna stay legal CA then shorties is it.

Last edited by Z06supercharged; 05-11-2012 at 08:22 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:25 PM
mig1980
Melting Slicks

So, do the BBK headers not have a CARB number?
Old 05-11-2012, 10:09 PM
Z06supercharged
Drifting

No the only shorties that have a CARB EO# are the B&B's. Just shows you its who pays the big bucks to CARB to get certified when all shorties with air fittings and o2 sensors in stock locations should all be CARB approved. Its a government racket plain and simple.

Last edited by Z06supercharged; 05-11-2012 at 10:28 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:02 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Look guys. Long tubes are out of the question for me. I realuize that there are many people running long tubes in CA but they have to know someone that is willing to overlook the visual portion. I don't want the hassle.

The tuner I am having tune my car is Mark Romans and I have heard good things about him. He did mention it would be good to run shorties at least but don't just want to take his word as I want other opinions as well. If you guys truly think they are a waste of time and money, that is fine but I'm confused as to why my tuner would recommend them.

Let me know.
Then what you are saying here just go with the BB shorties and be done with it. There are NO other choice,s here at all. The stock is just pure junk.... From what you say here it is stock are BB for sure go with the shorties... After you get it tune please post the car on the rollers and the #... Good luck with the car and have fun with her... Robert
Old 05-11-2012, 11:43 PM
Z06supercharged
Drifting

Yup unfortunately in California if you want to be legal the B&B shorties are it period.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:58 AM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I remember seeing a lot of Cali people talking about C6Z exhaust parts that supposedly flow better and maintain stock appearance?

So glad I don't live there.

Get notified of new replies

To shorty headers on boosted car??

Old 05-12-2012, 01:14 AM
mig1980
Melting Slicks

I thought about c6z manifolds and h-pipe. I have seen good results from fellow members but some connections do not hook up. I would pass the visual unless they noticed the ares not hooked up. Don't really want to deal with that potential situation.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:25 AM
TaylorMade
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06supercharged
Smog laws change again in 2013 in CA and will be even more stringent on visuals and fyi Shorties on a c5zo6 are illegal. They are only legal on non zo6 c5's. The Carb EO exemption does not cover Zo6's and don't let anyone tell you different trying to sell you some saying they are legal. I went from stock ex manifolds to shorties and gained 24/14 Rwhp/tq after a tune adjustment for them. They are much better than stock manifolds by far and worth the $400 my BBKs cost. Took me literally an hour to put em on. For those that say they are no better than stock never compared em to stock. Yea long tubes are better but if I want the extra 20 more rwhp ill just up my boost and save 2k instead. Notable increase in better sound with Shorties vs stock as well.
for $300 hellyea they are worth it vs stock manifolds.
Are you running oem cats or high flows with your shorties?
Old 05-12-2012, 02:11 AM
Z06supercharged
Drifting

Originally Posted by TaylorMade
Are you running oem cats or high flows with your shorties?
oem cats with B&B Bullets cat back.

Quick Reply: shorty headers on boosted car??