C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sometimes when I get bored........I build another car

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 08:51 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by JMBLOWNWS6
Did you have a rear coolant crossover tube on the back to let the super heated coolant return back to the radiator? I hear this causes hot spots in the cylinder liner on # 5 & 7. Once I rip my driveline out for the 6060 swap Im going to redo my fuel system and also do this mod.
JM I'm looking into the cross over as well. I talked to the engine builder about it and he was not that concerned about doing it... He was going to research it as well.

There are a couple kits out on the market to do it...they are expensive but at this point in the game, may as well do it.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:56 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
When adding a turbo, blower or spray, one usually opens up the top ring gap so it doesn't close up, butt together and break the ring land.
Do you know if that was done on this engine Alan?

To add coolant to the back on an LS6 you can add a front coolant crossover turned around. The hose plumbing might be a bit tricky, but I'm working on that.

Ron
Hey Ron, the original engine had never been opened up so the gaps were definitely not adjusted. What gets me is, if this problem is as simple as ring gaps closing up and lifting lands, why is it almost always the 5/7 cyls in LS motors that bite the dust? It is possible that was the problem here but.... I have my doubts. I'd buy the poor cooling for 5/7 theory first I think.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:45 AM
edcmat-l1
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Hey Ron, the original engine had never been opened up so the gaps were definitely not adjusted. What gets me is, if this problem is as simple as ring gaps closing up and lifting lands, why is it almost always the 5/7 cyls in LS motors that bite the dust? It is possible that was the problem here but.... I have my doubts. I'd buy the poor cooling for 5/7 theory first I think.
Those pictures aren't from the top ring butting, and lifting the top ring land. They're pictures of what mild detonation does. I've seen that in engines going back to the LT1 days. It's hard to make a lot of boost and a lot of power on a stock bottom end, without that happening. Gotta walk that fine line. Too much timing will do that.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:59 PM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Received 322 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
Those pictures aren't from the top ring butting, and lifting the top ring land. They're pictures of what mild detonation does. I've seen that in engines going back to the LT1 days. It's hard to make a lot of boost and a lot of power on a stock bottom end, without that happening. Gotta walk that fine line. Too much timing will do that.
I'll take a photo of the front crossover on the rear. I haven't slid the manifold on with it yet though. I'm not sure why the LS-1 part wouldn't work. It connected all 4 ports. But then I don't know what the LS-6 valley cover looks like either. I know the LS-1 part will fit under the LS-6 intake with some work. It will not fit under a FAST for sure.

So Ed, mild detonation would happen in those 2 cylinders if they ran somewhat hotter, correct? A buddy literally melted those 2 pistons in his forged setup.

Ron
Old 05-30-2012, 04:00 PM
edcmat-l1
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
I'll take a photo of the front crossover on the rear. I haven't slid the manifold on with it yet though. I'm not sure why the LS-1 part wouldn't work. It connected all 4 ports. But then I don't know what the LS-6 valley cover looks like either. I know the LS-1 part will fit under the LS-6 intake with some work. It will not fit under a FAST for sure.

So Ed, mild detonation would happen in those 2 cylinders if they ran somewhat hotter, correct? A buddy literally melted those 2 pistons in his forged setup.

Ron
Yeah, they do run hotter. I'm not sure if it's the cooling system, or an air distribution problem, or a little of both.

To melt forged pistons, that's definitely tuneup related. You've got to be making a lot of combustion heat to melt a forged piston. Could be an injector failure too, but that is less likely.

Remember, in these engines, we don't have individual cylinder fueling control. Compound that with only using 1 wideband, which ends up averaging 4 cylinders at the very minimum, and you run the risk of running at least one cylinder lean, even if the wideband reads good. This is the "roll of the dice" when trying to tune aggressively.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:52 PM
Corvette-Chris
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

After reading some pretty good stuff from Kurt Urban about the rear crossover and some coolant hot-spots, I decided to add the rear crossover in my latest engine build. It's been great so far and It wasn't expensive. I could have made it as expensive as I wanted, but for something so simple, I decided on a method that was efficient and fit my needs.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:39 PM
Robert 2000
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

First of all nice build thread I am anxious to read about how this comes out.

Originally Posted by Corvette-Chris
After reading some pretty good stuff from Kurt Urban about the rear crossover and some coolant hot-spots, I decided to add the rear crossover in my latest engine build. It's been great so far and It wasn't expensive. I could have made it as expensive as I wanted, but for something so simple, I decided on a method that was efficient and fit my needs.
I dont wanna highjack the thread but can you or someone post more information on this here or start a thread with info. on this I have never heard of this.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:55 AM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Received 322 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
Yeah, they do run hotter. I'm not sure if it's the cooling system, or an air distribution problem, or a little of both.

To melt forged pistons, that's definitely tuneup related. You've got to be making a lot of combustion heat to melt a forged piston. Could be an injector failure too, but that is less likely.

Remember, in these engines, we don't have individual cylinder fueling control. Compound that with only using 1 wideband, which ends up averaging 4 cylinders at the very minimum, and you run the risk of running at least one cylinder lean, even if the wideband reads good. This is the "roll of the dice" when trying to tune aggressively.
Ya, my buddy is famous for turning the ***** w/o checking the effects.

Back to the build!
Old 05-31-2012, 02:22 PM
Z06supercharged
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette-Chris
Yea this defiantly is a no brainer to do.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:52 PM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Coolant Cross-Over lines

These are old pics on a my mock up engine, since then I tied the front lines together also.

The highest point is the overflow tank which allows air, steam & water to escape the top of the heads without an air pocket.

I also have a 3/8 line (not shown) from the over flow fill neck to the rear of the car, in case the coolant system pressurizes.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:14 PM
JMBLOWNWS6
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 77 Posts

JM I'm looking into the cross over as well. I talked to the engine builder about it and he was not that concerned about doing it... He was going to research it as well.

There are a couple kits out on the market to do it...they are expensive but at this point in the game, may as well do it.
This is the cheap route I am taking. Have a mock motor at shop so tomorrow Ill make sure it clears a fast and it will be on my todo list for sure.'

Old 05-31-2012, 10:48 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

I may try to get one from Kurt Urban if I can get them to make me one with black lines/fittings. At $200 I would spend more trying to build my own. I'm not crazy about how he mounts the 4:1 box on top of the stock intake though.

I'm still kicking this around...hopefully it's worth the effort/expense. I see many trains of thought on this subject. Most don't mess with it though. I'll do anything to help prevent another piston melt down
Old 06-01-2012, 12:01 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 314 Likes on 207 Posts

Since I have the Victor Jr. on my car, I have the truck one that connects the 4 corners from the factory.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:02 AM
JMBLOWNWS6
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT56
Since I have the Victor Jr. on my car, I have the truck one that connects the 4 corners from the factory.
I have a stack of those Your posting late. Another long day at work buddy?
Old 06-01-2012, 08:18 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 314 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by JMBLOWNWS6
I have a stack of those Your posting late. Another long day at work buddy?
Old 06-01-2012, 08:44 AM
helga203
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by 4DRUSH
These are old pics on a my mock up engine, since then I tied the front lines together also.

The highest point is the overflow tank which allows air, steam & water to escape the top of the heads without an air pocket.

I also have a 3/8 line (not shown) from the over flow fill neck to the rear of the car, in case the coolant system pressurizes.

Nice.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:19 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

New Dewitts radiator (Thanks Arun), what a work of art this thing is....

Beginning stages of modding my stock fan shroud to properly seal up to the new cut down radiator..

Bret and I decided to build our own 4 corner coolant cross over using some of Urban's stuff... Just something else to add to the list of crap to do...

Get notified of new replies

To Sometimes when I get bored........I build another car

Old 06-01-2012, 12:40 PM
helga203
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 373 Posts

New Dewitts radiator (Thanks Arun), what a work of art this thing is....

Beginning stages of modding my stock fan shroud to properly seal up to the new cut down radiator..

Bret and I decided to build our own 4 corner coolant cross over using some of Urban's stuff... Just something else to add to the list of crap to do...
Is that bondo?? I can't picture what your doing here. elaborate.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:58 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Yes it's bondo. I'm just building up the notched area (fan clearance) to match a little closer to the top of the factory shroud. Purely for cosmetics.. You'll see..

Ofcourse I'm no metal worker or body guy so....it won't be anything special.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:43 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Homemade shroud is done...

Hopefully this bish stays cool in our Houston summers...

Quick Reply: Sometimes when I get bored........I build another car