C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not enough power... Opinions welcome

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 05:34 PM
Dtownbrown
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not enough power... Opinions welcome

Finally got car ready for a dyno tune. It done alright but was expecting more power out of my set-up. But I suppose I need to either up the boost or look into better heads. Im pushing 12psi through twin billet wheel 62mm turbos to a 408 stroker, 9:1 compression , turbo cam, lq9 heads , spraying meth also. It put down 722rwhp and 719 ft lbs. I was expecting to atleast make 850rwhp. What would be a safe boost pressure before lifting the heads? Here's a link to dyno sheet and dyno pull. http://s1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff373/Jcbrown86/
Old 08-05-2012, 05:42 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 314 Likes on 207 Posts

Is it speed density tuned? I'm sure your combo is capable of making more power and worst case scenario, turn up the boost to get there. What are the specs of the "turbo" cam? What kit do you have?
Old 08-05-2012, 05:42 PM
Gitusum
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I was the same way when I got my car back wasnt even close to what I thought I should have made for power but the car has quite a few issues and was sent back to have them fixed and figured while it was there putting a 3.55 pulley on from a 4.00 pulley and hopefully great numbers from that switch.... I am currently in a ls2 auto with a d1 and made 704/637

Rick
Old 08-05-2012, 06:03 PM
Chris Stewart
Safety Car

Received 116 Likes on 76 Posts

Sounds great. I would try race gas and 20psi.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:01 PM
Dtownbrown
Pro

Yeah Im thinking 20psi should get me where Id like to be, And its a HPP twin turbo kit, front fender mounted turbo's, Not sure cam specs, ill have to look at build sheet. Its not a speed density tune either.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:25 PM
SouthTexasBully
Racer

Originally Posted by Dtownbrown
Yeah Im thinking 20psi should get me where Id like to be, And its a HPP twin turbo kit, front fender mounted turbo's, Not sure cam specs, ill have to look at build sheet. Its not a speed density tune either.
5 Liter Eater "Bill" has a 408 with TTIX Kit and he makes 850/900 @ 19 psi..if you go from 12 psi to 20 psi you should be where you want to be.If you have any questions PM 5 Liter Eater,he can help..Good luck and nice setup
Old 08-06-2012, 12:42 AM
Dtownbrown
Pro

Thanks for the info !!
Old 08-06-2012, 10:12 AM
Supporting Vendor

A boosted 7xxRWHP setup on a MAF tune is something that I don't recommend to my friends. The only way to do it is to scale the tables way back. It "works", but causes issues with other tables. At 20psi, I would plan on ditching the MAF tune and re-tuning the car.

Offering products from A&A Superchargers, East Coast Superchargers, Mechman Alternators, Mantic clutches, RPS clutches, Kooks Headers, Lakewood, LG, Brian Tooley Racing, Comp Cams, FAST, ARP, UPP Turbo systems, Wiseco, Callies, K1, MAST Motorsports, Haltech and many more. PM me for details.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:45 PM
Dtownbrown
Pro

Yeah, iv been planning on running a speed density tune, but first gotta custom make my intake pipe from TB to Innercooler.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:17 PM
0Tampa Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 109 Likes on 91 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Default Corvette Camaro GTO GM Truck Performance tuning in Tampa

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT56
A boosted 7xxRWHP setup on a MAF tune is something that I don't recommend to my friends. The only way to do it is to scale the tables way back. It "works", but causes issues with other tables. At 20psi, I would plan on ditching the MAF tune and re-tuning the car.

Your going to run out of room on your MAF table with boost. On some lower boost packages you can tune around it some depending on the PCM unit and how you want to lie to the MAF and make the correction in the PE table. Some will reset when you run out of MAF and some can still look at the PE table for some trickory. Really not a good way to tune.

You can only recommend what to do as a tuner to guys that have already spend $10 grand on a FI package, and they look at you funny when you tell them to spend a couple hundred more for a 2 or 3 bar MAP and a custom operating system for the tune.

The MAF only doesnt have to believe your lie once, and the next build you'll spend $10, 600 bucks lol
www.TampaTuning.com
Phil
Old 08-06-2012, 02:17 PM
0East Tx Muscle Cars
Former Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Finally got car ready for a dyno tune. It done alright but was expecting more power out of my set-up. But I suppose I need to either up the boost or look into better heads. Im pushing 12psi through twin billet wheel 62mm turbos to a 408 stroker, 9:1 compression , turbo cam, lq9 heads , spraying meth also. It put down 722rwhp and 719 ft lbs. I was expecting to atleast make 850rwhp. What would be a safe boost pressure before lifting the heads? Here's a link to dyno sheet and dyno pull. http://s1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff373/Jcbrown86/
well here is also a few things i forgot to mention the other day.

when we uild the TT motors there not 9.1 there a little high comp, the lq9 heads are also holding you back also. a good set of TF or AFR heads will wake it up a TON. I didn't know you were just lq9 heads. Safe pressure is figured with not just your static compression, but also your Dynamic compression. You n eed to know both and boost level to get a good est of where your at. You need to know your cam specs to figure it all out, but with just the lq9 heads your getting close to lifting, maybe 2 more PSI. Once you get your cam specs and get some good thick deck heads on there you will know what you can push then, and you will be a TON higher on HP. and yes at that level you will also need a SD tune. I would expect 15 PSI and AFR heads to be in the 850+ RWHP range with your setup. Dont forget the motor combination has a TON to do with HP. The heads, intake,and cam all need to be speced for your build for it to perform at peak levels.

here is a TT vid of a camaro we just did. The cam is a cam made for this type of build, and the car is only on 9 PSI. The car is a ls3 so it has alot better heads than lq9 heads, and yes the comp is higher, but dont forget its less CI and less psi. its all about the combo and how it all works together

Last edited by East Tx Muscle Cars; 08-06-2012 at 02:24 PM.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:13 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

I would try raising your static compression ratio. 9.0 assuming that's what it is is a little on the low side jump up a half a point or so and then crank up the boost.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:26 PM
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by East Tx Muscle Cars
well here is also a few things i forgot to mention the other day.

when we uild the TT motors there not 9.1 there a little high comp, the lq9 heads are also holding you back also. a good set of TF or AFR heads will wake it up a TON. I didn't know you were just lq9 heads. Safe pressure is figured with not just your static compression, but also your Dynamic compression. You n eed to know both and boost level to get a good est of where your at. You need to know your cam specs to figure it all out, but with just the lq9 heads your getting close to lifting, maybe 2 more PSI. Once you get your cam specs and get some good thick deck heads on there you will know what you can push then, and you will be a TON higher on HP. and yes at that level you will also need a SD tune. I would expect 15 PSI and AFR heads to be in the 850+ RWHP range with your setup. Dont forget the motor combination has a TON to do with HP. The heads, intake,and cam all need to be speced for your build for it to perform at peak levels.

here is a TT vid of a camaro we just did. The cam is a cam made for this type of build, and the car is only on 9 PSI. The car is a ls3 so it has alot better heads than lq9 heads, and yes the comp is higher, but dont forget its less CI and less psi. its all about the combo and how it all works together

I've seen plenty of cars make 800+RWHP using stock heads. I've seen plenty of cars make 900+ (even a few 1000+RWHP) using the stock intake.

OP, if you were wanting more power in the beginning, it would have been wise to get your car SD tuned unless the change to SD is going to be free.

Last edited by BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance; 08-14-2012 at 03:55 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:46 PM
Dtownbrown
Pro

Yeah I figured the Heads are holding me back a great deal.

Cam specs: intake - 228/226 .600 115
Old 08-14-2012, 04:16 PM
fotoboy
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT56
THis /\ My tuner had me go SD since the maf is only good to about 650 whp.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:22 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Honestly the numbers sound about right to me for 12#, perhaps a scosh on the low side. Do you know how much timing is in it? With 93 + meth I would shoot for ~17-18 degrees, especially with that low boost. I would not be afraid of raising the boost even with the 317's. My 408 is ~10.2:1, unported 317 heads and ebay head studs and I have run as much as 19# through it. The heads and downpipes are a definite power bottleneck for me.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:10 PM
Dtownbrown
Pro

Im not sure about the timing. But im probably just going to look into a nice set of heads, any suggestions? and what injectors would be an upgrade from 82#, i was maxxing the 82's out.

Get notified of new replies

To Not enough power... Opinions welcome

Old 08-14-2012, 06:10 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

There are some good heads for sale here: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-p...630-heads.html

What size are the HPP downpipes? The 2.5" downpipes on the TTIX kit are a restriction.

You must not be spraying much meth if you're maxing out 82#ers. I guess I would go north of 1k injectors if you're going to replace.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:37 AM
Dtownbrown
Pro

Seen those, there sold now.

THe down pipes are 2.5''

And yeah im not exactly sure on how much meth Im spraying, Its got the dual nozzle kit though.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:53 AM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

If you're out of injector, fix that and up the boost.

Quick Reply: Not enough power... Opinions welcome