C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F.I. Brothers.. I have a problem. Oil everywhere!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 08:01 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Default F.I. Brothers.. I have a problem. Oil everywhere!

Ok so I was driving back from autozone and I decided to lean on it a bit to show my buddy how fast my IAT's drop with the meth injection system. Anyway as I'm leaning on it at about 5.5K RPM or so, the car started smoking real bad. I got out of the throttle instantly (by which time I was doing 130 or so. I drove normal for about 3 miles to my house and opened the hood to fin oil sprayed all over the passenger side of my engine and the engine oil dipstick pushed up a little. Thinking the worst had happened I immediately illuminated the blownbluezo6 symbol and 2 seconds later Bret told me to take the oil cap off and start the engine to see if I could see smoke puffing out. There's was no smoke puffing just residual oil burning off the headers.

I have an RX catch can plumed in the following manner.

From left to right. Ran to intake manifold by the throttle body. Middle to valley cover and hose to right to my blower intake. I have a small filter on the driver side valve cover and the passenger side valve cover capped off.

What do you guys think???
Old 10-01-2012, 08:31 PM
a/c man
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

your putting boost in the crank case could be your catch can setup! you really need more vents before you blow out your rear seal!!
Old 10-01-2012, 08:32 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

How else do I vent this thing?
Old 10-01-2012, 08:37 PM
a/c man
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MVP'S ZO6
How else do I vent this thing?
can u post a pic of you can where the hose is going? if one of the hoses is hooked to the ls2 intake or tb all that boost is going into the can and crank case mine is like this but its 10an going to a big moroso breather can! and all my valve cover and intake valley pan vents go to a can then to the air filter like A&A does

Last edited by a/c man; 10-01-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:43 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

My can is depicted above in my opening post.

The pluming is as follows.

From left to right in the pic. Left hose Ran to intake manifold by the throttle body. Middle to valley cover and hose to right to my blower intake. I have a small filter on the driver side valve cover and the passenger side valve cover
Old 10-01-2012, 09:03 PM
Corvette-Chris
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I'd lose that little catch can altogether and put some adequate sized lines from each valve cover to a vented can.
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (07-22-2020)
Old 10-01-2012, 09:03 PM
StealthFRC
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

do you have a one way valve in the hose going from the catch can to the intake manifold? i cant tell from the pic
Old 10-01-2012, 09:04 PM
a/c man
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Corvette-Chris
I'd lose that little catch can altogether and put some adequate sized lines from each valve cover to a vented can.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:11 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Ok so I was driving back from autozone and I decided to lean on it a bit to show my buddy how fast my IAT's drop with the meth injection system. Anyway as I'm leaning on it at about 5.5K RPM or so, the car started smoking real bad. I got out of the throttle instantly (by which time I was doing 130 or so. I drove normal for about 3 miles to my house and opened the hood to fin oil sprayed all over the passenger side of my engine and the engine oil dipstick pushed up a little. Thinking the worst had happened I immediately illuminated the blownbluezo6 symbol and 2 seconds later Bret told me to take the oil cap off and start the engine to see if I could see smoke puffing out. There's was no smoke puffing just residual oil burning off the headers.

I have an RX catch can plumed in the following manner.

From left to right. Ran to intake manifold by the throttle body. Middle to valley cover and hose to right to my blower intake. I have a small filter on the driver side valve cover and the passenger side valve cover capped off.

What do you guys think???
Buddy I am thinking you have it hooked up wrong here. Call the RX The middle one goes to the driver side V/COVER for sure. With no other venting from that side of the car. The one goes to the port in front of the T.B. Then the other goes in front of the F/I head unit in the plastic black pipe. With the only filter on the oil cap on the pass/side.. I have there monster can. If you look at there cut away on there cans the two outer hook ups can go to either place but the middle has to go to the driver side valve cover. Robert
Old 10-01-2012, 09:30 PM
a/c man
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by robert miller
Buddy I am thinking you have it hooked up wrong here. Call the RX The middle one goes to the driver side V/COVER for sure. With no other venting from that side of the car. The one goes to the port in front of the T.B. Then the other goes in front of the F/I head unit in the plastic black pipe. With the only filter on the oil cap on the pass/side.. I have there monster can. If you look at there cut away on there cans the two outer hook ups can go to either place but the middle has to go to the driver side valve cover. Robert
I would can it just my option
Old 10-01-2012, 09:53 PM
S.U. Vette
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so I was driving back from autozone.....
Think I found the problem^^
Old 10-01-2012, 09:58 PM
smoothblue
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

See if this works for you. The third post has a link...
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-f...n-install.html
Old 10-01-2012, 09:59 PM
SuperSteve04Z
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took this picture from www.coloradospeed.com

I also have mine set up this way. After I went into boost and let off at about 140, there was a huge white cloud behind me and oil dripping from the bellhousing area. I changed oil(think it was overfilled), no more dripping but I haven't gotten into boost since. This makes me weary to play now. Does your RX can make a high pitched chriping sound when letting off the gas? I can't hear the blowoff at all anymore(turbosmart) after installing this can. I assumed it was just the valves in the can opening and closing.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:04 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SuperSteve04Z

I also have mine set up this way. After I went into boost and let off at about 140, there was a huge white cloud behind me and oil dripping from the bellhousing area. I changed oil(think it was overfilled), no more dripping but I haven't gotten into boost since. This makes me weary to play now. Does your RX can make a high pitched chriping sound when letting off the gas? I can't hear the blowoff at all anymore(turbosmart) after installing this can. I assumed it was just the valves in the can opening and closing.
something not right here if you can,t hear the BOV at all man..

Last edited by robert miller; 10-03-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:08 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SuperSteve04Z

This is the way THE BAT CAR got me to hook up the MONSTER can. Bigger lines and check valves on the 2 outer lines.... Robert
Old 10-01-2012, 10:10 PM
a/c man
Le Mans Master

still not enough evac for a boosted car hoses are too small!! but thats just my option....
Old 10-01-2012, 10:59 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Originally Posted by a/c man
still not enough evac for a boosted car hoses are too small!! but thats just my option....
You may be right but mine now with the monster can on it, and the 2 check valves in the two outer line mine does good now. Plus all 3 lines are twice the size... Robert

Get notified of new replies

To F.I. Brothers.. I have a problem. Oil everywhere!

Old 10-01-2012, 11:16 PM
a/c man
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by robert miller
You may be right but mine now with the monster can on it, and the 2 check valves in the two outer line mine does good now. Plus all 3 lines are twice the size... Robert
with the monster can your way better off and your hooked up right from the way u have explained it here I'm just not taking any chances after blowing out a rear main seal let it breath all you can man
Old 10-01-2012, 11:36 PM
jmuck
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Put a -10 fitting on each valve cover and give each -10 line its own catch can. Works great on my setup. I see 25ish psi on my set up.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:05 AM
02402ramair
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Shane (Z06wanted) and I are using a single -16 to a custom catch can coming off the valley cover. The more you can vent the crank case the better. Catch can will need a breather. A -10 off each valve cover should work just fine. I put the catch can under the pass headlight.
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (07-22-2020)

Quick Reply: F.I. Brothers.. I have a problem. Oil everywhere!