C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A&A Supercharger:Did you install it yourself? Considering installing myself.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 10:38 PM
Native
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A&A Supercharger:Did you install it yourself? Considering installing myself.

Just placed an order for an A&A kit. I'm fairly mechanical. I've installed a Vortech G trim on my old Ls1 Trans Am and found it pretty straightforward. I've also installed H/C set ups and a turbo chargers.

I read through some of the directions for installing the A&A kit and I'm a little intimidated. This is my first Corvette and I'm not as familiar with working on them as I am F-bodies. The directions were talking about disconnecting suspension, steering and a couple other things that seemed tough. I do have a mechanic/tuner who will do it if I need him to.

What was your experience?
How long did it take you?
Old 09-25-2012, 10:48 PM
a/c man
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

dont worry u can do it not that hard. pinning the crank is the hard part some low boost cars dont even do it!
Old 09-25-2012, 10:57 PM
corvette8189
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 9 Posts

Me and a buddy did it in a weekend, not to bad of a job. Take your time use this forum for help and you'll be fine
Old 09-25-2012, 11:06 PM
CamminC5
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18

I did it by myself in a few days. IMO Corvettes are easier to work on than F Bodies. Look to the FI section if any questions come up, and don't be affraid to reach out to Andy and the guys at A&A for help.

Once you get the parts infront of you the instructions will be clear.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:50 AM
Milan
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

The only hard part is pinning the crank, everything else is easy. Just take your time and it will all fall into place.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:20 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 314 Likes on 207 Posts

I agree with the above except pinning the crank isn't as difficult as it is time consuming. Drilling the pan for the drain line on the engine-oil-fed units is equally as much of a PITA. Turn on the music and get to work. That works for me.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:35 AM
JLayer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coming from the F-body world also, it seemed a little intimidating at first. I was in the same boat..installed ton's of H/C set ups on my car and friends cars. Me and my dad did it in a couple of weekends. I think it would have been just one, but I had a lot of misc parts to buy since I bought a used kit.

I was dreading pulling the front rack after reading instructions but that turned out pretty simple. Pinning the crank was easy, drilling the pan was time consuming for us b/c it's not in the greatest location. All in all, it's just not that bad of a job. I'd prefer doing this over a H/C on a fbody without any question now.

Just take your time and don't get fustrated. I did and took it out on some folks here that were trying to help. I was in such a rush that I wasn't really listening to what they were saying. If it wasn't for them, it would have taken me a lot longer. BTW thanks to all that helped me out on my install last year.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:47 AM
Neil B
Drifting

Received 110 Likes on 85 Posts

I found that the steering rack came out pretty easily. It just takes time. You may have to fight the balancer bolt but it's nothing a big cheater pipe or impact gun can't handle. Also, make sure you use the LS-specific balancer install tool so you don't mess up the crank threads.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:00 AM
Milan
Safety Car

Speaking of....does anyone know of a good place to buy a balancer install tool for our motors?
Old 09-26-2012, 11:01 AM
corvette8189
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Milan
Speaking of....does anyone know of a good place to buy a balancer install tool for our motors?
Just use a old crank bolt
Old 09-26-2012, 03:32 PM
jason999
Instructor

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT56
I agree with the above except pinning the crank isn't as difficult as it is time consuming. Drilling the pan for the drain line on the engine-oil-fed units is equally as much of a PITA. Turn on the music and get to work. That works for me.
I agree. Drilling the oil pan was a PITA. It was also stressful making certain that the location was correct. It wouldnt be difficult to hit the oil pick up. I think some of this would be much easier on a rack. I was on jack stands.

I had never done a project like this and I had never worked on a vette. It sounds like you are way ahead of me in mechanical experience. I installed the whole kit but it took me a little longer than some of these guys.

I talked to an A&A mechanic on the phone and he was great. He spent a few minutes talking about pinning the crank and drilling the oil pan and I was ready to go. He offered good insight.

I love my kit, but the instructions were not really detailed in some places. I knew nothing about removing the steering rack and there was little specific information available on parts of it. I understand that the instructions werent geared toward someone of my experience level, but I worked my way through it. One part was impossible to remove until I bought a crows foot socket and a long ratchet. It was east then. I know instructions cant have it all, but an area on there site with extra installation tips from the installers would be great. These guys know there stuff and Im sure they can throw a kit on in no time.

I got stuck installing the stupid horn bracket. After a phone call, they said that i needed to bend the bracket and make it fit. That was simple, but instructions didnt mention it so I spent way to much time trying to get it to fit. One of guys at A&A seemed annoyed with me over such a simple questionat first, but he got the answer that I needed. One sentance in the instruction would fix this, but in reality I guess you just need to approach the project as someone who makes things work out. Its not like assembling a model car.

Some of the hoses are a pain to make fit but they will go. I had a heck of a time with the piece that connects the supercharger to the filter too. Mine was a VERY tight fit.

It is very easy to get the bracket spacers wrong and misunderstand when and how to wrap the belt in the installation. The instructions leave a lot to be desired in these areas and I think even a more experienced mechanic would want more detail. It wasnt a huge deal though. I just had to redo things a few times to work it out. I found a video on youtube of part of this. More youtube videos would be easy to make and great. I would have made one but I didnt know what i was doing and I wouldnt want to take it a part :-)

I could do it all again with speed, now that I understand it. I didnt look at your profile. Where are you located? It would be great to find someone that had done one to help you.

I had my tuner inspect my install and it was spot on. Im very pleased with my car now and the kit.

You can do the install.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:02 PM
Chrisrokc
Drifting

Received 170 Likes on 58 Posts

I did my install and it was easy enough. The toughest part for me was removin the steering rack. This was mostly due to the amount of room I left my self on one side of the car. Tappin the crank for the pin was easy enough. Just use a new high grade bit, make sure you are level as can be, and go slow.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:33 PM
jason999
Instructor

Originally Posted by ChrisRTA
I did my install and it was easy enough. The toughest part for me was removin the steering rack. This was mostly due to the amount of room I left my self on one side of the car. Tappin the crank for the pin was easy enough. Just use a new high grade bit, make sure you are level as can be, and go slow.
Was your car on a rack?
Old 09-26-2012, 05:09 PM
Its Bruce
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It was a weekend job with a hefty learning curve. If I had to do it again, I could probably get it done in a long day. I performed my install on jacks in the garage.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:17 PM
Blitzkrieg
AKA "The CLOWN"
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I say go for it!!!

Just imagine how much beer you can buy with the $1000 or more you will save! Take your time and this forum will guide you through the tough spots! Have a buddy give you a hand, it will go much smoother!

Good Luck and have fun in the end with 500+ ponies!
Old 09-26-2012, 05:33 PM
Native
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Couple random questions regarding install.

1. The instructions say there is a "rear" bracket. I'm assuming there is a front bracket as well. Does the rear bracket bolt to the head and the other on the back side of the blower...?

2. Did you have to remove your radiator and fans to install the intercooler etc?

If you have any pics of your install I'd be appreciative.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:33 PM
Milan
Safety Car

Keck739 how long ago did you install your kit? A&A is always updating their instructions, I printed off new ones from their website twice while working in mine because it seems like they make them better every month.

OP don't be afraid to take this on yourself. I have probably half the FI section in my phone and I've spent hours with people either getting help or providing it. It's a great community.

Get notified of new replies

To A&A Supercharger:Did you install it yourself? Considering installing myself.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:22 PM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I'll be installing my kit myself as well in a few.......
Old 09-26-2012, 06:28 PM
Blitzkrieg
AKA "The CLOWN"
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Sinister-one
I'll be installing my kit myself as well in a few.......
You have been saying that for a month you Slackass!
Old 09-26-2012, 07:46 PM
CamminC5
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by sworaz
Couple random questions regarding install.

1. The instructions say there is a "rear" bracket. I'm assuming there is a front bracket as well. Does the rear bracket bolt to the head and the other on the back side of the blower...?

2. Did you have to remove your radiator and fans to install the intercooler etc?

If you have any pics of your install I'd be appreciative.
1. Correct.

2. I removed my fans/radiator, but was doing a cam install at the same time. It did give a lot more room to work. I also marked the hood brackets with a sharpie and took the hood off.

Quick Reply: A&A Supercharger:Did you install it yourself? Considering installing myself.