C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharger Compression Ratio Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 02:32 PM
steven31371
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Supercharger Compression Ratio Question

I have 98 Vert with full bolt ons, a 223/227 610/613 114 LSA CAM with LXL lobes and AFR 205 heads.

Its putting down 426 RWHP and 401 RWTQ in an awesomely usable powerband.

But I want 100 more of each...again in a very Torquey powerband in the low to midrange RPM.

I'm looking at one of the older Maggies that delivers 100 HP and Tq

my current compression ratios are 8.33 dynamic, and 11.07 Static

Question is, can I run an older gen Maggie that I believe produces either 4 or 6 PSI with my compression ratio on 91 octane?
Old 04-03-2013, 06:18 PM
liveaboard74
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by steven31371
I have 98 Vert with full bolt ons, a 223/227 610/613 114 LSA CAM with LXL lobes and AFR 205 heads.

Its putting down 426 RWHP and 401 RWTQ in an awesomely usable powerband.

But I want 100 more of each...again in a very Torquey powerband in the low to midrange RPM.

I'm looking at one of the older Maggies that delivers 100 HP and Tq

my current compression ratios are 8.33 dynamic, and 11.07 Static

Question is, can I run an older gen Maggie that I believe produces either 4 or 6 PSI with my compression ratio on 91 octane?
Yes,, Who ever tunes your car can back the timing down, or you can go full tilt and just add meth...
Taking it your talking about the 112 maggie...
HEY,, we're going in numbers....

Run what ever you can get out of it. Your turner will let you know...
Old 04-03-2013, 07:50 PM
tlove32
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Put an A&A s/c on it with a 4" (6-8psi) pulley, and you'll easily get over 100hp / 100tq. For the record, I run 10psi with 11.0:1 static CR - but my bottom end is forged
Old 04-04-2013, 01:00 AM
steven31371
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by liveaboard74
Yes,, Who ever tunes your car can back the timing down, or you can go full tilt and just add meth...
Taking it your talking about the 112 maggie...
HEY,, we're going in numbers....

Run what ever you can get out of it. Your turner will let you know...
Thanks

Yeah, was thinking about turning the washer fluid tank into a meth tank lol

methanol is cheap, so I can just keep a couple cases in my garage and fill the washer reservoir once a week...seems easy enough to me.

Am really liking the idea of having a simple durable, maintenance free setup though...with a power band like a big cube stroker setup. Seems like a maggie can deliver that at a fraction of the cost of a big cube stroker.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:28 AM
Y2KRoadster
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Thanks

methanol is cheap, so I can just keep a couple cases in my garage and fill the washer reservoir once a week...seems easy enough to me.

Am really liking the idea of having a simple durable, maintenance free setup though...with a power band like a big cube stroker setup. Seems like a maggie can deliver that at a fraction of the cost of a big cube stroker.
Again you are suggesting that a centri at that psi is not maintenance free...and again you have no idea what you are talking about.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:34 AM
steven31371
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Y2KRoadster
Again you are suggesting that a centri at that psi is not maintenance free...and again you have no idea what you are talking about.
Dude, whats up man...do you have a complex about Centri systems or something...I asked about Maggies and somehow you inferred that I was attacking Centri's....chill dude

I don't want a Centri, I believe its to much alteration to my engine bay, oiling, and cooling systems, doesn't have the power band I want, and has too many additional moving parts for my liking.

And, this bares repeating, does not have the big NA type power band that I want.

If you really want to turn it into a pissing contest, yes, I believe all things being equal, (meaning two cars within 10% of each other in peak HP and TQ), that a Maggie is going to be funner, faster in real life applications, and more durable than just about any centri system on the market, for much the same reasons that my Cam and head selection is funner and faster in real life daily driving than the most of the guys who put big high 230's and 240's cams in their cars....where the power is in the curve and how long it holds near peak is more important to me than a peak number that you rarely use in real life.

So, enjoy your awesome durable Centri system....I prefer a maggie type if I'm going FI....and I'll be at 500+ RWTQ while you are waiting for your boost to spool ;-)

Last edited by steven31371; 04-04-2013 at 06:47 AM.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:38 AM
steven31371
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Y2KRoadster
Now, just to alleviate your bizzaro world insecurities about Centri's I was talking about keeping it simple and mot running a Meth kit in that post...no centri kit was mentioned, discussed, or chastised.

Geez...is this turning into the LS1 forum where a guy can't ask a question without getting into a pissing contest lol

Last edited by steven31371; 04-04-2013 at 06:08 AM.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:10 AM
liveaboard74
Drifting

Thanks

Just giving you a little heads up on what you'll have. YOu have a better cam than I do. Only running a 224/228,,,580/590 lift, @114 comp cam. The extra lift you have will help..
You add straight meth, 10.5 pounds of boost, get a better TB ( check with FunCOOL.. He knows where you can get the 102 TB and the gentleman that is building his toy now on the other thread we're talking on) you'll be at 550whp and 500 pounds of torque at 2300 rpm cause you'll have the same set up I do and you'll be surprised at how little you get into the boost with that much torque down low.
If you really want to set the car on fire change the gears.
Maggies are torque. They are not quarter mile or top end toys but lower the gears where you feed them, you will be amazed at what they can give you..
8 pounds of boost will put you at the 500whp mark. For me, and just giving you my experiences after 11 pounds the gain starts to drop off sharply. For DD and those quick showing of power to pull away from who ever,,,,,, you'll have a blast.

PS Headers. I like the smaller 1.75 for torque rather than the bigger ones..

Last edited by liveaboard74; 04-04-2013 at 08:19 AM.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:21 PM
steven31371
Burning Brakes

Just giving you a little heads up on what you'll have. YOu have a better cam than I do. Only running a 224/228,,,580/590 lift, @114 comp cam. The extra lift you have will help..
You add straight meth, 10.5 pounds of boost, get a better TB ( check with FunCOOL.. He knows where you can get the 102 TB and the gentleman that is building his toy now on the other thread we're talking on) you'll be at 550whp and 500 pounds of torque at 2300 rpm cause you'll have the same set up I do and you'll be surprised at how little you get into the boost with that much torque down low.
If you really want to set the car on fire change the gears.
Maggies are torque. They are not quarter mile or top end toys but lower the gears where you feed them, you will be amazed at what they can give you..
8 pounds of boost will put you at the 500whp mark. For me, and just giving you my experiences after 11 pounds the gain starts to drop off sharply. For DD and those quick showing of power to pull away from who ever,,,,,, you'll have a blast.

PS Headers. I like the smaller 1.75 for torque rather than the bigger ones..
Very cool....

I have full bolts accept a big TB...but have a big breather and 1.75 LT's with high flow cats...etc etc

Am curious, what heads are you running, an where do you have the rev limiter set?

My whole setup, as is, is designed to maximize usable RWTQ....I think a maggie might be a perfect compliment, and go really well with my AFR 205 heads. These heads are small port high velocity torque monsters lol

Love em.

Full engine mods are:

LG CAI
LS6 IM....will go away obviously ;-)
AFR 205 Heads with Patriot Extremes and Comp Trunnion kit
LS7 Lifters
XS Power 1.75 LT Headers with High Flow & XPipe cats
Ti exhuast.

The XS Power header design also maximizes mid range TQ, they had me at 351 RWTQ on stock heads and cam with NO TUNE lol

Last edited by steven31371; 04-04-2013 at 04:30 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:41 PM
Y2KRoadster
Melting Slicks

Dude, whats up man...do you have a complex about Centri systems or something...I asked about Maggies and somehow you inferred that I was attacking Centri's....chill dude

I don't want a Centri, I believe its to much alteration to my engine bay, oiling, and cooling systems, doesn't have the power band I want, and has too many additional moving parts for my liking.

And, this bares repeating, does not have the big NA type power band that I want.

If you really want to turn it into a pissing contest, yes, I believe all things being equal, (meaning two cars within 10% of each other in peak HP and TQ), that a Maggie is going to be funner, faster in real life applications, and more durable than just about any centri system on the market, for much the same reasons that my Cam and head selection is funner and faster in real life daily driving than the most of the guys who put big high 230's and 240's cams in their cars....where the power is in the curve and how long it holds near peak is more important to me than a peak number that you rarely use in real life.

So, enjoy your awesome durable Centri system....I prefer a maggie type if I'm going FI....and I'll be at 500+ RWTQ while you are waiting for your boost to spool ;-)
Now, just to alleviate your bizzaro world insecurities about Centri's I was talking about keeping it simple and mot running a Meth kit in that post...no centri kit was mentioned, discussed, or chastised.

Geez...is this turning into the LS1 forum where a guy can't ask a question without getting into a pissing contest lol
You just wrote a novel to my one sentence, quoted me two times, and you are saying I am the one who needs to chill?

By your own admission, you said you were conjecturing and didn't really know anything about the subject of durability on a centri. However, you are still rambling on about durability issues and the maintenance required. You don't know what you are talking about so just hush junior!

I'm not even defending the centri...I'm just correcting your BS so others won't get bad information from you.

EDIT: Oops forgot to add...you don't know what my setup is so I wouldn't be talking trash about being able to beat me with 500RWTQ...see...again, you don't know what you are talking about. I am noticing a pattern here.

Last edited by Y2KRoadster; 04-04-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:27 PM
liveaboard74
Drifting

Very cool....

Am curious, what heads are you running, an where do you have the rev limiter set?

LS1s that had clean up on Isle 2 and size 11.5 reebox's..............:thumb s:

I run a shift light set on 6700.........
pull 18 for a living. Shifting those 6 ain't to hard with a light...

with what you have, you'll really enjoy that maggie.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:42 PM
steven31371
Burning Brakes

LS1s that had clean up on Isle 2 and size 11.5 reebox's..............:thumb s:

I run a shift light set on 6700.........
pull 18 for a living. Shifting those 6 ain't to hard with a light...

with what you have, you'll really enjoy that maggie.
Hey Bro, where did you get a shift light set...do you have a link?
Old 04-05-2013, 12:14 AM
liveaboard74
Drifting

Hey Bro, where did you get a shift light set...do you have a link?
Summit racing. They have several to pick from.
Have a three gauge pod and mounted the shift light to the right of the top gauge eye level. Any of them will work just remember you get what you pay for so don't buy the cheapest and Kinda important part to... Running 3.90's so the shift come quick. If you have never messed with a light it takes some getting us to at first but once you get it you wonder why you tried it without it. Takes ALL the quess work out of shifting. Rest is up to you...

Last edited by liveaboard74; 04-05-2013 at 12:17 AM.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:16 AM
longrodlx
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Please explain to me how your going to hookup 500rwtq at 2500rpm on the street. If your looking for a fun street car you can't go wrong with a Maggie.

But acting like your going to be blowing people's doors off with all that low end torque it just isn't going to happen. While your sitting there in a cloud of smoke us centrifugal guys are going to be half way down the street since we hookup while we are waiting for are superchargers to spool lmao.

Good luck with whatever setup you go with. It will be a lot of fun no matter what.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:37 AM
liveaboard74
Drifting

Originally Posted by longrodlx
Please explain to me how your going to hookup 500rwtq at 2500rpm on the street. If your looking for a fun street car you can't go wrong with a Maggie.

But acting like your going to be blowing people's doors off with all that low end torque it just isn't going to happen. While your sitting there in a cloud of smoke us centrifugal guys are going to be half way down the street since we hookup while we are waiting for are superchargers to spool lmao.
If all you know how to do is mash it to the floor to drive it your right but if you can drive your car , don't be so cocky about street racing a roots in short distances. When both you guys and us have street tires, it ain't the blower on the street its the driver behind that wheel..
You can slap on a small wheel , use a pop off valve and do the same thing we're doing but most don't want that with what you have.
You guys live and love that quarter mile 135/200 mph feeling . Its a goal for you.. Just not for us. I like 187 in the quarter when I first got the rail,/148 in the 1/8 but I do that on the track. Not the street. Streets different in every way amigo.
The fun part of roots is not having to use it. I hit one or two pounds boost the car is gone. Meth set to 3 pounds with a led light on the gauge pod and it hardly never comes on cause you don't need to mash the car to get around anything.
At 60 mph that torque is still there but its there without changing a gear.. and I went one better. Have 3.90s in the car. Now I have that torque in 5th gear.
If all you know how to do is floor the thing and don't take time to learn how to drive it , up in smoke is what you have and as good as you'll ever be.
I can keep the tires chirping but won't brake all through the gear but I"ve taken the time to play with it. I"m in the 7s with street tires in the 1/8. No DR, no MTs. My goal is 7.30 on street tires and I could give a rats rear about a quarter mile. Dragster now is 1/8th only. Most drag strips are 1/8th mile. Even the quarters are going to 1000 foot. 4 banger saturn sky runs 8.20 in the 1/8 and its faster than most production vettes. Maybe I will, maybe i won't make my goal but don't think your going to kill every maggie owner on the street cause you have a certain type of blower and they can't drive. Streets only quarter when you have to have things your way.

We're texas mile, 8 second quarters and shinny chrome on the forum.
When you pull out that drive, it ain't all about power and where you think it should come in. Its whos the better driver with what he's got .

Last edited by liveaboard74; 04-05-2013 at 03:15 AM.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:48 AM
steven31371
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by longrodlx

Good luck with whatever setup you go with. It will be a lot of fun no matter what.
Good points...and again, I was a hairs breath from pulling the trigger on an ECS sytem a few weeks ago before I decided to go heads and cam instead...so i got nothing against a good centri system...just recently discovered maggies and their power band, and it matches what I've been trying to do with this build really well.

as to the smack talk... I was moving all day (tired and annoyed lol) and slipped up and let that guy get under my skin for a sec lol

Don't really look at street racing as a good idea, but when it happens its usually only a couple seconds for me, where a guy pulls up along side and we see who pulls from a roll wherever we are....And I never do it for more than long enough to see whose car pulls the other, couple srconds at most really.

I just like the fun factor of getting into the fun pedal coming out of a curve or going around some highway traffic, and having the SURGE at any RPM.

The cam and heads setup I have now do that wonderfully, but if I can get more of it alls good ;-)

for what its worth, with that much TQ down low you can soft luanch and still catch most guys and pass them before most guys hit their sweet spot in their TQ curve lol

Last edited by steven31371; 04-05-2013 at 02:00 AM.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:09 AM
Architect
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Talk to guys that install these systems for a living. They're all going to tell you the centris trap higher speeds and better times than Maggies. Centris put power at usable RPMs. While the Maggie is good for smoking a set of tires, get used to seeing taillights.

Get notified of new replies

To Supercharger Compression Ratio Question

Old 04-05-2013, 06:31 AM
steven31371
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Architect
Talk to guys that install these systems for a living. They're all going to tell you the centris trap higher speeds and better times than Maggies. Centris put power at usable RPMs. While the Maggie is good for smoking a set of tires, get used to seeing taillights.

I'm not really a drag race guy, and even if I was, there is no 1/4 mile track within 200 miles :-/

However, there are several curvy road courses for HPDE's to hit a few times per year....and the best driving roads in the country are concentrated within an hour of me...one is right in my back yard....soooo for curvy canyon road street driving that I do EVERYDAY, and road course driving, which is my preference is a more usable BROADER power band than a centri setup

as far as "smoking the tires" goes....well I guess if you are use to having the same TQ as a the wife's grocery getter below 3500 RPM, ya might not ever learn how to drive a powerful car without "smoking the tire" lol

BTW...I meant that in good jest :-)

just talking a little smack within the family so to speak...I love all custom fast cars, and really respect the well built centri cars...I just have more fun with a different power band in different applications than a straight line sprint.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:33 AM
Y2KRoadster
Melting Slicks

as to the smack talk... I was moving all day (tired and annoyed lol) and slipped up and let that guy get under my skin for a sec lol
You are s till posting NOVEL size posts to peoples 1-3 sentences. I'd say that your feathers are still ruffled.

Curvy roads with a Maggie? I know this will probably get you fuming behind the keyboard again but, your car will be more of a handful with the Maggie/Roots/Twin Screw because of the low end torque. A centri is actually a better application for road racing, or, driving the curvy roads for MOST people...because most people cannot handle the kind of low end torque that a roots bring on those kinds of roads.

If you disagree or do not understand why...then maybe you should just stay away from F.I.

Last edited by Y2KRoadster; 04-05-2013 at 09:35 AM.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:17 AM
longrodlx
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

You guys do realize us centri guys can launch at whatever rpm we want and we can downshift. And if your rolling into the throttle to limit all that low end torque than what's the point? If you are building a car for pure fun on the street you can't beat the Maggie. We had a heads cam Maggie Vette with 500rwhp and 500rwtq thru an auto and it was a lot of fun and really fast. But as far as racing goes the centri car will win 9 times out of 10

Quick Reply: Supercharger Compression Ratio Question