C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slow Rides twin turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 11:54 AM
slow ride
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Slow Ride's twin turbo build

UPDATE!! RESULTS HERE

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...o-numbers.html

All started from this thread.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-f...-to-go-fi.html

A few pictures of the clutch/ c6z drivetrain. It's a 07' drivetrain so no 6060, but I did move the trans oil return to hit the front headset gears/bearings. I kept all the pumps/coolers for the trans/diff setup also.

Some 317's with stainless valves/tooley springs I cleaned up.

Figuring out what turbo I was going to use.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-f...ight-know.html

Manifolds/turbos modified. I'll be able to pull the exhaust pipes and service the clutch without touching the turbos.

Downgraded to a ls6 intake and stock TB. Couldn't leave it at that so I ported them. Also using the larger Treadstone intercooler core with a 3.5" outlet.

Fuel system is a walbro 255/400 combo with the 400 on a hobbs. I didn't get many pictures, but both pumps run off battery voltage and I added a bulkhead to the plate for the 400 to pump through it's own -6 line and y into the factory line/255 then goes -8 to the filter, etc. It's all carbon inpregnated PTFE lines. Still need to finish up the rails, etc.

Lots of random progress. Added a ton of heat shielding and mounted the turbos. Custom oil feed off the sending unit with -3 lines.

Had to mod the oil drains to keep them short.

I'm sure I missed quite a few things but you get the idea. I think it's turning out better than I had expected.

Last edited by slow ride; 06-14-2015 at 10:00 AM.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:37 PM
Vert_Fan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome work!

I can't wait to see what kind of boost control you get with this setup.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:27 PM
slow ride
Drifting

It was a toss up on where to put them. I wanted to go at the bend before the turbo, but with the batwing pan it would have taken a act of god to get them to fit. I don't really like to put things by the scroll of the turbo, but these are not as far into it as APS turbos so it should be fine. I ported the housings to direct airflow towards the small outlets. We'll find out how it goes as I only have 38mm gates, but not a lot of bends in the way either so...... Since the turbos are standard 62-1 wheels in a b cover I should need more exhaust flow through the turbine to get shaft speed up compared to billet CEA wheels, etc (in theory anyway ) Just have to seee how the backpressure is with the 65mm exhaust wheel and .82 v band housing with 3" dual exhaust.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:10 PM
JDS99
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

Awesome work Slow ride. I like seeing these sorts of builds. I know there are countless hours here to get you where it sits right now. Can't believe you kept that oil pan though!! I wanted to melt mine down after pulling the engine, haha.

On the turbos, you going to run a scavenger pump for the oil? Hard to tell from the photos, but looks like the oil drain is below the pan and cartridge may be below oil level??

Turbo placement looks nice, and clear line of sight for the 3" downpipes.

Keep up the good work! Looks like you'll be done in a week or so, right?
Old 12-30-2012, 01:06 PM
slow ride
Drifting

Yea, I only kept the pan due to how they seem to work better on a road course and I never removed the engine this entire build. I'd like to think that on low boost and e85 I could still make a few laps at mid america/road america with the turbo setup and not melt everything. I've been so lazy to move the car that it still sits in the same spot I r&r'd the drivetrain.

Yes, I'll be using a Turbowerx EXA pump (working on that today). Also making the ls1 steam tube work with the ls6 intake. Countless hours of porting, grinding, etc to make things fit and flow well. I don't tend to stop and take a lot of pictures when working so this is rare for me to post about it. It tends to put pressure on someone to give results and even though I'm sure it will work out in the end I'll probably have some de-bugging to do If you don't count my hours of work, this setup is really not that expensive after selling off my heads/cam parts and having parts hook ups. It's all the little things that really add up for the fuel system, scavenge pump, lines, etc.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:06 PM
sami85L98
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Now this is real good stuff, seems lot more work than installing A&A kit....lol. I assume you still had same block you built few yrs ago with mahle pistons and such...? if you still had it than thumps up.

Love your garage man, lot roomier than my single car garage. it was too cold and not enough room in my garage so i setup heads and piston/rods filing rings in my kitchen spare....lol.

Great build n sharing pictures and such. GL on project like this, lot more fun than SC sissy kits.

Now onto the LS6 oil pan, you can upgrade to LS2 oil pan for 300-400 and sell yours to recoupe some, only thing you need to modify oil pickup to adjust gap between oil pickup and what ? forgot...

Last edited by sami85L98; 12-30-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:22 PM
slow ride
Drifting

Thanks, the attached garage is 900 sq ft with heat, but I have plenty of room to build a shop some day with a lift and heated floor I'd like to build more of a drag car some day (thats easy to work on ) since I have a 1/4 mile track 10 minutes away. It sure would be nice to have a shop for all this crap ha.

Same old 383 I built 6 years ago to replace a dead #7 ls6. That happened 1 or 2 months after buying the car and was a real kick in the junk. Crackerjack Mahle pistons and all The ones I've seen break (probably due to both tuning and piston material) were all deep dished style where the dish gets really close the the top ring land. Mine are the 6cc flat top style (well almost flat) so they should be a little stronger around the top ring, but who knows. I've always said it's not ideal, but should take a decent amount of properly tuned boost.

As long as it fits I'll run the batwing pan. I do think I could have fit full e covers on the turbos with a c6 pan though. I'd really like to see if one could fit the newer 64mm billet turbonetics wheel into the small b covers. I might do some digging for later down the road.

Last edited by slow ride; 12-30-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:10 PM
Arun@Dasilvamotorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kudo's do you for tackling such big job like this own your own. When it's all said and done-the results are just gonna be that much sweeter!

Old 12-30-2012, 05:12 PM
bradenW
Drifting

Talent! Thanks for sharing the pics of all the work you've done so far.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:34 PM
ITSQUIK
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Very impressive stuff!!
Old 12-31-2012, 04:20 PM
JDS99
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by sami85L98
Love your garage man, lot roomier than my single car garage. it was too cold and not enough room in my garage so i setup heads and piston/rods filing rings in my kitchen spare....lol.
What's wrong with doing car stuff in the kitchen??
Attached Images  
Old 12-31-2012, 06:27 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

NICE BUILD!!

Subscribed...
Old 01-10-2013, 08:23 PM
Vert_Fan
Instructor

Originally Posted by slow ride
It was a toss up on where to put them. I wanted to go at the bend before the turbo, but with the batwing pan it would have taken a act of god to get them to fit. I don't really like to put things by the scroll of the turbo, but these are not as far into it as APS turbos so it should be fine. I ported the housings to direct airflow towards the small outlets. We'll find out how it goes as I only have 38mm gates, but not a lot of bends in the way either so...... Since the turbos are standard 62-1 wheels in a b cover I should need more exhaust flow through the turbine to get shaft speed up compared to billet CEA wheels, etc (in theory anyway ) Just have to seee how the backpressure is with the 65mm exhaust wheel and .82 v band housing with 3" dual exhaust.
I've never held an APS turbo so I don't know but pictures do show the wastegate hole further up the scroll.

Do you know if the APS wastegate location has the exhaust gas exposed to much of the turbine yet at that point? How does the turbine wheel exposure compare to yours for the port area?

I hope it's coming along nicely for you.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:53 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Great idea man. Looks dope.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:44 PM
slow ride
Drifting

It's a decent size port and I'd say it might be larger than the aps port from the pictures I've seen. If anything I see it helping boost control and possibly hurting maximum output, but I really feel it will work out just fine.

God I'm slow at working on this thing (hence the name). I put so much thought into simple things and it just takes longer and longer. I've still got quite a few months of winter up here so it's all good. Thanks for all the complements guys
Old 01-10-2013, 09:46 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

,,all good man,..take your time.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:01 PM
JoeyG
Safety Car

Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Better to do it correctly (sometimes astetically) the first time, then to have to redo it later on. Very nice progression

Get notified of new replies

To Slow Rides twin turbo

Old 01-11-2013, 12:52 AM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Great work so far!
Old 01-11-2013, 02:18 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Impressive work! Thanks for taking the time to take and upload the pics to go along. Pics always make it more enjoyable to follow along.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:16 AM
MawneeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice build. Your hotside placement and orientation is awesome. I love the forward thinking. I bet it took forever to get that just right but that is going to save you so many headaches in the future.

Quick Reply: Slow Rides twin turbo