Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous
C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth Sponsored by
A&A Superchargers

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 01-07-2013, 03:54 PM   #1
whitesmokels1
CF Senior Member

Markus Perry
Default School me on superchargers.

I've had turbos and know if you can weld piping, you can do anything but superchargers are a little different. Are all superchargers basically interchangeable? if i buy a C5 bracket, can i bolt any supercharger to it or are they model specific?
I have a friend wanting to sell a Vortech V-1 S trim he pulled off his LT1 camaro really cheap. could i buy his head unit, a new bracket, piping, bov, injectors, and bap and go?

what should i look at when buying a used supercharger? (shaft play, slack in the gears?)
whitesmokels1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:45 PM   #2
4DRUSH
CF Senior Member

You're better off buying a complete kit from A&A or ECS.

(ECS is better)
4DRUSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:59 PM   #3
TRIZ
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

(A&A is better)
TRIZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:08 PM   #4
whitesmokels1
CF Senior Member

Markus Perry

Uh oh. I think this thread just turned into a war.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:16 PM   #5
Blitzkrieg
AKA "The CLOWN"
Support Corvetteforum!

Click the image to open in full size.
Blitzkrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:45 PM   #6
gregs94
CF Senior Member

most will say AA or ECS, if you want to make the most power and have the fastest car on the street you should look into a powerdyne kit, best quality out there and customer service is second to none
Click the image to open in full size.
gregs94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:33 PM   #7
longrodlx
CF Senior Member

That powerdyne post has to be a joke lol. Powerdynes are garbage for high HP cars. They are descent for about 6psi on a mustang or ford truck. But I would never buy one. I just bought a D1sc A&A kit. Gonna be installing it in the next week or so
longrodlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:50 AM   #8
4DRUSH
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIZ View Post

(A&A is better)
OP wanted Schooled, not Fooled
Old 01-08-2013, 01:31 AM   #9
MVP'S ZO6
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIZ View Post

(A&A is better)
To chime in here there's really only two company's that make a blower kit that I'd put on my vette. A&A and ECS. In the end it's personal choice. With both kits in order to go "Super Fast" your going to have to buy more then just a base kit. The base A&A kit is a bit cheaper then the base ECS kit. The base ECS kits generally run paxton novi 1500 blowes the A&A kits generally run vortech V2 SI trim blowers. Vortech owns Paxton. Litterally speaking. A lot of the ECS guys seem to step up to the Novi 2000 blower right off the bat and put a restrictor plate in there to limit boost. (There has been some controversy as to wheather or not the restrictor plate is bad for the head units but I personally don't think so but I've been wrong before. The next step up from the V2 SI trim is the vortech T trim. These like the novi 2000 blowers have been over spun to be in the 800+ WHP range where the novi 2K has also been over spun and produced 800+ WHP maybe a little more. Then there's the vortech YSi which is generally the big boy blower that comes in a relatively small package. Novi's equivilant if you call it that is the Novi 2500 which if I'm not mistaken has a YSi impeller but a bigger volute than the YSi. However I've seen certain classes of racing that won't allow the novi 2.5K but they will allow the YSi. With that said there have been people who are serious about thier racing who have went or were attempting to go from the novi 2.5K to the vortech YSi for that purpose. ECS and thier staff typically spend more time at the drag track then the staff at A&A. That's good because they test and develop and improve their kits there as well as help out customers who drag race. The A&A crew is also always spending countless hours and money refining their kits. Both company's have cars with thier kits in the 8 second range. Based on poles I've seen in the past on these forums there seem to be more people out there who have chosen A&A but that could be do too many reasons. I personally have an A&A Kit on my car with a YSi. If I had to buy an A&A kit all over again, I'd spend the money right off the bat for the YSi and just restrict it.

Both company's will try and sell you their own kits naturally if you were to call each one. However both company's are not opposed to installing the others kit at thier shop if that's what the customer wants. Go to each website, look at the details of each kit and see which one fits your budget for what you want then call each company and talk to them and see what you think and make your decision from there

Good luck!!

Post up if you have questions. I'll try to not be too bias.

Edit there's actually three centri blower kits that I'd put on my car but one is way out of my price range but that particular kit is indeed bad ***!! Dallas performance.

Last edited by MVP'S ZO6; 01-08-2013 at 01:35 AM.
MVP'S ZO6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:39 AM   #10
Architect
CF Senior Member

Just don't take your car to ECS. A&A is better btw.

Last edited by JimTN; 01-08-2013 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Unnecessary rhetoric
Architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:48 AM   #11
MVP'S ZO6
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architect View Post
Just don't take your car to ECS. A&A is better btw.
huh?

Why did my post get edited by a moderator? Did I sat something wrong?

Last edited by MVP'S ZO6; 01-09-2013 at 06:37 AM.
MVP'S ZO6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:35 AM   #12
stevieturbo
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesmokels1 View Post
I've had turbos and know if you can weld piping, you can do anything but superchargers are a little different. Are all superchargers basically interchangeable? if i buy a C5 bracket, can i bolt any supercharger to it or are they model specific?
I have a friend wanting to sell a Vortech V-1 S trim he pulled off his LT1 camaro really cheap. could i buy his head unit, a new bracket, piping, bov, injectors, and bap and go?

what should i look at when buying a used supercharger? (shaft play, slack in the gears?)
I agree with the other posters, it will be easier and better just to buy a full kit.

You can weld pipework just the same way.

Blower is mechanically driven, and is available in clockwise or counter clockwise rotation, depending on how you position the unit. So you must get the correct one.

If the blower intake faces forward, it is generally CCW. If it faces rearwards, generally it is CW.

And all brackets will be engine and vehicle specific. No such parts off the Camaro will fit a Corvette.

Only parts that may be usable are the blower if correct rotation, BOV and BAP as they are generic.
stevieturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:43 AM   #13
gregs94
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longrodlx View Post
That powerdyne post has to be a joke lol. Powerdynes are garbage for high HP cars. They are descent for about 6psi on a mustang or ford truck. But I would never buy one. I just bought a D1sc A&A kit. Gonna be installing it in the next week or so
joke? it's the best headunit money can buy, not to mention bracket design is by far the best/strongest brackets available on the market today, so i don't know why you think this is a joke.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:53 AM   #14
gcolella
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs94 View Post
joke? it's the best headunit money can buy, not to mention bracket design is by far the best/strongest brackets available on the market today, so i don't know why you think this is a joke.
I was in the barber shop yesterday,and they were using a powerdyne to dry hair! Lol
If you wanna go fast and be reliable ECS hands down!
gcolella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:17 AM   #15
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321

btw, our pricing actually isn't higher, it's slightly less when you compare the same kit to the same kit. It's just faster...

Last edited by DOUG @ ECS; 01-08-2013 at 12:30 PM.
DOUG @ ECS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:17 AM   #16
2003VETT
CF Senior Member

Location: Still the Fastest Stock Bottom End Blown LS1/ 2010 ECS CC 10.50 CHAMP Hamilton, NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcolella View Post
I was in the barber shop yesterday,and they were using a powerdyne to dry hair! Lol
If you wanna go fast and be reliable ECS hands down!
But you have no hair!!!
2003 Spiral Grey Coupe. ECS Paxton Novi/Meth, ECS stage 1 Fuel system, Kooks Headers, Ti Exhaust, RPM Level V, 3:42's, Yank 3800, ECS Blower Cam. Tuned by the hands of the Devil@ECS.
Original LS1 STOCK bottom end and STOCK LS1 Heads
11/16/2012 - 9.33 @ 145.7.
10/24/2013 - 9.16@ 148
2003VETT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:17 AM   #17
speedraider
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs94 View Post
their impellers explode like m80's
speedraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:08 AM   #18
gregs94
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedraider View Post
their impellers explode like m80's
They move a ton of air, no other head unit compares to powerdyne superior quality
Old 01-08-2013, 12:29 PM   #19
4DRUSH
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003VETT View Post
But you have no hair!!!
Good catch
Old 01-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #20
whitesmokels1
CF Senior Member

Markus Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieturbo View Post
I agree with the other posters, it will be easier and better just to buy a full kit.

You can weld pipework just the same way.

Blower is mechanically driven, and is available in clockwise or counter clockwise rotation, depending on how you position the unit. So you must get the correct one.

If the blower intake faces forward, it is generally CCW. If it faces rearwards, generally it is CW.

And all brackets will be engine and vehicle specific. No such parts off the Camaro will fit a Corvette.

Only parts that may be usable are the blower if correct rotation, BOV and BAP as they are generic.
So if i got a bracket for a C5 i could put any head unit on it as long as the rotation was correct?
What I'm thinking is, if I get this V1 and bought a bracket, I could upgrade later down the road if i wanted?
Old 01-08-2013, 12:46 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous
Reload this Page School me on superchargers.