C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Help me with a Mojave Mile nitrous setup

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 04:24 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts
Default Please Help me with a Mojave Mile nitrous setup

Hi Guys,

i'm going to be running the Mojave Mile in October this year and I can't freakin wait!!

http://www.mojavemile.com/

this year they will be having the "MAGNUM" event that has a 1.5 mile long track so I should be able to go considerably faster than a normal 1 mile event!

I am in the process of getting my car together. They have a 1.5 mile option this year so we'll see what my car will do! I really would like to try and hit 200mph but that is probably unrealistic in 1.5 miles with only ~550whp?!

I want to run as big a nitrous shot as can be done safely for this event only. I will not be running the nitrous any other time. I have two 10lb bottles from my old car that had a ZEX setup and the zex nitrous nozzle and lines but will need solenoids and whatever control system you all recommend.

my car:
1999 C5 targa m6
3.42 stock rear end
stock T56 with new McLeod single disc clutch

my motor:
1999 stock ls1 bottom end with 85k miles (!!!)
Elite Engineering catch can
big cam similar to ms3 with stock heads and fresh springs
fast 90/90 setup
1 7/8 headers with x pipe and borla catback
powerbond under drive pulley and Katech belt tensioner
Halltech intake (vararam style)
pro tuned and made 425whp at Synergy Motorsports

255lph in tank pump with the green top ford injectors and stock fuel rails.

my questions:

1. Do you guys think a 125-150hp shot is safe/reliable on this setup? Is this fuel system going to support that much power safely?

2. Do you recommend I run race fuel on the event day? I will be towing the car there so I don't mind filling it up with C16 or something. I really don't want to blow up the motor!

3. If I make 10 runs how many 10lb bottles at 150 shot do you think I will go through? the car will be on street tires so I'll only be spraying from 3rd gear up

4. What kind of kit setup and controller do you recommend? I ran a NX wet kit and this ZEX dry kit before and so I have no allegiance to wet or dry, just whatever will get this job done without spending a ton of money

5. any guesses what this setup will do in 1.5 miles??!

I'll be documenting the whole thing on my GoPro and will post it all up here too so should be REAL fun!!

hoping you nitrous Jedi in here can help me put together a mean setup!!

Last edited by neverstop; 03-01-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:36 PM
fotoboy
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

From what i understand its not smart to spray above 4th. With that being said Ive sprayed 5th quite a few times. I know I got 2 solid runs and 1 decent run on a 250 shot in the quarter. My guess is your gonna need about 3-4 bottle to be safe.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:19 PM
JoeyG
Safety Car

Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by neverstop

1. Do you guys think a 125-150hp shot is safe/reliable on this setup? Is this fuel system going to support that much power safely?

2. Do you recommend I run race fuel on the event day? I will be towing the car there so I don't mind filling it up with C16 or something. I really don't want to blow up the motor!

3. If I make 10 runs how many 10lb bottles at 150 shot do you think I will go through? the car will be on street tires so I'll only be spraying from 3rd gear up

4. What kind of kit setup and controller do you recommend? I ran a NX wet kit and this ZEX dry kit before and so I have no allegiance to wet or dry, just whatever will get this job done without spending a ton of money

5. any guesses what this setup will do in 1.5 miles??!

I'll be documenting the whole thing on my GoPro and will post it all up here too so should be REAL fun!!

hoping you nitrous Jedi in here can help me put together a mean setup!!
1.) You'll be kinda on the borderline for the 255 Pump, if nothing else add a boost-a-pump for when the nitrous is turned on.
2.) When I run the standing mile I use 112 or better fuelwith a 50/50 mix to 91/93 pump for a safety cushion. I street drive my car everywhere though.
3.) Plan 2 runs per bottle for safety sake. I spray in 4th and 5th with a 150hp shot previously. This year I jumping to a 2 stage 250hp total kit and will swap bottles and weigh them after each run.
4.) I run a nitrous outlet wet for stage 1 (175hp) and stage 2 is Brand X additional wet kit (75hp).
5.) with 515rwhp I consistently run 177-179.2mph at Maxton N.C. So from 175-177mph would be my guess.

I run a RPM stage 5 trans and modified stage 3 diff. I spray in 4th and 5th gears without issues. The safety requirements need to be looked at as it sucks to show up and find your speed limited because of lack of equipment.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:23 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeyG
1.) You'll be kinda on the borderline for the 255 Pump, if nothing else add a boost-a-pump for when the nitrous is turned on.
2.) When I run the standing mile I use 112 or better fuelwith a 50/50 mix to 91/93 pump for a safety cushion. I street drive my car everywhere though.
3.) Plan 2 runs per bottle for safety sake. I spray in 4th and 5th with a 150hp shot previously. This year I jumping to a 2 stage 250hp total kit and will swap bottles and weigh them after each run.
4.) I run a nitrous outlet wet for stage 1 (175hp) and stage 2 is Brand X additional wet kit (75hp).
5.) with 515rwhp I consistently run 177-179.2mph at Maxton N.C. So from 175-177mph would be my guess.

I run a RPM stage 5 trans and modified stage 3 diff. I spray in 4th and 5th gears without issues. The safety requirements need to be looked at as it sucks to show up and find your speed limited because of lack of equipment.

( i dunno anyone with more vette/standing mile nitrous experience then this dude)
Old 03-01-2013, 05:56 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

AWESOME! thanks for the insight.

1. thanks, I had not seen the boost a pump and looks like cheap insurance. I did a little more research and the hot wire kit sounds like a good investment too.

4. that is perfect. I'll probably just run a simple wet kit on WOT switch then at the 150 shot level then

The safety requirements are pretty strict for sure and it looks like my car is going to require a reasonable amount of new safety stuff to try and go >170mph so I'm working on that now. I just hope no roll cage will be necessary.

Last edited by neverstop; 03-01-2013 at 06:11 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:09 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

hey Joey,

since you seem like the standing mile nitrous C5 boss of this forum hope you don't mind answering a few more questions? I've had lots of fast nitrous cars but this is my first C5 and will be my first mile event.

what kind of tires are you running? not sure if you have any thoughts on nitto nt555r drag radials but that was what I was planning on running unless you suggest otherwise.

do you think my stock transmission will survive spraying through 5th gear?

it looks like I will probably need 6th gear for the 1.5 mile track they'll be running this year. do you think at 550whp with a 1.5 mile track that my 6th gear will take the nitrous without breaking? unfortunately an upgraded transmission is not in the cards this year for the vette

anyone else in here ever sprayed 6th gear??
Old 03-01-2013, 06:10 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

I'm using this to see if I will need to use 6th gear or not

http://xse.com/leres/ss/calculator.html
Old 03-01-2013, 06:17 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by fotoboy
From what i understand its not smart to spray above 4th. With that being said Ive sprayed 5th quite a few times. I know I got 2 solid runs and 1 decent run on a 250 shot in the quarter. My guess is your gonna need about 3-4 bottle to be safe.

that just sounds wicked man.... I can't imagine spraying a 250 shot through 5th gear!

are you running a stock t56? I'm worried that spraying 5th and 6th could break my transmission and if your stock T56 survived the obscene torque of a 250 shot then I would guess my 5th gear should be fine.

I really REALLY don't want to destroy my transmission and perhaps ruin the whole event by blowing my transmission up on my first run or something after driving >600 miles so maybe I'll just spray 3rd, 4th and 5th and then go through 6th on the motor?
Old 03-01-2013, 06:39 PM
JoeyG
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

hey Joey,

since you seem like the standing mile nitrous C5 boss of this forum hope you don't mind answering a few more questions? I've had lots of fast nitrous cars but this is my first C5 and will be my first mile event.

what kind of tires are you running? not sure if you have any thoughts on nitto nt555r drag radials but that was what I was planning on running unless you suggest otherwise.

do you think my stock transmission will survive spraying through 5th gear?

it looks like I will probably need 6th gear for the 1.5 mile track they'll be running this year. do you think at 550whp with a 1.5 mile track that my 6th gear will take the nitrous without breaking? unfortunately an upgraded transmission is not in the cards this year for the vette

anyone else in here ever sprayed 6th gear??
Nononononononono on the standing mile Boss thing, there are many with more experience and speed than me. I have had the best luck with Mickey Thompson drag radials and Michelin Pilot Sport tires. I currently run 345/35/18 MT drag radials. the Toyo and Nitto tires also work well. The BFG KDW's about killed me on the highway and won't hold with any power in the mile. Want to guesss how I know? lost traction going into 3rd on KDW's

The stock trans will prob hold, just don't hit it right when you get into gear and allow a little settling of the trans before you engage the nitrous.. Wait until your in the higher 3k lower 4k range to spray in 5th. Do not spray nitrous in 6th! the gear set can't take the load. you can run 5th gear alot longer than you think. My target with my tire set is to be at 5200rpm in 5th to hit 200mph in the mile. Right now my best is 4730rpm at 192.2mph. http://s486.photobucket.com/albums/r...t=GOPR0007.mp4

Last edited by JoeyG; 03-01-2013 at 06:50 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:03 PM
JoeyG
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

It gets really fun driving in a caged fully contained seat Vette btw

Old 03-01-2013, 08:49 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

wow. your car is seriously awesome. like what my car wants to be when it grows up. haha...

i know it on the tires! the crap nitto street tires on my car are already fighting for traction into 3rd and you have 100 more hp than I do!

this is going to be interesting with the nitrous. Maybe I should just rig it up to a push button or something to get that delay when it goes into gear? hmmmm..... is that what that metal ring on your steering wheel is?

I'm assuming that 198mph run was done on the dual kit 250hp setup? that is pretty impressive that you are that close to 200mph = badass
Old 03-01-2013, 09:05 PM
JoeyG
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

I've only been 192 on the books, 195 unofficially with a 150hp shot and aggressive tune. Yeah the metal ring holds the nitrous pushbutton that I use along with a wide open throttle switch and window switch. So If I'm 3k rpms and above + wide open + hit the button the slow piece of crap screams. For a whim I went 1238miles one each way driving to North Carolina for Hot Rod's Top Speed shootout in that setup posted above.

Last edited by JoeyG; 03-01-2013 at 09:07 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:34 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

I've only been 192 on the books, 195 unofficially with a 150hp shot and aggressive tune. Yeah the metal ring holds the nitrous pushbutton that I use along with a wide open throttle switch and window switch. So If I'm 3k rpms and above + wide open + hit the button the slow piece of crap screams. For a whim I went 1238miles one each way driving to North Carolina for Hot Rod's Top Speed shootout in that setup posted above.

hahaha... I can just imagine you pulling up to the drive through to get burgers in that beast.

two last questions, i promise

1. would you care to elaborate on your suspension setup a little? my car is currently lowered 1.25" on the 1999 z51 setup with electronic shocks (which sucks) and I think I'm going to have to upgrade my setup to be stable at those speeds

2. care to share where you got that steering wheel button? I was just googling around and can't find one like that.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:50 PM
JoeyG
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

1. would you care to elaborate on your suspension setup a little? my car is currently lowered 1.25" on the 1999 z51 setup with electronic shocks (which sucks) and I think I'm going to have to upgrade my setup to be stable at those speeds

2. care to share where you got that steering wheel button? I was just googling around and can't find one like that.
Suspension is the first version Hotchkis C5 sway bars, revalved Z51 shocks, 2.75" mini-tub, and lowered on stock bolts with no cut bushings, pretty basic setup. I really want to swap to coilovers very soon. There is alot of lift in the front of the C5 at speeds. Thats why Dave Pilgrim and the Hinson Brothers C5 land speed racers use full chin spoilers. I just bought a Carbon lower lip to help try to reduce frontal lift a little bit. Full side skirts, rear spoiler, and maybe a slightly modified extractor hood would also help for a full tilt car.

The steering wheel button is just a Moroso coiled wire switch and a fuel line clamp with the rubber removed. I just ordered a new set of slightly larger clamps, if they work well I'll send you one drilled and stretched for the Moroso switch if you want.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:59 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Suspension is the first version Hotchkis C5 sway bars, revalved Z51 shocks, 2.75" mini-tub, and lowered on stock bolts with no cut bushings, pretty basic setup. I really want to swap to coilovers very soon. There is alot of lift in the front of the C5 at speeds. Thats why Dave Pilgrim and the Hinson Brothers C5 land speed racers use full chin spoilers. I just bought a Carbon lower lip to help try to reduce frontal lift a little bit. Full side skirts, rear spoiler, and maybe a slightly modified extractor hood would also help for a full tilt car.

The steering wheel button is just a Moroso coiled wire switch and a fuel line clamp with the rubber removed. I just ordered a new set of slightly larger clamps, if they work well I'll send you one drilled and stretched for the Moroso switch if you want.
thanks. that is a more simple suspension setup than I was imagining so that is great. I really want to just do the pfadt coilovers but we'll have to see how work looks over the next few months before jumping into that. It's good to know that a more basic setup will be fine though.

Thanks! for the offer on the switch!! I'll take you up on that for sure if your other clamps work as that setup looks like it would work great.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:49 AM
JoeyG
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

PM me your address, as I can't get a pm to go through to you
Old 04-02-2013, 11:43 PM
Navy Blue 210
Pro

Received 193 Likes on 147 Posts

Default Mohave Magnum 1 1/2 Mile Event

I am no nitrous expert but would like to contribute some thoughts.
I also want to hit 201 MPH in the Magnum and have a very similar
Starting point. 99 mn6 coupe ARH 1 7/8 LTS W/ Borla, VaraRam,
Fast 92 (ported by Tony Mamo) LS 2 TB.

My plan is to employ a dry plate set-up with 42lb green top injectors
A Lingenfelter in tank pump with a Kenne-Bell BAP and pump the pressure to 75 psi and pull timing accordingly.
Obviously the tune will be critical for both of our set-ups.

As has been stated before 6th gear is a big No-No.
Therefore 5th gear combination with axle ratio is the key.
Originally I planned 3:42 but even with a tall tire 6500-6700
Rpm is required.

But by changing to 3:15s 201+ can be reached in 5th gear between
5900-6100 rpm using 305/35/18 or 295/40/18 tires.
My plan would be spray the top of 4th&5th only from 4500-6200
Taking advantage of the torque without having to spin the stock
Bottom end to 6500+rpm.

I will go to the event in Oct this year to observe and learn.
This summer the plan is rebuild the trans&diff and replace the
Clutch and install the cage. Lots to do.

I wish you all the best in your quest!
I am local to you (Nor Cal) let me know if you go to any local shows
It would be cool to connect.

Get notified of new replies

To Please Help me with a Mojave Mile nitrous setup

Old 04-03-2013, 02:14 AM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

nice Navy!

how big of a shot are you planning on spraying? to hit 200mph+ in the 1.5 mile you'll probably need a 175 shot minimum?

should be a fun event for sure though! hit me up and I'll look forward to seeing you there!
Old 04-03-2013, 11:44 AM
mrujoint
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a little info for you concerning the nitrous shot. I'm installing a Nitrous Express plate system in a couple of weeks. I'm having the guys at Tick Performance in Mt. Airy, NC do the work. In my opinion, they are one of the best shops in the SE. They maintain that you should try not to exceed 600RWHP on a stock bottom end LS1 motor. With 475RWHP now, I'm pushing the limits with a 150 shot. Hope this helps and best of luck!
Old 04-03-2013, 02:55 PM
0jhaines
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default 75 psi fuel pressure

You mentioned below you are going to "pump the pressure to 75 psi". How are you going to do that? It would take an external aftermarket fuel pressure regulator to do that. I am assuming you are doing this to supply the added fuel needed for the nitrous. Keep in mind going from stock 58 psi to 75 psi only gives you about a 13% increase in injector flow. In addition your fuel pump flow capability goes down with pressure. Also the C5 pumps (including our high flow replacement) have an internal pressure relief valve that can start to open around that pressure so then you would loose a lot of flow if it were to activate. Unless you calibrate for the new effective injector size you would also only want the increased fuel pressure when the nitrous was active.

Dry systems can work great if done properly but I would probably recommend a different way of adding the extra fuel instead of trying to increase the fuel pressure to that level. For example, depending on the year of the vehicle, you could have the ECM command a richer fuel mixture when the nitrous is active. For a 1999 that isn't an easy option though. If you plan to run the nitrous in all gears/all RPM ranges you could have a nitrous only calibration that commanded a richer AFR and then switch back to a standard calibration when you weren't using the nitrous.

Just my $0.02.

Originally Posted by Navy Blue 210
I am no nitrous expert but would like to contribute some thoughts.
I also want to hit 201 MPH in the Magnum and have a very similar
Starting point. 99 mn6 coupe ARH 1 7/8 LTS W/ Borla, VaraRam,
Fast 92 (ported by Tony Mamo) LS 2 TB.

My plan is to employ a dry plate set-up with 42lb green top injectors
A Lingenfelter in tank pump with a Kenne-Bell BAP and pump the pressure to 75 psi and pull timing accordingly.
Obviously the tune will be critical for both of our set-ups.

As has been stated before 6th gear is a big No-No.
Therefore 5th gear combination with axle ratio is the key.
Originally I planned 3:42 but even with a tall tire 6500-6700
Rpm is required.

But by changing to 3:15s 201+ can be reached in 5th gear between
5900-6100 rpm using 305/35/18 or 295/40/18 tires.
My plan would be spray the top of 4th&5th only from 4500-6200
Taking advantage of the torque without having to spin the stock
Bottom end to 6500+rpm.

I will go to the event in Oct this year to observe and learn.
This summer the plan is rebuild the trans&diff and replace the
Clutch and install the cage. Lots to do.

I wish you all the best in your quest!
I am local to you (Nor Cal) let me know if you go to any local shows
It would be cool to connect.

Quick Reply: Please Help me with a Mojave Mile nitrous setup