C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maggie cooling issues* RESOLVED* WOOT!....updated

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 08:47 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Default Maggie cooling issues* RESOLVED* WOOT!....updated

Ok, I have a Dewitts radiator and the SPAL fans and the car still gets hot with the AC running....it did this with the old motor and the now with the new motor.....if I turn on the AC on a warm/hot day I can watch the temps keep rising even when cruising at 55...its fkin ridiculous that I can not keep this car cool. I watched it climb to 240 today before I shut off the AC and watched the temps drop down to normal.

My question is where is your intercooler mounted? Mine was installed down front before the AC condenser and the radiator which IMO is the issue...my car is lowered (basically sits 4 inches off the ground in front)

without the AC running the car is perfect.

My only thoughts are with the intercooler positioned where it is there is not enough space for adequate air flow combined with sitting so low and the hot air off the pavement.

considering moving the intercooler to open up that area

so I am open to suggestions
Old 04-07-2013, 09:47 PM
gunnerja
Melting Slicks

Received 88 Likes on 69 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I assume your running duel fans, are you positive your second fan is kicking on with the AC switch? My intercooler is in the same location and never a issue.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:08 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Pilot of Beer Force 1
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by gunnerja
I assume your running duel fans, are you positive your second fan is kicking on with the AC switch? My intercooler is in the same location and never a issue.
like I said...it has pretty much been this way since the beginning
Old 04-08-2013, 07:17 AM
liveaboard74
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ordered a radiator off of here from someone a couple of years back. Max cool, stay cool, something like that on the name. Don't remember. I questioned him several times about how big it was. When it got here I didn't have to ask any more. Had to raise the front end of the car up and get a two inch drop from A&A to get it to sit right. I have my fans running off the ignition switch. Wired them in straight to come on when you turn the key on . They stay on all the time, and I have a 160 in there. I"m back up to stock height on the car. Had it dropped but the radiator won't allow me to do that any more and its hit the 200s before after playing with some friends on the curves but she drops right back down .
I'd check the second fan like gunnerja said and that one really nice c6 you have gunnerja .

YA,, your way over what you should be running.
Only other thing I can think of is you have a air pocket or are you sure your radiator is not clogged some.
Dead heat of summer we all sneak a little antifreeze in the race cars when we're not suppose to but changing it over or back and forth is a time thing. Gone the whole nine yards on that to with the bleeder line over top the motor and that didn't help. . Had a issue sent the electric pump back to the factory and they put a bleeder in the pump itself. Now I don't have any more issues but it was air pockets. I could watch the temps jump 20 and 30 degree then fall when the water started moving again, Hoping that ended my problem with that car.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:04 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Pilot of Beer Force 1
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by liveaboard74
Ordered a radiator off of here from someone a couple of years back. Max cool, stay cool, something like that on the name. Don't remember. I questioned him several times about how big it was. When it got here I didn't have to ask any more. Had to raise the front end of the car up and get a two inch drop from A&A to get it to sit right. I have my fans running off the ignition switch. Wired them in straight to come on when you turn the key on . They stay on all the time, and I have a 160 in there. I"m back up to stock height on the car. Had it dropped but the radiator won't allow me to do that any more and its hit the 200s before after playing with some friends on the curves but she drops right back down .
I'd check the second fan like gunnerja said and that one really nice c6 you have gunnerja .

YA,, your way over what you should be running.
Only other thing I can think of is you have a air pocket or are you sure your radiator is not clogged some.
Dead heat of summer we all sneak a little antifreeze in the race cars when we're not suppose to but changing it over or back and forth is a time thing. Gone the whole nine yards on that to with the bleeder line over top the motor and that didn't help. . Had a issue sent the electric pump back to the factory and they put a bleeder in the pump itself. Now I don't have any more issues but it was air pockets. I could watch the temps jump 20 and 30 degree then fall when the water started moving again, Hoping that ended my problem with that car.
I can't think its a clogged radiator as I had this issue BEFORE the Dewitts and now I still have it....new motor with less than 5K on it, new water pump etc....no air in the system....as I said the only time this car gets warm is with the AC running ....
Old 04-08-2013, 08:28 AM
dankhts
Safety Car

Received 326 Likes on 203 Posts

One of my kids had a similar problem when he lowered his......turns out he left the air dam off.....no one could figure out why it would run hot even down the highway.... then I saw the air dam on a shelf in my garage one day.......yours' still on? Ya I know, but thought I'd mention it anyway.....
Old 04-08-2013, 09:04 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Pilot of Beer Force 1
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by dankhts
One of my kids had a similar problem when he lowered his......turns out he left the air dam off.....no one could figure out why it would run hot even down the highway.... then I saw the air dam on a shelf in my garage one day.......yours' still on? Ya I know, but thought I'd mention it anyway.....
still on...
Old 04-08-2013, 09:54 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 314 Likes on 207 Posts

You might try temporarily spacing the condenser forward an inch if you have the space to do it to see if it helps. Try spacing it at least at the bottom. I'm not a big advocate of having any significant space between the radiator and condenser. With the increased thickness of the Dewitts, you lose that space.

I'm assuming you still have your full shroud in place too.
I run a huge oil cooler to help remove heat that way.
The last thing that I did in my quest to cool my car down was run the WP319 Meziere water pump. Dropped my temps 15° in stop and go traffic, although I understand your issue seems to be at speed.

Offering products from A&A Superchargers, East Coast Superchargers, Mechman Alternators, Mantic clutches, RPS clutches, Kooks Headers, Lakewood, LG, Brian Tooley Racing, Comp Cams, FAST, ARP, UPP Turbo systems, Wiseco, Callies, K1, MAST Motorsports, Haltech and many more. PM me for details.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:38 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Pilot of Beer Force 1
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT56
You might try temporarily spacing the condenser forward an inch if you have the space to do it to see if it helps. Try spacing it at least at the bottom. I'm not a big advocate of having any significant space between the radiator and condenser. With the increased thickness of the Dewitts, you lose that space.

I'm assuming you still have your full shroud in place too.
I run a huge oil cooler to help remove heat that way.
The last thing that I did in my quest to cool my car down was run the WP319 Meziere water pump. Dropped my temps 15° in stop and go traffic, although I understand your issue seems to be at speed.
I will see about spacing...

full shroud

I suppose an oil cooler is an option

my issue is ONLY with the AC running....sitting it creeps up and moving doesn't seem to help unless I can get a clear stretch of road with no one in front of me for quite a distance but in late afternoon or moderate traffic thats just not possible

without the AC it doesn't matter the car maintains temp with no issues
Old 04-08-2013, 12:46 PM
liveaboard74
Drifting

Originally Posted by pewter99
I can't think its a clogged radiator as I had this issue BEFORE the Dewitts and now I still have it....new motor with less than 5K on it, new water pump etc....no air in the system....as I said the only time this car gets warm is with the AC running ....
Just direct the fans and space the front like mentioned. If that don't work, you might have to add a pusher fan in the front. Not that bad from Summit.
ONE LAST RESORT if that don't work. Get a tiger shark front end.

Just picking and I feel for you cause that would drive me crazy to.
All I know to do is hot the fans to come on when the car is on and what the others have mentioned.

Last edited by liveaboard74; 04-08-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:06 PM
LedfootLarry
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

I have a kit from a vendor on here RSD, you need to relocate the battery to the trunk, and if you check it out here
http://www.racespecialtydesigns.com/...&cat=33&page=1
Maybe send him a pm and get him involved in this post,
I can`t say how much it changed my IAT`s, but removing a heat source from in front of the rad helps a lot, my coolant temps are running cooler, and I was suffering from the same problem.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:18 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Pilot of Beer Force 1
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by LedfootLarry
I have a kit from a vendor on here RSD, you need to relocate the battery to the trunk, and if you check it out here
http://www.racespecialtydesigns.com/...&cat=33&page=1
Maybe send him a pm and get him involved in this post,
I can`t say how much it changed my IAT`s, but removing a heat source from in front of the rad helps a lot, my coolant temps are running cooler, and I was suffering from the same problem.

it may come to that
Old 04-08-2013, 11:33 PM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 809 Likes on 533 Posts

i'll go check my car real quick. i rarely ever see more than 195° at any speed.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:36 PM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

alright, my IC sits at about a 90° angle to the radiator in the air scoop opening (roughly a 45° angle leaning forward towards the front of the car).
Old 04-09-2013, 01:01 AM
Boosted_Z06_
Instructor

I can only give you advise of my setup I'm selling right now. Have you checked you intercooler pump? Mine was running a bit weak so heintz racing diagnosed the problem and resolved it. Also my intercooler is mounted in front of condenser on the radiator support. Basically the first thing that gets any air. Let me know if this doesn't fix it and I can run it by the guys. There very helpful anytime I ask.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:37 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Pilot of Beer Force 1
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by _zebra
alright, my IC sits at about a 90° angle to the radiator in the air scoop opening (roughly a 45° angle leaning forward towards the front of the car).
yeah mine sits basically horizontal under there (first thing that gets air also) my thinking is the fans don't have anywhere to push the hot air

I looked at buying a separate fan and relocating the IC somewhere much like the idea posted above
Old 04-10-2013, 01:57 PM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

maybe this is me just thinking out loud here, but wouldn't you want to avoid putting all the heat exchangers right on top of each other? i'd imagine that transfers a lot more heat-soak between them & makes each of them less efficient.

Get notified of new replies

To Maggie cooling issues* RESOLVED* WOOT!....updated

Old 06-12-2013, 07:38 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Pilot of Beer Force 1
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Default Today is the day

yeah I know this is an old thread but today I am going to start on this project.....gonna pull the front bumper/fascia and see about moving the heat exchanger up behind the license plate area and opening it up ala ricer style.... I will install a screen over the opening and if this doesn't work I can cover up the hole with the filler plate and try something new...

I will try and take some pics as I go....
Old 06-12-2013, 10:20 AM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 960 Likes on 572 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

Originally Posted by pewter99
yeah I know this is an old thread but today I am going to start on this project.....gonna pull the front bumper/fascia and see about moving the heat exchanger up behind the license plate area and opening it up ala ricer style.... I will install a screen over the opening and if this doesn't work I can cover up the hole with the filler plate and try something new...

I will try and take some pics as I go....
I had the same problem. Same setup. I took the plastic cover off of the top of the radiator and heat exchanger and found a substantial amount of debri on the radiator fins and heat exchanger fins. The car seems to be running cooler. Today will be the real test, as temps are going to be in the 90's. Let me know how your project turns out!
Old 06-12-2013, 12:09 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Pilot of Beer Force 1
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran

well the front end is off and the the heat exchanger is out....no debris up there....going to buy a few parts to fab up a new bracket and extend the hoses...the fins weren't even clogged so I can only assume it was a free space issue.....time will tell

where can I buy a filler plate with mesh in it or do I have to make my own?

hope I can get this all back together

Quick Reply: Maggie cooling issues* RESOLVED* WOOT!....updated