C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

QuickTime bellhousing, any known mods needed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 08:51 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Default QuickTime bellhousing, any known mods needed?

Just installed my C6 quicktime bellhousing in my C5(I have entire C6 drivetrain now) and although I have not installed the diff yet,...the bell housing is on the car,..and it looks pretty low, considering the height of the oil pan.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:08 PM
0rodney@rpmtransmissions
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've never installed a C6 bellhousing/Torque tube in a C5.... not sure the shifter location will be right. Let me know how that works out. We have installed countless C6 trans/diff/rear cradle,etc.... but not the bell and tube. Are you going to use a C6 lower slave as the bellhousings are different depth ?
Old 04-15-2013, 09:54 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by rodney@rpmtransmissions
I've never installed a C6 bellhousing/Torque tube in a C5.... not sure the shifter location will be right. Let me know how that works out. We have installed countless C6 trans/diff/rear cradle,etc.... but not the bell and tube. Are you going to use a C6 lower slave as the bellhousings are different depth ?
That dont look like it is going to work at all Jamie.. Post more pic,s on this install buddy.. Robert
Old 04-15-2013, 10:51 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rodney@rpmtransmissions

Yea I am not sure. I guess I can check and compare the two torque tubes(C5/C6) next to each other, measure where each shifter block is located, vs the end of the tube, + length of bell housing. I do hope that the shifter location works but,..in the end, if it is off at all,...I would just cut and build the sheetmetal around it. I have some weird idea to redue my dash board how I want it....not how it came from GM. Maybe this would just push me towards that sooner. I'll keep everyone posted here. If the diff shows up,....or maybe I will just put the torque tube and shifter up by itself to pre fit. Or actually, there is another trqtube laying around so I will just try that and see how it lines up. I know the torque tube is shorter, just not sure on which side of the shifter. Thanks for the heads up,...I didn't think about that. Woulda sucked to have been ***** deep....to find that out.

It's a Tilton slave which has the C6 line and quick disconnect pull pin(like a standard C6 clutch assy) My car obviously a C5 has the standard pain in *** style attachment... the tilton, you could change to whatever fitting/adapter you want...but, my clutch master(C5 which I think I have an adjustable in mine currently), no can do, so I am gonna buy a C6 master cylinder...hope it fits my car.... and attach everything. So, C6 style everything for the most part. Will keep you updated. Unfortunately I am away from the car till the weekends...maybe I can get my cuzz to test fit.

Originally Posted by robert miller
That dont look like it is going to work at all Jamie.. Post more pic,s on this install buddy.. Robert

Only thing I am worried about is ground clearance. That extra lip hanging down, just scares me. My car is low. It's not getting any higher...I even thought about lower. So, I can't be the only person here rolling around with a low car and a steel bell housing. Or even a factory ride car,...are you guys scraping anything or did you machine it down? Not afraid to cut the thing just wanna do it now before the trans goes in.

Only thing different is my oil pan vs the C6(i have a C5 wing). Cradle symmetry should be similar... frame rails should be similar.... I am not saying it's too low....but damn, so far, it looks to be lower then my pan.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:30 AM
02402ramair
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It will clearance itself

Originally Posted by Smoove
Yea I am not sure. I guess I can check and compare the two torque tubes(C5/C6) next to each other, measure where each shifter block is located, vs the end of the tube, + length of bell housing. I do hope that the shifter location works but,..in the end, if it is off at all,...I would just cut and build the sheetmetal around it. I have some weird idea to redue my dash board how I want it....not how it came from GM. Maybe this would just push me towards that sooner. I'll keep everyone posted here. If the diff shows up,....or maybe I will just put the torque tube and shifter up by itself to pre fit. Or actually, there is another trqtube laying around so I will just try that and see how it lines up. I know the torque tube is shorter, just not sure on which side of the shifter. Thanks for the heads up,...I didn't think about that. Woulda sucked to have been ***** deep....to find that out.

It's a Tilton slave which has the C6 line and quick disconnect pull pin(like a standard C6 clutch assy) My car obviously a C5 has the standard pain in *** style attachment... the tilton, you could change to whatever fitting/adapter you want...but, my clutch master(C5 which I think I have an adjustable in mine currently), no can do, so I am gonna buy a C6 master cylinder...hope it fits my car.... and attach everything. So, C6 style everything for the most part. Will keep you updated. Unfortunately I am away from the car till the weekends...maybe I can get my cuzz to test fit.

Only thing I am worried about is ground clearance. That extra lip hanging down, just scares me. My car is low. It's not getting any higher...I even thought about lower. So, I can't be the only person here rolling around with a low car and a steel bell housing. Or even a factory ride car,...are you guys scraping anything or did you machine it down? Not afraid to cut the thing just wanna do it now before the trans goes in.

Only thing different is my oil pan vs the C6(i have a C5 wing). Cradle symmetry should be similar... frame rails should be similar.... I am not saying it's too low....but damn, so far, it looks to be lower then my pan.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:58 AM
Chris Stewart
Safety Car

Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by 02402ramair
It will clearance itself
Yes that's what mine looks like. It hits if i go over a speed bump too fast, at stock ride height. We re-used a manual bell with my auto swap. The auto SFI bell has better clearance below and inspection port, but maybe stretching the SFI rule.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:06 PM
JDS99
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

In the picture, is the back of the engine at the installed height? Looks low in back making clearance look worse. Mine definitely didn't have that much room between the top of the bell and tunnel entry. I actually swapped to hinson mounts to give a little more room up top. I'm stock height, but haven't finished my build yet to share clearance issues to speed bumps. The bell does hang about 1" below the oil pan.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:19 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

It will clearance itself
Low rider sparks going down the road for sure. Jamie buddy with you that does look low. Hope it works out man. Robert
Old 04-16-2013, 02:41 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

It will clearance itself
It'll buff.

Originally Posted by Chris Stewart
Yes that's what mine looks like. It hits if i go over a speed bump too fast, at stock ride height. We re-used a manual bell with my auto swap. The auto SFI bell has better clearance below and inspection port, but maybe stretching the SFI rule.
Great info. Thanks. My car is loooow
(old pic)

So I will with out a doubt, check mine a little better with engine up in final location... take some measurements, and see if it will work. If not, I will without a doubt slice that think down a hair. Last thing I wanna do is face plant something, anything at 5 mph, or 150mph.

Thanks Chris.

Originally Posted by JDS99
In the picture, is the back of the engine at the installed height? Looks low in back making clearance look worse. Mine definitely didn't have that much room between the top of the bell and tunnel entry. I actually swapped to hinson mounts to give a little more room up top. I'm stock height, but haven't finished my build yet to share clearance issues to speed bumps. The bell does hang about 1" below the oil pan.
Your correct, the vehicle has no TT or trans/diff in it, so the front cradle is hanging, probably atleast 2.5inches down... so yes, it will go up higher...but, even with the cradle up,..it still doesn't change it hangs super low past the oil pan. I mean, pretty low...maybe 1 inch or more for sure. When I get back to the car this weekend...I will get some more measurements and see what it is I gotta do. Now's the time, before I get everything together and find out I have no ground clearance.

Thanks for info mang.

Low rider sparks going down the road for sure. Jamie buddy with you that does look low. Hope it works out man. Robert
lol, lord knows I got enough people tryng to pull me over telling me the car is on fire already(flames-exhaust)...last thing I need is more sparklers . My luck, a quicktime bell will emitte rainbow colored sparks or some wacky shiz like that.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:52 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Default ttt

^^^^ I had mine like that for a short time. Had it as low as the coilovers would go. Looks great I think like that just bad azz, but not good on bumps or stuff like that. I blow out both my rear inner fender wells. Had to buy new. Hope again all the stuff works out for you jamie.... Robert
Old 04-16-2013, 03:16 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

^^^^ I had mine like that for a short time. Had it as low as the coilovers would go. Looks great I think like that just bad azz, but not good on bumps or stuff like that. I blow out both my rear inner fender wells. Had to buy new. Hope again all the stuff works out for you jamie.... Robert
Long flat roads in florida.... unless I hit 595 which is under construction.... I should be ok. I don't go to many places with the car that require ground clearence. If I am going to a friends...and they have speed bumps...screw them, I ain't going in lol. We'll see... if you think mine is low, my cousins is even lower.... I thought about bringing my tail down lower but we'll see. Thanks Robert

Old 04-17-2013, 06:59 PM
Chris Stewart
Safety Car

I found this pic of an auto SFI. Much lower profile without that giant lip at the bottom.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:51 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Chris Stewart
I found this pic of an auto SFI. Much lower profile without that giant lip at the bottom.

Wow, that's much more realistic looking. More and more, I am thinking I am gonna have to do some machining. Thanks man for the pic.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:09 PM
JoeyG
Safety Car

Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

You can't send it back, or sell to an f-body owner?
Old 04-18-2013, 01:51 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JoeyG
You can't send it back, or sell to an f-body owner?
Have an F body we can use it on...I am gonna give quick time a shout right now.

I bought everything as a kit off a friend... wouldn't be able to send back. It was in a C6... don't see how this thing couldn't work but stranger things have happened I guess lol.

I'll see what QT says.

...still on hold with them but, I am looking at 3D layouts of each item,,..other then the depth of the housing difference...they look identical... C5 vs C6.

http://lakewoodindustries.com/drivet...t56-97-04.html

http://lakewoodindustries.com/drivet...-6-manual.html

Ok...so I talked to a dude there,...said they haven't heard of any fitment issues.. it was ment for an LS2...(I have an LS2).... and would like some pictures of any clearance issues. So, this weekend,..I will get the cradle up tight, and measure clearance's. If it looks low,.... I am gonna cut it,..right after I let them know about it.

If any of you that already have a housing on the car, and it is beat up from rubbing on the ground or whatever,... post up some pics, nows the time. I have the dudes email address to send any photos to.

On another note,...no diff yet but I did receive my diff and trans coolers.... they look sweet. WOO
Old 04-18-2013, 03:38 PM
Chris Stewart
Safety Car

Sure, in the 1st pic I would mark a line across the bottom of the oilpan, and cutoff everything below. You will gain 1" ground clearance in a critical area. Totally not necessary and weight reduction.

Mine is stock height and there's a speedbump in my neighborhood that hits and rings the bell. See the scrapes!

Old 04-18-2013, 08:53 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Chris, you the man. Exactly what I needed.

After seeing that pic, I will be cutting it, pretty much exactly how you said. Thats what I have been thinking since last weekend. Makes sense,..thanks for your time/input.

Get notified of new replies

To QuickTime bellhousing, any known mods needed?

Old 04-18-2013, 10:33 PM
gotjuice?
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

This is mine on my C6Z. I have the ride really low and have not scraped it yet, But I have dragged the headers on the collectors.]
Old 04-19-2013, 08:52 AM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Doesn't look bad at all from that angle but I am guessing mainly from the difference in oil pans. Hmm,..with the headers in that pic, looks doable. Maybe since mine isn't up(cradle), and since I don't have my exhaust in place,....maybe I am just tweaking a little....but with Chris's photo....I feel the exact opposite. Lol....dammit man I feel like some schizo.

Well guys, I appreciate it,...I am gonna find out tomorrow once I get to the car. I gotta drop off a C5R block to a machine shop early AM then I'll get up to the car. Let you know what I get around to on the bell side/and torque tube placement/shifter location on my car asap.

Thanks again gotjuice?
Old 04-19-2013, 01:17 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

Received 176 Likes on 138 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C5 of Year Finalist

I cut the bottom portion off mine based on what Chris and a few other people mentioned about it hanging down low. If you do this, I'm fairly certain that it voids the SFI certification. I believe it would still protect you, but it won't allow for full containment because you would remove the bottom flange and clamping bolts.

I'll see if I have a picture that I can post to show how I cut mine. Also, I remember that I had to enlarge the openings that the clutch hydraulic lines pass through because everything didn't line up the same as the factory bell.

Quick Reply: QuickTime bellhousing, any known mods needed?