C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECS installers/owners - help please

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 08:48 PM
topdown01
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default ECS installers/owners - help please

Hey everyone,

This is for an ECS system install on a 2001 vert: When trying to put the main belt tensioner on I am running into an issue with fitting into the tight area between the A/C tensioner and the steering rack. I am sure it is something I am doing wrong so I thought I would put it out there and see if anyone had any suggestions. I also tried the approach of A/C tensioner with the main tensioner installed will the steer rack was out...I couldn't get the steer rack back in

thanks,

Kev

EDIT:

I figured it out! Just in case anyone else has the same issue, here is how I did it (Steering Rack installed):

NOTE: that the final clearance between the main belt tensioner bracket and steering racket is really close, appears to be 3/16 to 1/4 inch

1. Removed Thermostat housing.
2. Install the A/C tensioner plate with the top pulley completely put together so the only thing you'll need to do is tighten the Allen Key bolt later. For now keep this a few turns out.
3. Get the bottom pulley near the final position, in the chassis area but leave the bottom bolt and spacer out.
4. The bracket will be loose so you can push the bottom in toward the engine. This allows the clearance to get the main belt tensioner assembly into place. Place the bolt (with washer on bolt) through the assembly hole and get a few turns on the bolt.
5. Get under the car and assemble the bottom tension pulley and spacer. This is a bit tricky and you'll need someone with fairly small hands to dig up in there to start threading the bolt. Tighten with 13MM socket (at least mine was 13MM). I had a ratchet with a bendable head and this worked really well since it is not a straight shot down.
6. Back on top, pull the main tensioner bracket out as much as possible and then tighten the top A/C allen key bolt using a 6MM allen key wrench.
7. Tighten the main tensioner bolt using a 15MM socket with 4" extender. Goes through the P/S fluid lines on the steering rack.
8. Back underneath the car, The A/C tensioner bolt (the one that allows you to release tension on the belt) was too close to the bracket to get a socket on it so I used a large screw driver to pry the A/C tensioner bolt down enough to start getting the belt on the most of the larger pulleys. I couldn't get it all the way on using this method but what this did was give enough tension on the belt so the tensioner bolt stayed away from the bracket. This was enough to get a socket on it and really turn it hard enough to get the belt completely on the pulley and lined up on the tensioner.
9. Reinstall the thermostat housing.
9.5...drink a damn beer because that was a little bit of hell :P
10. Continue the install

This was my experience, yours may be different...like I said, I probably did something wrong in the first place but at least I was able to figure out something that worked for me

Kev

Last edited by topdown01; 04-30-2013 at 11:05 PM. Reason: figured it out
Old 05-01-2013, 09:22 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,085 Likes on 656 Posts

Glad you have it figured out Kevin, and I hope you enjoyed your beer!
Old 05-01-2013, 08:28 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
Glad you have it figured out Kevin, and I hope you enjoyed your beer!
I didnt get no BEER with the orders I got from you. To the OP great job ON THE CAR, be safe until you get use to the new power... Robert

Last edited by robert miller; 05-04-2013 at 06:56 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To ECS installers/owners - help please

Quick Reply: ECS installers/owners - help please