C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TTIX 370 power limits

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 11:00 AM
long
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TTIX 370 power limits

Guys I have done some searching and haven't really found an answer. I know this is a general question with plenty of variables but just I am just looking for a few opinions. I want to know at what power level are you having trouble with head gasket leaks. I know the tune has a major role in this but Steve Williams will be retuning the car so I know the tune will not be an issue. I have a 6.0 iron block with a stock crank, callies rods, wiseco pistons 9:1, clevite bearings, all arp hardware, 317 heads with stock vavles but hand ported by a reputable local race shop, full valve train kit with rocker arms, alky control dual nozzle running 100% M1 methanol on 93 octane. Any experiences would be appreciated. This is a street driven weekend racer. I was thinking 800whp on a dynojet with good tune and good fuel would be reasonable for longevity.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:22 PM
Y2KRoadster
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Get the LS9 7-layer head gaskets along with ARP head studs and you will be fine. People have gone well over 20 PSI with them.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:45 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

Received 176 Likes on 138 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C5 of Year Finalist

You didn't mention your fuel system and injector size, but I think with everything else listed you more than likely have that issue covered also. Are you running the 57mm turbos or the 62's?

On a 9:1 to engine with 370ci, meth and 93 octane, you shouldn't have much of a problem reaching 800 rw on a dynojet with the TTiX kit. Also, head gasket issues at that level shouldn't be a problem.

Make sure your tuner is conservative with the timing and air fuel ratio. Don't go chasing horsepower with additional timing. Use the boost controller to add horsepower. I would much rather see someone add 1 psi of manifold pressure instead of 1 degree of timing once everything is optimized.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:25 PM
long
Instructor

Originally Posted by Turbo-Geist
You didn't mention your fuel system and injector size, but I think with everything else listed you more than likely have that issue covered also. Are you running the 57mm turbos or the 62's?

On a 9:1 to engine with 370ci, meth and 93 octane, you shouldn't have much of a problem reaching 800 rw on a dynojet with the TTiX kit. Also, head gasket issues at that level shouldn't be a problem.

Make sure your tuner is conservative with the timing and air fuel ratio. Don't go chasing horsepower with additional timing. Use the boost controller to add horsepower. I would much rather see someone add 1 psi of manifold pressure instead of 1 degree of timing once everything is optimized.
Turbo Geist congrats on running 9's. As for the fuel system my car is a late '03 Z06 so it has the C6 style fuel system. I am running the factory pump along with a walbro 255 on a hobbs switch with -8 supply to fast rails with a boost referenced regulator -6 return with 83 lb siemens injectors. By the way I am running a vacuum pump set to pull 7 inHg under full boost.

When I took the car to get tuned I didn't realize the boost controller I had was broken. On the first pull it ran 20 psi and made 910 on the dyno jet. The next pull a coupler in the torque tube ate itself so tuning stopped. Since then I rebuilt the torque tube and replaced the couplers and drive shaft. I have also replaced the boost controller. I know making big numbers on the dyno means nothing at the track. A single gear pull is not like a 1/4 mile run and can push water if not tuned properly. I guess my real question should be with everything I have and having a reputable tuner how much power can I "safely" run.

The turbos are 57 I guess. They have a stage V turbine housing and I think when I measured the compressor wheel it was 59 mm but I could be wrong. Whatever the case they are not 62s.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:27 PM
long
Instructor

Originally Posted by Y2KRoadster
Get the LS9 7-layer head gaskets along with ARP head studs and you will be fine. People have gone well over 20 PSI with them.
I have the arp studs but I am running a stock lq9 gasket. I guess I will pick up some LS9s. Do you happen to know the part number.
Thanks
Old 06-06-2013, 02:52 PM
user_name
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think everything including the head gaskets will be fine for 800rwhp. I can't see a 255 with no BAP making that power though. With a BAP it would be at it's limits. 15psi should double the NA power of your low comp 370ci. Say 400rwhp. I'd aim for that and not give it any timing that the dyno doesn't jump for. Say you are at 13*, 15psi, and you make 800. If at 15* it only make 820 it's not worth it on pump gas. If it shoots up to 840, then you keep it there or leave some safety on the table.

I bet you could make the 800 without meth if you really wanted and had some big exhaust on there.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:05 PM
long
Instructor

Originally Posted by user_name
I think everything including the head gaskets will be fine for 800rwhp. I can't see a 255 with no BAP making that power though. With a BAP it would be at it's limits. 15psi should double the NA power of your low comp 370ci. Say 400rwhp. I'd aim for that and not give it any timing that the dyno doesn't jump for. Say you are at 13*, 15psi, and you make 800. If at 15* it only make 820 it's not worth it on pump gas. If it shoots up to 840, then you keep it there or leave some safety on the table.

I bet you could make the 800 without meth if you really wanted and had some big exhaust on there.
It has a BAP on the walbro I just forgot to mention it. I also have a capers hotwire kit on the factory fuel pump. Right now it is running 15* under boost. The exhuast is 2 1/2 all the way back with no cats with borla quads.

Last edited by long; 06-06-2013 at 03:06 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-08-2013, 11:36 AM
0Rob@ChampionMotors
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by long
Turbo Geist congrats on running 9's. As for the fuel system my car is a late '03 Z06 so it has the C6 style fuel system. I am running the factory pump along with a walbro 255 on a hobbs switch with -8 supply to fast rails with a boost referenced regulator -6 return with 83 lb siemens injectors. By the way I am running a vacuum pump set to pull 7 inHg under full boost.

When I took the car to get tuned I didn't realize the boost controller I had was broken. On the first pull it ran 20 psi and made 910 on the dyno jet. The next pull a coupler in the torque tube ate itself so tuning stopped. Since then I rebuilt the torque tube and replaced the couplers and drive shaft. I have also replaced the boost controller. I know making big numbers on the dyno means nothing at the track. A single gear pull is not like a 1/4 mile run and can push water if not tuned properly. I guess my real question should be with everything I have and having a reputable tuner how much power can I "safely" run.

The turbos are 57 I guess. They have a stage V turbine housing and I think when I measured the compressor wheel it was 59 mm but I could be wrong. Whatever the case they are not 62s.
TTIX kits came with 57/62 59/65 62/62 62/65
you shouldn't have a problem making 800+ rwhp with smallest turbos.

Get notified of new replies

To TTIX 370 power limits

Quick Reply: TTIX 370 power limits