C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TTiX inlet mods

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 03:54 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by user_name
**** doing anything with those inlets on a regular basis. I'd rather take a kick to the nuts each time. Too hard to get in there. MOAR boost or add nitrous are the ways I'd go if I needed more.
I'd like to be the first to offer my nut-kicking services, sir.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:25 AM
JDS99
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Stewart
Yeah I gotta try em, probably go with a maxx and a filter set. It's gotta improve airflow over these long tubes, especially when cranked up. It's not that bad pulling the inlets. If these work well, my inlet tubes will never be used again.
What is the drive to try something like this when already having inlets? Performance based, or ease of service? Just curious..

I see a drastic decrease in available flow area. So, putting the same volumetric flow across the smaller and inconsistent fiber area equates to a massive increase in velocity with respect to filter area. High velocity, irregular surface, high Reynolds number = high turbulence. That's why traditional filters, like what's on your car right now, create fins folding over a very large filter media. This way the velocity per unit filter area is slow enough keep a Reynolds number low and away from turbulence. IMO, something like these should only be used if there is literally no other way to put a proper filter on the car and so it's better then no protection.

If you do end up trying them, I would be interested to see the back to back differences. Clean filters, no changes to boost control to make up for restriction, etc. But my guess is a loss of power.

Last edited by JDS99; 01-02-2015 at 01:30 AM.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:16 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by JDS99
What is the drive to try something like this when already having inlets? Performance based, or ease of service? Just curious..

I see a drastic decrease in available flow area. So, putting the same volumetric flow across the smaller and inconsistent fiber area equates to a massive increase in velocity with respect to filter area. High velocity, irregular surface, high Reynolds number = high turbulence. That's why traditional filters, like what's on your car right now, create fins folding over a very large filter media. This way the velocity per unit filter area is slow enough keep a Reynolds number low and away from turbulence. IMO, something like these should only be used if there is literally no other way to put a proper filter on the car and so it's better then no protection.

If you do end up trying them, I would be interested to see the back to back differences. Clean filters, no changes to boost control to make up for restriction, etc. But my guess is a loss of power.

better filters up front is the most feasible I switched over to a slightly bigger filter with the flow through the top side of the cone and it seemed to help

putting the inlet pipe back on the pass side turbo with everything in the car is a treat I don't enjoy

I don't think you'll see much improvement, hotter air, and turbulence and the potential to suck more dirt in, not worth it

but if you can figure out a way to improve the inlet plumbing, I'm all in!!

some custom ovaling and alum tube fabrication might do the trick

I have hood inlets on the stinger hood and really wanted to do a ram air setup but it didn't look feasible and the under hood heat is a challenge so the tiger shark nose with the filters up front has worked the best so far for me

I agree there is some HP there if the flow through the inlets can be bumped the turbo will get a bigger gulp of air which should help quite a bit! I'm betting there is 20-30 hp or more to be had by reducing the restriction. with the TTix HP is easy to come by with other mods or more boost so I'm not so sure in this case the juice is worth the squeeze.

are you trying to get way over 1k hp and the inlets are limiting at that point??

Last edited by Rkreigh; 01-02-2015 at 06:18 AM.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:33 PM
jimbos'ss
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

For me it's definitely ease of use, and to save $350 on a new AC compressor.
I'm curious with all the bends in my intakes how close to turbulent flow mine is. Also increased velocity has an effect on compressor surge and I'm not looking to outrun the compressors ability to compress incoming air.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:18 PM
flash of red
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbos'ss
I contacted these guys and this one has an actual filter element, not just a screen. It'll be available next month. As Jon pointed out to me it has a smaller cross section of area than a filter would, but I was thinking using a velocity stack with one.
I made a filter with very similar material as this picture when we were dyno tuning WOT on my 6266 DKT turbos. The material killed power much more than I would have guessed. Trying to pull that much air thru such a small surface area gets dramatically harder to do with the filter material present. I ended up having to settle for the screens very similar to these with a thin layer a panty hose material over the screens to stop the smaller particles the screens wont stop. This gave me some filtering and allowed me to also make power.
These screens look well made, and I may order a set. Be sure to check them to assure the screens are very stable and wont possible pull loose and get sucked into the turbos.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:38 PM
Chris Stewart
Safety Car

Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts

The reason I want to try is for all out power. If my race setup makes 1000rwhp with these long inlets, I wonder what it will make without them. As opposed to just running open inlet, the maxx would offer some protection from ingesting small animals. Then slap the filters on for cruising around town.
Old 01-09-2015, 04:25 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by flash of red
I made a filter with very similar material as this picture when we were dyno tuning WOT on my 6266 DKT turbos. The material killed power much more than I would have guessed. Trying to pull that much air thru such a small surface area gets dramatically harder to do with the filter material present. I ended up having to settle for the screens very similar to these with a thin layer a panty hose material over the screens to stop the smaller particles the screens wont stop. This gave me some filtering and allowed me to also make power.
These screens look well made, and I may order a set. Be sure to check them to assure the screens are very stable and wont possible pull loose and get sucked into the turbos.
I saw a quote that was interesting about intake flow on the blowers

"for every inch of vacuum pulled at the intake it costs 2 psi of boost"

you are spot on, freeing up the intake will help a bunch

the ttix plumbing follows a bit of a tortured path to get to the pass side turbo for sure
Old 01-09-2015, 08:26 AM
slow ride
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It's not really the same on the turbo since it's drive is not fixed. I suppose if it was closer to being maxed out it might act that way, but if not the gate will just stay closed a bit more to get to the set pressure. At some point, as others have found though, the inlet can put a cap on the performance.

Last edited by slow ride; 01-09-2015 at 08:52 AM.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:28 AM
flash of red
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jimbos'ss
I contacted these guys and this one has an actual filter element, not just a screen. It'll be available next month. As Jon pointed out to me it has a smaller cross section of area than a filter would, but I was thinking using a velocity stack with one.
Did anyone ever get the street version of these and try them? The ones with the filter material.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:03 PM
Chris Stewart
Safety Car

Planning to order up next weekend.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:09 PM
flash of red
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Chris Stewart
Planning to order up next weekend.
I got a set. Too much rainy winter weather to bother to put them on and try them. Quality seems really good and certainly better than my home made set.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:04 PM
Chris Stewart
Safety Car

I finally got mine, should be testing them in a week or so. Took 20lbs off the front end!

So easy to install, I hope to never put the old inlet pipes on again...

Old 03-12-2015, 11:07 PM
jimbos'ss
Burning Brakes

I ran into other build expenses so I never ended up getting a set. Looking forward to your results Chris.
Old 03-13-2015, 05:23 AM
StealthFRC
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

looking forward to results, i would be thrilled to never have to put those pipes on again
Old 03-13-2015, 11:40 AM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

In for results.
Old 03-13-2015, 05:05 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

Received 176 Likes on 138 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Did you purchase two different versions? I see one with what looks like a filter and the other looks like only a screen.

I think we've visited these questions before, but will the reduced filter surface area cause a restriction and/or will warmer air going into the turbo diminish any gains?

It seems like the best test would be back to back same day comparison on the dyno or at the track.

I wonder if the temperature difference would show up in a log of the IAT sensor.

All in all, I'm glad to see someone testing them out and I look forward to the results.
Old 03-13-2015, 05:44 PM
Chris Stewart
Safety Car

Yes I got 2 versions, the only ones available in 2.75 OD for my Turbonetics. The filter style is just for street. It turns out the screened style was pretty flimsy so I wrote the company. Corey from Turbo Guard looked at some pics and says they really need 1" lip to fit right, and these Turbonetics have about 17mm. Notice how they bubble out a bit. So he's taking back this screened set and making a custom set with the big mesh, the MAXX style. That style is very strong and should flow better too. I told him I have some buddies that might be interested if he wants to market them in 2.75" size "MAXX".

I don't see how cold air intake helps anything with these turbos. Since I pulled the TTiX inlets already, the only comparison I can do is maybe dyno with the Turbo Guards and compare to my old dynos on file.

These are the ones I'm sending back. The new MAXX ones will have the same mesh used on the filter style.

Get notified of new replies

To TTiX inlet mods

Old 03-26-2015, 07:59 PM
Chris Stewart
Safety Car

First drive with Turboguard filters didn't go too well. After just a few miles and a couple short pulls on the street, the car just felt slow. I got home and pulled the filters and found both damaged. One was fully buckled in, and the other partially buckled with the filter disintegrated. Here are some pics.

With the filters off the car picked up 7psi. I read to expect a few psi less boost, but that seems like alot. It was 9psi with filters and 16psi without. I emailed Turboguard and we'll see what happens.

turbo-guard.com/turbo-guard-sv/
"On a 14psi application, we lost about 3psi under quarter mile pulls."

Old 03-26-2015, 11:06 PM
jimbos'ss
Burning Brakes

Definitely not the results I was hoping for.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:16 PM
Chris Stewart
Safety Car

Yep, same here. The good news is they apologized and offered a refund on the filters. They also made me a set of the MAXX style with no filter media that i'll try soon.

Quick Reply: TTiX inlet mods