C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TTiX inlet mods

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 03:07 PM
Chris Stewart
Safety Car

Received 116 Likes on 76 Posts

Default TTiX inlet mods

Just looking at other setups, such as the supercharged inlets. People like to have a short 4" inlet with minimal bends for best airflow. My TTiX has no problem making power, with up to 1000rwhp on "small" turbos. I'm wondering what kind of gains could be had with a less restrictive inlets. Check out these bad boys! There's 3-4 feet of 3" inlet ducting, with 3-4 90 degree bends.

This is a really good street setup, with filters protected under the nose of the car. How about a competition setup? Thinking of different ways to do the inlets, such as no inlet, screen inlet, or mushroom filter. Space constraints limit the options.

What do you think? Has anyone done something else beside the full inlets from the TTi kit? Discuss.

Old 06-09-2013, 04:18 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

Received 176 Likes on 138 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Good, pictures Chris. I think a screen over the inlet would be the best solution for competition. The only possible concern would be the temperature of the air in the space next to the engine. It may not matter much if you are at the track and letting it cool down between rounds.

4 years ago when I was getting ready to install the kit, I inquired about doing something like this for simplicity and few people said no, don't do it. Depending on what you find out, I may consider it again.

I know Inspector12 ran without filters for a little while on his APS/DKT setup. I'll see if he can weigh in.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:17 PM
inspector12
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 76 Posts

I started with the TTIX inlets (two left sides) cut the reduced parts off and added about 12" of 3" to get to my turbos. The driverside I had to reverse everything for the left side, but they came out very symmetrical. 3" all the way. With two of the biggest filters I could fit in there! Works fine for me. George at TTIX is a nice guy, but he won't sell those inlets to everyone just to give you a heads up. And they weren't cheap by any means especially considering I had to modify one slightly and the other Was almost complete fabrication. But I'm sure some fabricators can build them cheaper.

Last edited by inspector12; 06-09-2013 at 05:21 PM.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:12 PM
Milan
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo-Geist
Good, pictures Chris. I think a screen over the inlet would be the best solution for competition. The only possible concern would be the temperature of the air in the space next to the engine. It may not matter much if you are at the track and letting it cool down between rounds.

4 years ago when I was getting ready to install the kit, I inquired about doing something like this for simplicity and few people said no, don't do it. Depending on what you find out, I may consider it again.

I know Inspector12 ran without filters for a little while on his APS/DKT setup. I'll see if he can weigh in.
Back in my turbo Honda days we did a lot of testing and a screen basically always lost power over a filter. Once you get a screen big enough so that it doesn't lose power, it's actually pointless because the holes are now big enough to let stuff you don't want in.

If you are considering doing screens, go grab a house fan and hold the screen material up to it, I think you would be surprised how much it cuts down airflow.

Open is the best way to go for power, unfortunately it's also riskiest.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:18 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Chris, I talked to inspector12 and he said he didn't see much difference between running with the screens and his current piping arrangement with filters. He did mention that he is getting a cooler air charge with the inlet piping drawing fresh air from the front of the car.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:22 PM
inspector12
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 76 Posts

Yeah Chris I know what you say is true, but I didn't see the difference, probably due to the fact that I wasn't really pushing the turbos and the screen I ran was a lot larger than what I see most using.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:47 AM
Chris Stewart
Safety Car

Due to space, even velocity stacks would have to be modified to fit. The 45 degree elbows we attach to the turbo inlets are already a tight squeeze. Well I guess the ultimate test for restriction is basically running them open.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:16 AM
0Rob@ChampionMotors
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Stewart
Due to space, even velocity stacks would have to be modified to fit. The 45 degree elbows we attach to the turbo inlets are already a tight squeeze. Well I guess the ultimate test for restriction is basically running them open.
I run the K&N X-Stream which has a filter at the top good for an extra 10% more airflow, also the new ttix kits come with filter socks don't use them.
Rob.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:36 PM
user_name
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

**** doing anything with those inlets on a regular basis. I'd rather take a kick to the nuts each time. Too hard to get in there. MOAR boost or add nitrous are the ways I'd go if I needed more.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:21 PM
Chris Stewart
Safety Car

Originally Posted by user_name
**** doing anything with those inlets on a regular basis. I'd rather take a kick to the nuts each time. Too hard to get in there. MOAR boost or add nitrous are the ways I'd go if I needed more.
That is painfully true. I'm curious to try a dyno test sometime.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:24 PM
Chris Stewart
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Rob@ChampionMotors
I run the K&N X-Stream which has a filter at the top good for an extra 10% more airflow, also the new ttix kits come with filter socks don't use them.
Rob.
Good to know. Mine have been there 7 years, getting kinda old and cruddy.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:21 PM
Vince99FRC
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nitrous is the best option. Cools everything and more TQ!!! Who needs a 427ci when nitrous is so much cheaper.....

Originally Posted by user_name
Old 06-13-2013, 04:48 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Rob@ChampionMotors
Rob.
Do you have a part number on the K&N X-Stream filters?
Old 06-13-2013, 07:03 PM
RedZMonte
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tipically open turbos will spool faster and see slightly more peak boost. My single turbo Z34 with a screen spooled noticably faster and saw 2psi higher without the screen (open inlet). NOW having said that if your filters are large enough you will not have much if any of a restriction vs small filters, its all about how much air the turbo is drawing in.. Allways Avoid 90* angles where you can but its not that big of a issue if you are running 3" intake tubes..

How hard would it be to feed from the fender and put large ovel filter in the fender well behind the front tires.. i would think that would be a shorter pipe and still will im sure have a 90* bend or 2 but that is still 1-2 bends less and i would think 1/2 the piping.

Last edited by RedZMonte; 06-13-2013 at 07:11 PM.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:09 PM
Chris Stewart
Safety Car

Old thread, but renewed interest after finding this turbo-guard product. I might get a set of each to mess with. Thee look so much simpler.

Old 12-30-2014, 04:17 PM
jimbos'ss
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

Fitting a filter on the end of the turbo like that would free up so much space! I fought for days building my turbo inlets. Arguably the hardest part of my build.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:18 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

It's a moot point because, as user name said, it's such a pain in the dick to get at the inlet piping, or charge piping, or down piping.

Get notified of new replies

To TTiX inlet mods

Old 12-30-2014, 11:14 PM
trayack
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Old thread, but renewed interest after finding this turbo-guard product. I might get a set of each to mess with. Thee look so much simpler.

My car has the upgraded Lingenfelter turbos so they are just a bit lower than the TTix setup. Regardless, with either setup I'd would NEVER use those screens or filters on them. The amount of road debris, sand ect they would suck up would be insane.

- Travis
Old 12-31-2014, 12:48 AM
jimbos'ss
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

I contacted these guys and this one has an actual filter element, not just a screen. It'll be available next month. As Jon pointed out to me it has a smaller cross section of area than a filter would, but I was thinking using a velocity stack with one.
Old 12-31-2014, 02:50 PM
Chris Stewart
Safety Car

Yeah I gotta try em, probably go with a maxx and a filter set. It's gotta improve airflow over these long tubes, especially when cranked up. It's not that bad pulling the inlets. If these work well, my inlet tubes will never be used again.

Quick Reply: TTiX inlet mods