Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous
C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth Sponsored by
A&A Superchargers

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 08-13-2013, 11:51 AM   #1
kromberg
CF Senior Member

Default MSD 2-Step Install - Need help with wiring

I picked up a new unit and I need some help wiring it up. I would like to tie it into the brake system. So when the brake pedal is pressed, the 2-step is enabled/activated. Would I use the Blue/Ground wire or the Blue&White/12v wire? Also what/where is the brake wire located that I would tie either one of the 2-step wires into?
kromberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:33 PM   #2
kromberg
CF Senior Member

Looks like I would need to use the Blue&White 12v wire and tie into the brake switch right above the pedal. Does that sound correct?
Old 08-13-2013, 02:40 PM   #3
JoeyG
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kromberg View Post
Looks like I would need to use the Blue&White 12v wire and tie into the brake switch right above the pedal. Does that sound correct?
You could do it that way, but remember that anytime the brake pedal would be pressed the 2-step is active. Install a small toggle or rocker switch in between to prevent any unnecessary activation.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:00 PM   #4
kromberg
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyG View Post
You could do it that way, but remember that anytime the brake pedal would be pressed the 2-step is active. Install a small toggle or rocker switch in between to prevent any unnecessary activation.
That is a good point and I will do that. Since the car is now basically a dedicated drag car it is mostly not a big deal, but still worth doing.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:19 PM   #5
daws222000
CF Senior Member

That's what I did I ran it to a toggle then to the brake wire under the dash. I can't remember if it is a neg or a pos trigger wire off the brake. I just used a wire tester to figure it out. I can look tomorrow if you haven't figured it out by then.
daws222000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:48 PM   #6
DRIVER456
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '07

Location: NY- 2013 Corvette Challenge Champion-2013 Index Combo Champion

Yes it is a good idea to run a on/off switch if your going to hook it up to the brake switch. And have it where you can reach it.What was happening to me at the end of a run (1/4 mile) and I would get on the brakes the car would backfire and scare the living crap out of me!
DRIVER456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:56 PM   #7
Chris Stewart
CF Senior Member

I did the same trick, and like it better than my transbrake. I use a handheld pushbutton and the brake pedal, so both are required. At the brake I only found +12v. My Harlan 2step requires a ground to trigger, so I used a relay to flip the signal. I chip it right before my car pushes thru the brakes, for a perfect launch.
Chris Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:16 PM   #8
AZCE
CF Senior Member

I tried the MSD unit on my old car and didn't like it compared to the Synergy Motorsports unit. The synergy unit you didn't have to tune it between the shifts because it would reset after each time used.
AZCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:22 AM   #9
kromberg
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCE View Post
The synergy unit you didn't have to tune it between the shifts because it would reset after each time used.
What exactly do you mean by that.?
Old 08-14-2013, 06:09 PM   #10
AZCE
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kromberg View Post
What exactly do you mean by that.?
With the MSD unit it will reactivate every time you hit the rpm it's set too. The Synergy unit activates off a trigger and once you let go of the trigger it won't reactivate till you rearm it again. So basically what I'm trying to say is that with the MSD unit your 2 step is going to kick in each time you hit the set rpm so you will have to tune the car around it.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:57 PM   #11
Chris Stewart
CF Senior Member

Quote:
With the MSD unit it will reactivate every time you hit the rpm it's set too. The Synergy unit activates off a trigger and once you let go of the trigger it won't reactivate till you rearm it again. So basically what I'm trying to say is that with the MSD unit your 2 step is going to kick in each time you hit the set rpm so you will have to tune the car around it.
Sounds like it's not wired right? They all need a trigger.
Chris Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:52 PM   #12
daws222000
CF Senior Member

I think because you wired it to constant power or off your constant power off your brake. That's why you put a toggle switch in line with your brake. So it would work as such msd triggers when your brakes are applied once let go 2 step is off, the problem is when you go to slow down it is activated again at the set rpm which is not good. So with the switch in line you just click it off while normal driving or before you brake again at the end of the run.
daws222000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:34 AM   #13
kromberg
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daws222000 View Post
I think because you wired it to constant power or off your constant power off your brake. That's why you put a toggle switch in line with your brake. So it would work as such msd triggers when your brakes are applied once let go 2 step is off, the problem is when you go to slow down it is activated again at the set rpm which is not good. So with the switch in line you just click it off while normal driving or before you brake again at the end of the run.
That makes complete sense.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:19 PM   #14
AZCE
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Stewart View Post
Sounds like it's not wired right? They all need a trigger.
I know they all need a trigger but from what I've read about the MSD unit is that it reactivates at the set rpm.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:21 PM   #15
AZCE
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daws222000 View Post
With the Synergy unit even when you drive slow it doesn't reactivate. So does the MSD unit reactive when the car ***** and hits the set rpm again?
Old 08-15-2013, 09:24 PM   #16
JoeyG
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Quote:
I know they all need a trigger but from what I've read about the MSD unit is that it reactivates at the set rpm.

I use the MSD in my turbo truck. You have to drop below the setpoint in order to reuse the 2-step, once the original signal is dropped.If I'm on the line holding the 2-step/t-brake and then let off the switch the 2-step can't be activated again until I drop below my 3800rpm activation setting.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:15 PM   #17
joshtownsend
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Stewart View Post
I did the same trick, and like it better than my transbrake. I use a handheld pushbutton and the brake pedal, so both are required. At the brake I only found +12v. My Harlan 2step requires a ground to trigger, so I used a relay to flip the signal. I chip it right before my car pushes thru the brakes, for a perfect launch.
freakin racecar....
joshtownsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:53 PM   #18
AZCE
CF Senior Member

One of the nice things about the Synergy unit is that you can have them build it with longer wiring so you can mount the piece and dial it in, in the car. I personally don't like how the MSD unit plugs into the coil packs and looks like a cluster. The Synergy 2 step you soldier directly into the pcm wires and hides all the wiring.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:53 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous
Reload this Page MSD 2-Step Install - Need help with wiring