C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Twin Disc Clutch Chatter

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 08:54 AM
randyfl
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

I cannot live with the vibration. Although not excessive, I can feel it. I agree, that putting some miles on it is a good idea. However, some guys are putting thousands of miles on their clutch before seeing any improvement. Heck, I only drive around 5,000 miles a year. So, this clutch will be 1 year old before I see the clutch I expected. I HATE driving the car now and can't imagine dealing with this a year.

Lot's to consider.

Thanks
Old 09-15-2013, 09:18 AM
leo12
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by randyfl
I cannot live with the vibration. Although not excessive, I can feel it. I agree, that putting some miles on it is a good idea. However, some guys are putting thousands of miles on their clutch before seeing any improvement. Heck, I only drive around 5,000 miles a year. So, this clutch will be 1 year old before I see the clutch I expected. I HATE driving the car now and can't imagine dealing with this a year.

Lot's to consider.

Thanks
I hate to say it my friend but once they chetter they most always will,ive gone through a few deferent ones,the only two that i would trust To hold tons of street power with apsolutely no chatter what so ever, is the Mantic and the Centerforce DYAD
Old 09-15-2013, 10:20 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 314 Likes on 207 Posts

I want to mention the definition of breaking in a clutch because of how many times I've had this discussion and they didn't really know.

Break-in time or mileage for a clutch is based on engagement and disengagement as opposed to the number of revolutions it's been through. You could drive 5000 miles and not break in a clutch and you could drive 50.
5000 on a long trip and you could still not have it broken in.
50 in horrible stop and go traffic and it would probably be fully bedded.

Offering products from A&A Superchargers, East Coast Superchargers, Mechman Alternators, Mantic clutches, RPS clutches, Kooks Headers, Lakewood, LG, Brian Tooley Racing, Comp Cams, FAST, ARP, UPP Turbo systems, Wiseco, Callies, K1, MAST Motorsports, Haltech and many more. PM me for details.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:23 AM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT56
I want to mention the definition of breaking in a clutch because of how many times I've had this discussion and they didn't really know.

Break-in time or mileage for a clutch is based on engagement and disengagement as opposed to the number of revolutions it's been through. You could drive 5000 miles and not break in a clutch and you could drive 50.
5000 on a long trip and you could still not have it broken in.
50 in horrible stop and go traffic and it would probably be fully bedded.

Very true, This whole thing about a 500 mile break in is just nonsense really and very misleading to many people.

Wouldnt say Ive ever paid any attention to it anyway. I just drive it or race it.
Have raced the next day after fitting a clutch and never had issues lol
Old 09-15-2013, 11:26 AM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Clutch break in procedures. Get in start car, bring to operating temp. Do a relatively hard launch. Drive around town for 20 minutes. Do another relatively hard launch. Drive around for 20 more minutes. Do another relatively hard launch. Drive around for 20 more minutes. Do a hard launch. Drive around for 20 minutes. Clutch broke in...drive it like ya stole it!!
Old 09-15-2013, 03:15 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 314 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by MVP'S ZO6
Clutch break in procedures. Get in start car, bring to operating temp. Do a relatively hard launch. Drive around town for 20 minutes. Do another relatively hard launch. Drive around for 20 more minutes. Do another relatively hard launch. Drive around for 20 more minutes. Do a hard launch. Drive around for 20 minutes. Clutch broke in...drive it like ya stole it!!
I hope you're not being serious here.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:50 PM
LedfootLarry
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by MVP'S ZO6
Maybe that`s the problem, was it broke in like this or properly ?
Old 09-15-2013, 10:30 PM
randyfl
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

It has been babied, lots of stop and go, no hard launches, some WOT pulls in 3rd and 4th. No slipping while high revving. Perfect for 5 miles then the chatter started. I got it out tonight and it looks great. No glazing, no oil contamination, nothing. Monster said take it easy for the first 500 and I have taken it easy so far. I am having the balance checked tomorrow against my stock assembly. If I can get rid of the vibration I feel a little better about maybe working through the chatter. My concern is it may never stop chattering, and that is not going to work.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:33 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT56
I hope you're not being serious here.
I'm as serious as a wood grain dash.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:12 AM
leo12
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

It has been babied, lots of stop and go, no hard launches, some WOT pulls in 3rd and 4th. No slipping while high revving. Perfect for 5 miles then the chatter started. I got it out tonight and it looks great. No glazing, no oil contamination, nothing. Monster said take it easy for the first 500 and I have taken it easy so far. I am having the balance checked tomorrow against my stock assembly. If I can get rid of the vibration I feel a little better about maybe working through the chatter. My concern is it may never stop chattering, and that is not going to work.
Man you know the kind of work you have to do to remove a clutch from a vette, after all that youre telling me you are going to put the same one back in cause Monster said take it easy for a few hundred miles? all i can say to you is good luck i hope its going to work, in most case they never stop chattering, believe me ive been there done that.
Put that sucker up for sale on flea bay and get your self a clutch that has proven it self, mantic, DYAD, A couple to start with
Old 10-13-2014, 02:37 PM
LedfootLarry
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

randyfi : what was the outcome of your clutch problem ?
My monster twin has been out once already, sent back,
re-installed, now ready too come out again.
slipping , and engages at very end.
not happy, I`m done with monster.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:12 PM
randyfl
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I talked with Steve at Monster and he agreed to replace it. I just finished (2 weeks ago) the installation of a LT1-S. Although it is not broken in yet, I am very happy with it so far. Stock like engagement, no chatter, no vibration. I must say, Steve really stepped up and did the right thing for me. If you have not, I would call him direct and express your concern.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:36 PM
0SNL/MonsterClutchCo
Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LedfootLarry
Shoot me an email (jacob@monsterclutches.com) so we can go over your past experiences, and see what we can do for you to take care of this.

I talked with Steve at Monster and he agreed to replace it. I just finished (2 weeks ago) the installation of a LT1-S. Although it is not broken in yet, I am very happy with it so far. Stock like engagement, no chatter, no vibration. I must say, Steve really stepped up and did the right thing for me. If you have not, I would call him direct and express your concern.
Glad to hear that you are enjoying your LT1-S, keep us posted.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:44 PM
randyfl
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SNL/MonsterClutchCo
Shoot me an email (jacob@monsterclutches.com) so we can go over your past experiences, and see what we can do for you to take care of this.

Glad to hear that you are enjoying your LT1-S, keep us posted.
Yea Steve, I really like it so far, and appreciate you taking care of it.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:47 PM
0SNL/MonsterClutchCo
Former Vendor

Yea Steve, I really like it so far, and appreciate you taking care of it.
Not a problem, I apologize for the issues you had in the beginning and am glad you gave me the opportunity to make it right.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:50 PM
0SNL/MonsterClutchCo
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by LedfootLarry
I saw that you were commenting in another thread that the clutch is slipping when it's hot? Either way, we're here to help you and will do what we can to make you happy.

You can shoot a message directly to me at Steve@monsterclutches.com or you can call me at 817-750-2000. I need your name so I can, at the very least, research your setup and previous issues.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:52 PM
JDS99
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

This is an older thread, and looks like I said something positive about the DYAD.. I retract all of that now First trip and pass to the track, it ate itself on the launch and wouldn't fully disengage after that again. ZERO support from Centerforce.

I have a LT1-R in my car now from Monster, one of their hybrids using the C7 LT1 pressure plate and floater with a custom flywheel and sintered iron discs. It was a grabby B**** the first 50 miles, but then started smoothing out. Actually can't believe it hasn't chattered on me once. Pedal feels stock, obviously since it's a stock pressure plate. Still have yet to get to the track, but good weather is starting to roll in down here, so we'll see how it does. It does fully release for me, and let's me shift quickly which is nice. The DYAD wouldn't

Get notified of new replies

To Twin Disc Clutch Chatter

Old 10-14-2014, 03:32 PM
slow ride
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

That's one nice thing about SAC mech is that fact they adjust for wear and pedal locations stays the same over the life of the clutch.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:16 PM
0SNL/MonsterClutchCo
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by JDS99
This is an older thread, and looks like I said something positive about the DYAD.. I retract all of that now First trip and pass to the track, it ate itself on the launch and wouldn't fully disengage after that again. ZERO support from Centerforce.

I have a LT1-R in my car now from Monster, one of their hybrids using the C7 LT1 pressure plate and floater with a custom flywheel and sintered iron discs. It was a grabby B**** the first 50 miles, but then started smoothing out. Actually can't believe it hasn't chattered on me once. Pedal feels stock, obviously since it's a stock pressure plate. Still have yet to get to the track, but good weather is starting to roll in down here, so we'll see how it does. It does fully release for me, and let's me shift quickly which is nice. The DYAD wouldn't
Glad to hear you're loving it! That clutch has done some very big things, it's gone 8.5's in the quarter, has taken tremendous beatings at numerous standing mile and half mile events, roll racing events, and of course the typical Mexico street racing runs. To date we've got three guys pushing near the 1,300 rwhp mark in that clutch and they're still taking it without issue. It's a fantastic setup that drives very well once broken in.

Originally Posted by slow ride
That's one nice thing about SAC mech is that fact they adjust for wear and pedal locations stays the same over the life of the clutch.
Not to mention the newer C7 SAC setup is far and above improved over the older stuff. It's night and day internally.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:50 PM
slow ride
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Whats the most power/torque you have seen put through the ceramic version of the LT1? I really like how thick the floater is and if the SAC holds up that's a huge plus. I know you guys have a R in the blue turbo camaro so it's really getting a good workout. Might have to bug Mike at the ws6 store about getting me one when the RXT is done.

Quick Reply: Twin Disc Clutch Chatter