C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine build questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 06:35 PM
Dave concrete
Race Director

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Default engine build questions

Questions on a engine build. I have as of now a ECS installed Novi 2000
AR headers, meth etc. all on a stock LS6. As of now @ 6-7 psi 581whp.
I want to build a new motor soon and I'm wondering with these blowers where if any is the sweet spot of psi. I don't really care about crazy hp #'s be happy with anywhere in the 700whp area. My real question do I build a 346, or buy a LS2 make a 402 or a little bigger a LS3 like a 416 and run more power from the motor and less boost. I know all 3 have no problem hitting the power level I'm looking for more or less want a real realiable power plant that doesn't have to max out to hit the numbers. I'm going to run this past ECS as well because most likely they will do the work but would like the opinions of you guys.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:43 PM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Honestly, for what your talking about doing, I would strongly urge you to contact AES regarding one of there 390ci engines. They won't break the bank and they are stout.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:57 PM
Dave concrete
Race Director

Originally Posted by breecher_7
Honestly, for what your talking about doing, I would strongly urge you to contact AES regarding one of there 390ci engines. They won't break the bank and they are stout.
I will, you said that in one of your replys in the past. I guess what worries me if something happens to the motor now I'm stuck between the tuner and builder.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:12 PM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Dave concrete
I will, you said that in one of your replys in the past. I guess what worries me if something happens to the motor now I'm stuck between the tuner and builder.
They did a stout 408 (dragonslayer cranks, billet rods, custom pistons, pinned and girdled mains) for a buddy of mine earlier this year and the customer service and quality of work was second to none and was above and beyond anything I've seen in this industry in the past. They set the bar very high for future transactions, that is for sure. I am not the type that gets impressed easily either.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:33 PM
Blitzkrieg
AKA "The CLOWN"
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by breecher_7
They did a stout 408 (dragonslayer cranks, billet rods, custom pistons, pinned and girdled mains) for a buddy of mine earlier this year and the customer service and quality of work was second to none and was above and beyond anything I've seen in this industry in the past. They set the bar very high for future transactions, that is for sure. I am not the type that gets impressed easily either.
I will be doing an AES 390 IF and WHEN my stock motor goes BOOM without any question. Awesome shop as Breecher pointed out, they build motors 1 at a time, not an assembly line like some other vendors. $4k for a bottom built for 1k hp or more is outstanding!

BTW OP, Im at 15-16lbs on a stock LS1 for 2 years now!
Old 11-26-2013, 08:48 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Questions on a engine build. I have as of now a ECS installed Novi 2000
AR headers, meth etc. all on a stock LS6. As of now @ 6-7 psi 581whp.
I want to build a new motor soon and I'm wondering with these blowers where if any is the sweet spot of psi. I don't really care about crazy hp #'s be happy with anywhere in the 700whp area. My real question do I build a 346, or buy a LS2 make a 402 or a little bigger a LS3 like a 416 and run more power from the motor and less boost. I know all 3 have no problem hitting the power level I'm looking for more or less want a real realiable power plant that doesn't have to max out to hit the numbers. I'm going to run this past ECS as well because most likely they will do the work but would like the opinions of you guys.
If you are not worried about really crazy power look at a stock bore motor are keep it under 400 ci that way the walls in each hole will be good and thick. More metal in those places will make you have less heat problems.

Plus that Novi 2000 will put the power down for you. The only other thing other than the reg stuff get the main caps drilled & pin.. Robert
Old 11-26-2013, 10:42 PM
joshtownsend
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

for 700.. run a stock motor and put the money you would spend up in an account, gain interest and when it goes boom in 5 years, laugh about it, and put another $500 motor in it..
Old 11-27-2013, 03:15 AM
SBCGENII
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by joshtownsend
for 700.. run a stock motor and put the money you would spend up in an account, gain interest and when it goes boom in 5 years, laugh about it, and put another $500 motor in it..
I agree. If you want a build do an iron block with rods and pistons. Aes recommends changing the oil after every 3 passes at the dragstrip for a street motor. Anyone that recommends that i cannot take seriously.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:35 PM
Dave concrete
Race Director

My issue with that if I change out the cam maybe massage the heads spend few grand then the motor blows it would kill me.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:42 PM
Dave concrete
Race Director

Originally Posted by robert miller
If you are not worried about really crazy power look at a stock bore motor are keep it under 400 ci that way the walls in each hole will be good and thick. More metal in those places will make you have less heat problems.

Plus that Novi 2000 will put the power down for you. The only other thing other than the reg stuff get the main caps drilled & pin.. Robert
So your opinion do I keep the LS6 I have or buy a LS2. I thought I should keep my the block and heads and put the money towards better internals.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:53 PM
breecher_7
Safety Car

So your opinion do I keep the LS6 I have or buy a LS2. I thought I should keep my the block and heads and put the money towards better internals.
Keep the block if you are on a budget.

Hone it out to 3.905 and stuff it with forged parts, pinned mains, and main studs.

Get your Tuner, Doug, to spec a cam out for it.

Keep the stock heads, changed the intake valves to ferrea hollow stems and super alloy/inconel exhausts and use a good spring kit. Use stock rockers with the Comp trunion bearing upgrade. Tighten them down with basic ARP head studs and stock head gaskets.

Done... It will make power.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:00 PM
PEETYZ
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Does anyone do 383 strokers with boost anymore? A few years ago there was a 383 LS1 with an F1 around my area that was pretty sweet 800+ wheel.

A 6.0 block with LS3 top end would be pretty nice "budget" build.

I would just get forged rods, pistons, etc and stay stock cubes and stock crank.

There is a certain forged 346 on here that runs 9.1 with a 6 speed and soon to be in the 8's.... Made me a believer

Last edited by PEETYZ; 11-27-2013 at 05:09 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:06 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

A forged stock displacement LS6 will do you just fine.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:07 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by PEETYZ
Does anyone do 383 strokers with boost?

A 6.0 block with LS3 top end would be pretty nice "budget" build.

I would just get forged rods, pistons, etc and stay stock cubes and stock crank.

There is a certain forged 346 on here that runs 9.1 with a 6 speed and soon to be in the 8's.... Made me a believer
My old combo was a 9 : 1 LS6 based 383 stroker with a vortech T trim.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:17 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Keep your block & put money better rods & pistons & rings, stock crank will do fine for the #,s you are looking at. Then a set of good worked heads with good springs.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:33 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,084 Likes on 656 Posts

Your most economical way is to just install rods, pistons and a cam to your present engine. Heads if you want to go crazy, but with or without you will easily make 700 rwhp. Feel free to give us a call anytime Dave if you want to discuss your options in length.
We also do not have any issues working with a purchased engine, we do it all the time.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:37 PM
95vettski
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by MVP'S ZO6
A forged stock displacement LS6 will do you just fine.

If you pull the restrictor plate and retune, bingo 700rwhp!

Get notified of new replies

To engine build questions

Old 11-27-2013, 05:42 PM
joshtownsend
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My issue with that if I change out the cam maybe massage the heads spend few grand then the motor blows it would kill me.
You do know that stock cam stock heads and stock everything everything else with a blower turned up will make 700 right?? Usually the ring glands goes anyways so really not big chance you would mess up heads or cam either. I see way to many people with monster build that end up not driving their car or selling it because it becomes cumbersome with all the issues and the amount of money spend on top of money..

about to pull out a ls2 427 built by HKE/DP that has less then 3500 miles and has way to many issues.. main reason is the bearings are way to tight.. guess what that motor cost for a 3500 mile life span??
Old 11-27-2013, 05:59 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
Your most economical way is to just install rods, pistons and a cam to your present engine. Heads if you want to go crazy, but with or without you will easily make 700 rwhp. Feel free to give us a call anytime Dave if you want to discuss your options in length.
We also do not have any issues working with a purchased engine, we do it all the time.
Dave, you will not go wrong dealing with Doug here at ECS. great SHOP AND GUYS PLUS HE WILL STAND BEHIND WHAT HE SELLS YOU 100%. Plus what he is telling you here above. pistons, rings & rods, good cam, good head job with a set of good springs. Last a good tuner also. You can get all that with ECS. Robert
Old 11-27-2013, 06:03 PM
Dave concrete
Race Director

You do know that stock cam stock heads and stock everything everything else with a blower turned up will make 700 right?? Usually the ring glands goes anyways so really not big chance you would mess up heads or cam either. I see way to many people with monster build that end up not driving their car or selling it because it becomes cumbersome with all the issues and the amount of money spend on top of money..

about to pull out a ls2 427 built by HKE/DP that has less then 3500 miles and has way to many issues.. main reason is the bearings are way to tight.. guess what that motor cost for a 3500 mile life span??
I absoulutly know that. I don't have time to do this work so the car would go to a shop I'm going to spend lets say $3-4k on a cam and other things to maybe lose the motor, or I just do the right motor build and spend a little bit more that is my thinking. I'm actually going to call Doug and discuss options such as a cam, maybe springs or whatever else he suggests to get me close to my goal while keeping the motor toghether in it's stock form. I know plenty of guys have stock bottom ends for years with no problems but I'm sure there is plenty more that had issues.

Quick Reply: engine build questions