C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cast Stainless ZL1 manifolds fitment in C5

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 01:43 PM
JDS99
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Cast Stainless ZL1 manifolds fitment in C5

A buddy of mine is doing a single turbo 5.3 build in a Blazer, and picked up a set of these for about $200 with cats and all. Probably going to be about free after selling the factory GM cats.

Anyway, while i'm waiting on my manifolds and such to get back from coating I thought I would borrow these and throw them on to see what fitment is like for anyone possible looking to utilize them in a custom C5 turbo build down the road.

They are cast stainless with factory heat shields, and 2.5" outlets. They also hug the block ridiculously tight, and "log" grows in size towards the collector.

I think he's going to use them as is, but they could easily be machined and other flanges welded on.

Have them in the back seat of the truck. Will take pictures tonight and post them up.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:53 PM
JoeyG
Safety Car

Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Could be a cool higher flowing cheap option if they fit for sure
Old 12-06-2013, 10:11 PM
jimbos'ss
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

Nice, perfect for a T4 flange swap.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:21 AM
jimbos'ss
Burning Brakes

Pics?
Old 12-07-2013, 12:54 PM
jimbos'ss
Burning Brakes

I just found some pics of them online, won't work for a c5. It would put the flange to far back near the frame.The flange needs to be right in between the last two primaries or there is no room for a DP.
Old 12-07-2013, 02:28 PM
JDS99
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jimbos'ss
I just found some pics of them online, won't work for a c5. It would put the flange to far back near the frame.The flange needs to be right in between the last two primaries or there is no room for a DP.
You say this from experience or from looking at a picture online and deciding the only turbo mounting location is exactly like ttix? I could make a Honda manifold work if I wanted, it just all comes down to how much modification is required and how much someone is willing to do.

I'm in the garage now, taking a few pictures. Obviously the existing 2 bolt flanges need to be cut off because of frame clearance. They kick out to the side anyway for Camaro packaging. They look to be perfect candidates for a low mount, APS like location. Could be used for a project like slow ride has going.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:20 PM
JDS99
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Alright, here are some pictures. The manifolds couldn't bolt down completely due to how the collector flange kicks over to the outside right at the end. Passenger's side was pretty close. These things tuck VERY close to the block.

The aluminum pipe on the passengers side I put in for reference is a 4" pipe.

Maybe slow ride can comment on these with reference to his project, here:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-f...win-turbo.html

It really looks to me that these could have been used for a project like his, and have cast stainless manifolds as a starting point. Cut off where the collector kicks out to the side, and weld on the appropriate stainless bends in a heavy schedule 40 or something.

Again, this was purely a "How would these fit?" approach for anyone's future reference.

Car is still a bit dusty from my manifold build

Attached Images       
Old 12-07-2013, 03:22 PM
JDS99
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

More
Attached Images       
Old 12-07-2013, 03:23 PM
jimbos'ss
Burning Brakes

I'm just basing this off looking at my car and where the last primary is in relation to the block on those manifolds. Would work for a UPP style setup, but it doesn't look like it'll work for a ttix style setup. By all means prove me wrong. I would love to have off the shelf manifolds to modify vs building a schedule 10 SS manifold from scratch.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:23 PM
JDS99
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

more
Attached Images    
Old 12-07-2013, 03:25 PM
JDS99
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm just basing this off looking at my car and where the last primary is in relation to the block on those manifolds. Would work for a UPP style setup, but it doesn't look like it'll work for a ttix style setup. By all means prove me wrong. I would love to have off the shelf manifolds to modify vs building a schedule 10 SS manifold from scratch.
Pictures up

Take a look at the link to slow ride's twin turbo build as well. That location is how these would work.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:34 PM
jimbos'ss
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JDS99
more
Pictures up

Take a look at the link to slow ride's twin turbo build as well. That location is how these would work.

yeah you could get away with a low hang setup like APS, for me that's not an option. I'm dead set against running a scavenge pump for the oil drain.

Thanks for the pics, still gives me a few idea.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:43 PM
JDS99
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

yeah you could get away with a low hang setup like APS, for me that's not an option. I'm dead set against running a scavenge pump for the oil drain.

Thanks for the pics, still gives me a few idea.
No problem, that's all this was intended to be. Some reference pictures.

I didn't want the scavenge either, so mounted mine up with the custom manifolds. The only shelf kit not needing a scavenge still actively offered that i'm aware of is TTIX. UPP's, the APS re-makes starting up, rear-mount, etc all use scavenge pumps.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:31 PM
jimbos'ss
Burning Brakes

No problem, that's all this was intended to be. Some reference pictures.

I didn't want the scavenge either, so mounted mine up with the custom manifolds. The only shelf kit not needing a scavenge still actively offered that i'm aware of is TTIX. UPP's, the APS re-makes starting up, rear-mount, etc all use scavenge pumps.
Which manifolds did you start with? The ones that cracked. Never seen them before, but I liked the general layout on them.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:56 PM
JDS99
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Which manifolds did you start with? The ones that cracked. Never seen them before, but I liked the general layout on them.
Well, for the new ones that I made it was from scratch. The new housings have a different cartridge offset location with reference to the flange, so couldn't use the cracked ones as a template. I've got a picture at the house of me suspending the turbos with wire to weld together the locating jigs. The new ones actually fit better.. With the wastegate tube on top from the old setup, it made the rear plugs almost impossible to get to. I chose to do the tubular instead of logs for better flow and MUCH more compressor housing room (from turning front 2 primaries on each manifold up and back).
Old 12-07-2013, 09:46 PM
JDS99
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Well, for the new ones that I made it was from scratch. The new housings have a different cartridge offset location with reference to the flange, so couldn't use the cracked ones as a template. I've got a picture at the house of me suspending the turbos with wire to weld together the locating jigs. The new ones actually fit better.. With the wastegate tube on top from the old setup, it made the rear plugs almost impossible to get to. I chose to do the tubular instead of logs for better flow and MUCH more compressor housing room (from turning front 2 primaries on each manifold up and back).
Like this:

Attached Images   
Old 12-07-2013, 10:02 PM
jimbos'ss
Burning Brakes

Which diameter schedule 10 did you use for the primaries?, and where did you get your flanges from? I've resigned myself to building a set.

Get notified of new replies

To Cast Stainless ZL1 manifolds fitment in C5

Old 12-07-2013, 10:19 PM
narfdanarf
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1.5" schedule 10 is what we used for my forward facing setup.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:32 PM
jimbos'ss
Burning Brakes

Like this:

No I wasn't asking how you made your jig, I was asking who manufactured your first set of manifold. I've never them before.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:35 PM
jimbos'ss
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by narfdanarf
1.5" schedule 10 is what we used for my forward facing setup.

Nice looking work on the collector. My tig work never looks that pretty

Quick Reply: Cast Stainless ZL1 manifolds fitment in C5