C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Twin Turbo Stock LS1 Engine Failure: Going out with a bang!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 12:58 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

Received 176 Likes on 138 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Pekka_Perkeles
Sorry, english is not my default language. Please also forget the joking about the tune.
I'm serious. I was just having trouble following what you were saying. It was like you were saying two things at once. Please don't take it the wrong way. I'm always open to learning new things and figuring out what went wrong. I don't have all the answers, so post up your thoughts.

I am tired of hearing the myth that these engines are a ticking time bomb at 550 rwhp. If I had unlimited time and funds, I would stick another stock LS1 in the car with good head gaskets and studs and push it even further. These things have their limits, but 550 rwhp isn't the limit.

And you are right, there is more to it than the tune. There are lots of little things that have to constantly be checked everytime you take the car out to race it. Things that have to be done every time, year in and year out. The one time that you neglect something it can cause a drastic failure. See above for pictures. Would it have been a chore to change head gaskets? Yes. However, it's much more of a chore to build and install a new engine.

Last edited by Turbo-Geist; 12-31-2013 at 01:01 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:10 PM
slow ride
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If you look at all the big engines that make the 1100 or so with the 62/65 setup they will all have better heads and a decent size cam, fast, etc. It sounds like they are at the limit for backpressure also since everyone wants to get away from the t3 housings. I feel you could make the same power with the smaller engine, but would need to make it at a higher rpm or run more boost which might put you out of the safe pump gas/meth operating range. At some point good fuel would help you out a lot with a smaller cube engine that is still limited to the 7000 rpm range due to hydraulic valvetrain, camshaft or intake design, etc. To me it seems like most of these larger v8 engines tend to work better with a larger split in turbo wheel size from intake to exhaust due to the smaller t3 housings backing up some and not having a larger housing to run.

Some might say that using a larger compressor wheels only help make cooler boost with less work, but that also means a slower shaft speed on the turbo. The slower the exhaust wheels spins can also add to backpressure increasing pumping loss. It all works together as a system and it would be great if we could measure the turbo speed on these engines to try to get the most out of the housing that you can without over spinning the turbos, etc. It would be sweet to try out a kit like the ttix kit on a engine dyno and work through all the little issues to maximize what you could do with it using larger turbos, downpipes, etc.

I'm dying to see a sold roller cam, sheet metal intake high rpm smaller ls1 in a vette make some big power. Something that makes peak power in the 7000-7500rpm range with a 8000 limit. I know its a lot of farting around, but would give you the rpm range to not fall out of boost on the larger turbo/smaller engine combos on shifts. Lowering the peak torque on these engines would also help the transmission live a little easier life Its really the same thing all the import guys do (DSM, Supras, etc). Keep the torque down and hold on to it up top and make some big peak power over a long powerband. Enough of my rambling hehe

Last edited by slow ride; 12-31-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:43 PM
JDS99
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo-Geist
Can you elaborate more on this? I've heard different theories on it. I'm interested in looking at this only from the standpoint of using the TTiX kit and the T3/T4 hybrid turbos that are available to fit it. I'm also only looking at it from the standpoint of using a 6-speed manual transmission and mostly 93 octane and methanol injection.

It seems there have only been a few people make close to 1k rwhp with the 58/62 turbos and a 346 or 347 engine. They seem to be very happy in the 900 rwhp range. The 62/65s are capable of over 1k rwhp but there may be some issues between shifts with a low compression engines and spool.

With a 402 or 427, the 62/65s (0.82 A/R exhaust housing) seem to be very capable of 1100 rwhp or more. It seems that not to many people have explored the upper limit of this particular combination.

Yes, the fire ring was very deformed at the 9 o'clock position on cylinder #5. There is also evidence that the gasket was compromised at the 6 o'clock position on cylinders #3 and #5. The #3 rod is slightly deformed, so that cylinder may have filled with coolant also.

My goal this year was to run 9s with the stock internals plus a cam. I did that in the first half of the year and then ended up woe rking continuous 12 hour days for most of the summer. I was planning to go for 9.50s before the end of the year until this happened.

The next goal is to run 8s with a TTiX kit and a 6 speed manual transmission. So far, I haven't found any limitations with the X kit. We'll see what happens.

I remember seeing the video of the 9. Nice job hitting your goal for the year

I may not have a ttix system, but I absolutely plan on giving my 402 with 6265's everything it's got. Didn't build it to baby it. Have a handful of little things today, and should be able to give fire to it again. 402 with dragonslayer crank, Callies ultra rods, custom 2618 Mahle turbo pistons, about 8.75:1 CR, hand ported LSA heads, stock LS3 intake manifold, and 3" exh all the way back. I promise I will push it until the turbos are out of lungs. I'll be at the rental on 1/26. 8's with a 6spd sounds like fun. I may have to chase you down on that

If you do stick with the ttix base, 3" exhaust is going to help with spool on the bigger turbos. More pressure differential. Also, don't know how much fab you are willing to get in to but if it were me I would convert to E-covers which allow the Turbonetics billet 64. You might call Reggie at Turbonetics, and see if maybe they can squeeze their new billet 69mm wheel inside the E-cover. 69/65's would be pretty sweet on a ttix. Something tells me you're not a fan of low boost anyway.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:54 PM
user_name
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

People have made 1100-1300 on the 6265's numerous times. That's about what they are good for. No reason to chase that. You haven't seen to many try with smaller cubes bc they are converting to 6 bolt blocks, and it only makes sense to go with bigger cubes. Nice, aftermarket heads become the only options as well.

Mine is a low comp 347, that does NOT have the backpressure issues these guys have dealt with. Never would have had the wastegate issues to this extent if I had the backpressure. Only dyno'd it twice with eboost issues once, and then cold clutch issues next 950-980. No intentions of pushing it much farther than the 24psi it has been seeing though. It won't be on pump gas if I do.

I think Turbo-Geist did well pushing that shortblock. I also think it would be a mistake to go with another one at that level. Something will let go eventually. You can push much more with a budget shortblock. Bought mine used for $1500, fresh, with no core.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:21 PM
jimbos'ss
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by user_name
People have made 1100-1300 on the 6265's numerous times. That's about what they are good for. No reason to chase that. You haven't seen to many try with smaller cubes bc they are converting to 6 bolt blocks, and it only makes sense to go with bigger cubes. Nice, aftermarket heads become the only options as well.

Mine is a low comp 347, that does NOT have the backpressure issues these guys have dealt with. Never would have had the wastegate issues to this extent if I had the backpressure. Only dyno'd it twice with eboost issues once, and then cold clutch issues next 950-980. No intentions of pushing it much farther than the 24psi it has been seeing though. It won't be on pump gas if I do.

I think Turbo-Geist did well pushing that shortblock. I also think it would be a mistake to go with another one at that level. Something will let go eventually. You can push much more with a budget shortblock. Bought mine used for $1500, fresh, with no core.
It was your car with the boost control issues, I thought you were running bigger cubes for some reason.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:46 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

2017 C5 of Year Finalist

I'm in no hurry on this one. The damage tally so far is:
  • Block, windage tray - destroyed
  • Oil pan - broken
  • #5 rod - broken
  • #4, #6, and #8 rods are slightly bent
  • Heads may just need a valve job
  • Camshaft lobes damaged
  • The bottoms of most of the pistons have shrapnel damage
However, the tops of the pistons are all intact and show no signs of detonation or broken ring lands.

Here are the spark plugs viewed as if looking at them from the respective side of the engine.

Drivers side ordered from left to right 1,3,5,7
Name:  DSCN1469_zps90b0d645.jpg
Views: 1031
Size:  38.3 KB
Name:  DSCN1452_zps00d970a4.jpg
Views: 1030
Size:  34.5 KB

Passenger's side, on the far right is #2 then #4,#6,#8 moving to the left
Name:  DSCN1460_zpsaa280122.jpg
Views: 1025
Size:  34.5 KB
Name:  DSCN1468_zps1ccbd668.jpg
Views: 1028
Size:  40.3 KB
Old 01-22-2014, 07:49 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

2017 C5 of Year Finalist

I believe Pekka_Perkeles requested some rod bearing pictures. I'll get some pictures of the main bearings this weekend hopefully. Once again the individual view is as if you were standing on the DS or PS of the engine and looking down. Let me know if bearing pictures are clear enough. It's kind of hard to get the distance and lighting right without too much flash.

Rod Bearings
Name:  DSCN1508_zps59c820aa.jpg
Views: 1030
Size:  29.1 KB

#1 Rod Bearing
Name:  DSCN1523_zps26b8a6cd.jpg
Views: 1044
Size:  23.0 KB

#3 Rod Bearing
Name:  DSCN1522_zps7bdfe1eb.jpg
Views: 1032
Size:  21.9 KB

#5 Rod Bearing
Name:  DSCN1524_zps631c1752.jpg
Views: 1039
Size:  22.3 KB

#7 Rod Bearing
Name:  DSCN1525_zpse08bdfcd.jpg
Views: 1047
Size:  23.0 KB

#2 Rod Bearing
Name:  DSCN1517_zps97571126.jpg
Views: 1041
Size:  23.9 KB

#4 Rod Bearing
Name:  DSCN1518_zps0ade1fcb.jpg
Views: 1054
Size:  24.9 KB

#6 Rod Bearing
Name:  DSCN1519_zps902ee08a.jpg
Views: 1071
Size:  26.4 KB

#8 Rod Bearing
Name:  DSCN1520_zpsaddbef99.jpg
Views: 1035
Size:  23.9 KB

Last edited by Turbo-Geist; 01-22-2014 at 07:52 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:50 PM
skull
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

if my motor goes. I want it to look like that. maybe even a piston thru the hood would make me happy
Old 01-22-2014, 09:04 PM
Chris Stewart
Safety Car

Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts

Those looked great. Maybe wipe them clean and use em again?
Old 01-22-2014, 09:23 PM
slow ride
Drifting

Stick a late model 5.3 with the bigger rods and 799 heads in it and keep at it Any idea of what you want to do with it. It's getting to be a bad time of year to need a machine shop to do work for you that's for sure.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:27 PM
a/c man
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Stewart
Man if they made it through all that they must be bad ***! run them again
Old 01-23-2014, 12:08 AM
JDS99
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

Those will buff out. A little JB weld on the block, weld that rod back together, press the others straight, and it'll be good as new

I think I saw a 5.3 short block on craigslist for $250......
Old 01-23-2014, 08:24 AM
InfiniteReality
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

I'm looking forward to the new numbers with the new engine!
Old 01-23-2014, 10:09 AM
PEETYZ
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

That was quite a way to go out. Looking forward to the next build results!

I am looking at a budget style setup soon for next winter. GM LQ9 370 build or LM7 5.3 bored to a 5.7 347 is my current dilemma
Old 01-23-2014, 10:15 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Ben, just build yourself a nice forged short block and go back together with it. No reason to play the junk yard game... Vettes are too labor intensive to keep swapping motors every time you pop one.... Especially the way you like to run them...(big power and track passes)

Get Beau at H Squared to build you a nice short block and be done with the time bombs..
Old 01-23-2014, 03:11 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Chris Stewart

Originally Posted by a/c man
Man if they made it through all that they must be bad ***! run them again
Originally Posted by JDS99
Those will buff out. A little JB weld on the block, weld that rod back together, press the others straight, and it'll be good as new

I think I saw a 5.3 short block on craigslist for $250......
Yeah, the bearings seem to show ok wear for an 85k mile engine that has only been used for racing the last 20,000 miles. Rod bolts and rings were ok also. This is the first time I've ever completely disassembled an LS motor and am impressed with the quality of the factory internals. Between a few different individuals, we probably have enough left over parts to make a complete engine.

Last edited by Turbo-Geist; 01-23-2014 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:18 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by slow ride
Stick a late model 5.3 with the bigger rods and 799 heads in it and keep at it Any idea of what you want to do with it. It's getting to be a bad time of year to need a machine shop to do work for you that's for sure.
Unfortunately, I have a couple of limitations. I want to run 8s, but with a 6 speed, 93 octane and meth. I also will be keeping the TTiX kit. I think it will be tough to achieve the goal with a 5.3. Are the machine shops starting to get busy this time of year? I haven't had any machine work done in over 10 years.

Originally Posted by PEETYZ

That was quite a way to go out. Looking forward to the next build results!

I am looking at a budget style setup soon for next winter. GM LQ9 370 build or LM7 5.3 bored to a 5.7 347 is my current dilemma
The LQ9 is Gen III based correct, but an iron block? Does the 370 need better heads in order to hit full potential?

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Ben, just build yourself a nice forged short block and go back together with it. No reason to play the junk yard game... Vettes are too labor intensive to keep swapping motors every time you pop one.... Especially the way you like to run them...(big power and track passes)

Get Beau at H Squared to build you a nice short block and be done with the time bombs..
I wish this thing had a tube frame front and lift off nose piece. It would be way easier to do an engine swap and I would probably drop another stocker in. The stock stuff is cheap, fun, and works. Doing this on jackstands in a garage is something I don't want to do again for a while. It's not hard, I just don't have the extra time for it anymore.

Last edited by Turbo-Geist; 01-23-2014 at 03:21 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Twin Turbo Stock LS1 Engine Failure: Going out with a bang!

Old 01-23-2014, 04:18 PM
MawneeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I wish this thing had a tube frame front and lift off nose piece. It would be way easier to do an engine swap and I would probably drop another stocker in. The stock stuff is cheap, fun, and works. Doing this on jackstands in a garage is something I don't want to do again for a while. It's not hard, I just don't have the extra time for it anymore.
QFT!! This is exactly why I went with a forged Iron shortblock rather than a much cheaper 5.3, Ls1/6 pullout. Just too much of a pain in the **** to do twice.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:07 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Unfortunately, I have a couple of limitations. I want to run 8s, but with a 6 speed, 93 octane and meth. I also will be keeping the TTiX kit. I think it will be tough to achieve the goal with a 5.3. Are the machine shops starting to get busy this time of year? I haven't had any machine work done in over 10 years.

The LQ9 is Gen III based correct, but an iron block? Does the 370 need better heads in order to hit full potential?

I heard that!!
Old 01-23-2014, 07:52 PM
slow ride
Drifting

Well around the midwest the circle track guys crap starts to flood into the machine shop and they come first since they usually spend more money more often. Keeping the original kit like you have with the current stock turbos you might actually make MORE power with a 5.3 than the 5.7 due to less backpressure in the exhaust. If you wanted a cheaper strong iron shortblock a iron 5.3 could be used(or bored out to a 5.7) If you stick with the current turbos I'd stay a 5.7l or smaller as if you just keep going up in size you will keep gaining torque and midrange at the expense of high rpm HP. While more fun on the street it might not be faster at the track.

With the iron block you add 100+ lbs so you have to then overcome that also. Not really a great thing for dropping your ET with a fragile drivetrain. I'm just not sure what you want to spend on this thing. I've seen a local stock bottom end(big rods) 5.3l make over 1100hp on an engine dyno with a geardrive f1x and run mid 5's in the 8th so thay can take a good beating. Bang for the buck aluminum block to build off would be a 5.3, a 5.3 bored to 5.7 or a used 5.7. A better set of heads will give you more off boost power and you would end up making the same power as before with less boost which might drop your IAT's etc. Price starts to go up on blocks (used and new) when you want aluminum 6.0, 6.2 etc etc.

Quick Reply: Twin Turbo Stock LS1 Engine Failure: Going out with a bang!