C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone rebuilt a vortech head unit before?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 05:17 PM
Bent98c5
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone rebuilt a vortech head unit before?

My impeller seal was leaking so I decided to do a rebuild and found the part numbers online for the bearings only to find that the impeller shaft bearings I got are too small. Are there different bearing sizes used in the same vortech units?
The old bearings are already gone. But from what I remember there were no writings on them which is why they just got tossed
Old 02-08-2014, 06:27 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

Obviously any bearings used will depend on what blower it actually is.

Vortech's bearings will have Vortech's own numbers on them, so are of little use anyway.

But bearings are all based on size. ID, OD and width. So in that respect easy to find.

Now finding bearings with suitable speed ratings can be a harder task, especially the high speed side. The low speed are easy as they generally spin fairly slowly ( ie sub 20k ) and most of that size will be rated around that anyway
Old 02-08-2014, 06:39 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Vortech does not sell rebuild parts or authorize any maintainence outside of vortech.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:46 PM
Milan
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

But with that said I think there is a company called supercharger rebuilds (dot com?) that will have all the parts and also rebuilds them
Old 02-08-2014, 06:49 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

They seem to have a variable reputation.

And any bearings they sell, they grind the part numbers off them. So you have no way of knowing if they are actually suitable.

As long as the impeller isnt damaged and no other major damage. ie it's just a bearing and seal change, the actual work is pretty easy. But you will need a hydraulic press.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:41 PM
danieloneil01
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
They seem to have a variable reputation.

And any bearings they sell, they grind the part numbers off them. So you have no way of knowing if they are actually suitable.

As long as the impeller isnt damaged and no other major damage. ie it's just a bearing and seal change, the actual work is pretty easy. But you will need a hydraulic press.
Wow
Old 02-08-2014, 07:57 PM
Bent98c5
Racer

They won't confirm what bearing they sell either so you don't know what their speed ratings are. The work is def easy. I just can't find the part number that's correct to my case. It's a 17x40x10 15 degree angular contact set that I need rated for Abec 7. I'll just have to get on the phone with skf here on Monday.

I know I'm not the only one here that rebuilds this stuff themselves. Maybe I just have trust issues. That and I'm impatient.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:59 PM
StealthFRC
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

the bearings in my t trim had numbers on them, ill see if i can dig them up and if they will help you out
Old 02-08-2014, 09:49 PM
Milan
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

What's the big deal about grinding part numbers off? Injector Dynamics does that to their injectors.

They are just trying to protect their investment, not gyp you.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:08 AM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Milan
What's the big deal about grinding part numbers off? Injector Dynamics does that to their injectors.

They are just trying to protect their investment, not gyp you.
Then why do SCR seem to have a bad reputation on most forums ?

Try searching yourself for high speed bearings that are rated to 65-70k.

They pretty much do not exist.

SKF and one or two others do list some in catalogues. But when I enquired none had actually ever been made and there were no plans to make them. That was anywhere in the world according to SKF Europe.

So I can only presume that the bearings both Vortech and others might sell are not rated for the speeds involved, but they just overspin them.

I have been given part numbers from others who have rebuilt using ceramic bearings. No idea where these were sourced from, as when I contacted the European suppliers with those numbers they simply didnt exist. Places I emailed in the US never even replied.

One Australian company actually uses the same size ceramic bearings in their turbochargers and said they would sell me a pair, until I tried to pay them. Then they seemed to stop all contact...weird people.

They may be trying to protect their investment....or they may be trying to deceive.. Without real information I will opt for the latter.

Most of ID's thing is sales pitch. That's why there are other sellers selling the exact same Bosch injectors at much lower cost. There is nothing special about their injectors, they were just great at marketing them.

Last edited by stevieturbo; 02-09-2014 at 06:15 AM.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:51 AM
StealthFRC
Melting Slicks

this is the smaller bearing in the t trim. the larger one has some markings on the outside ring that are hard to pick up with my camera, when i get home ill take a closer look.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:39 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Weird if those are original Vortech and never been rebuilt.

I bought a pair of those ( 7203CDYU ) precision bearings for mine, but never used them. The low speeds were a pair, 7205CDYU.
These are sold packaged as matched pairs, not single bearings.

But even those 7203C precision bearings are only rated to 31,000rpm as a pair, or 39,000 singly.

Which again backs my thinking up that they just use fairly normal bearings and just overspin them
Old 02-09-2014, 01:03 PM
StealthFRC
Melting Slicks

Head unit came new from a&a
Old 02-09-2014, 01:13 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Both original sets of bearings in my YSi were Vortech branded and Vortech part numbers

Maybe they've just stopped doing that and do fit normal makes of bearing
Old 02-09-2014, 01:44 PM
Bent98c5
Racer

Thanks for the pics. That does help me out.

Stevieturbo are you runnjng bearings that you are overspinning?
Old 02-09-2014, 01:54 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bent98c5
Thanks for the pics. That does help me out.

Stevieturbo are you runnjng bearings that you are overspinning?
Ive replaced the low speed 7205's a few times. But I never did replace the high speeds as they never needed replaced. And I was paranoid about using the 7203's as they were not rated for the 70krpm or so I would be using.

But then...the Vortech bearings arent rated for that either as they state 65k max for their blowers. I'd say Ive used 75k max on occasion

Their high speed bearings dont look like anything special, and mine were just normal metal bearings. Others with newer units have said theirs were ceramic bearings.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:18 PM
Bent98c5
Racer

Is there any reason you used 7205? Mine from vortech had skf 6205 in it and I ordered some of those a replacement

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone rebuilt a vortech head unit before?

Old 02-09-2014, 02:28 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

The low speeds on my YSi were also angular contact bearings.

6205's are normal bearings and have a very low speed rating
Old 02-10-2014, 11:54 PM
Skunkworks
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Both original sets of bearings in my YSi were Vortech branded and Vortech part numbers

Maybe they've just stopped doing that and do fit normal makes of bearing
Vortech stopped using custom SKF bearings a long time ago. Nachi bearings have been standard for over 7 years now.

The Nachi bearings (like one in pictures) are hybrid ABEC 7 (metal race w/ceramic *****). Can’t remember exact speed rating but in 40K+ RPM region. Last time I purchased a pair, think it was around $120 (USD).

As for supercharger rebuild, the reason for grinding off numbers is you are likely getting ABEC 5 bearings at ABEC 7 prices. Then he also doesn’t buy “known” quality brand names. His custom impeller wheels is enough to tell anybody that he does not know what he is doing (yes I actually spoke to him years ago).

Old 02-11-2014, 10:08 AM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Sounds like a bunch of theory in here.

Quick Reply: Anyone rebuilt a vortech head unit before?