C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fueling/Tuning Issue Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 12:46 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

Default Fueling/Tuning Issue Help!

Hey there. Im really stumped right now with this issue Im having with my C5. First of all let me list my mods.

2002 C5 Coupe
LS3, stock crank with forged pistons and rods 10:1cr
Stock LS3 heads with exhaust ports ported
Stock LS3 intake manifold
Vortech V2 8psi
Fuel system is dual in-tank Walbro 255lph
60lb injectors
LPE conversion box (working good, Light always green)
Closed loop speed density tune with 2 bar map

Heres the story...I rebuilt the motor after I broke the ringland on piston #7. Everything was basically the same except the pistons dropped compression from 10.5:1(L92 pistons) to 10.0:1cr. So the tune stayed the same. On the initial startup, we idled the engine at 3000rpm for 15min per the builders instructions. Everything was good, no leaks. Then we changed the oil of course. A few days later we start it up and after it warmed up it started missing really bad and was idling super rich, 10.0afr. Plugs got fouled, Autolite 103, so I changed the plugs to NGKTR6. The problem didnt go away. Then one day while idling in the shop bay it died. No fuel. Checked fuel pressure, nothing. Looked under the car and found that the weather pack connector from the main harness to the fuel pumps jumper harness had burned up, got too hot. Looked like the shop that had installed the supercharger and fuel system modified the stock harness vs using a hotwire kit. Looked like the small 18g wire couldnt handle the amperage. So I installed a hotwire kit from Caspers and replaced the oem harness. The car stared right up. It idled good when cold on the rack but as soon as it warmed up it went way rich and missing like crazy again. All temps are good, all relays and fuses are good.

So today we were trying to troubleshoot the issue. What was weird was that the last few days it was running way rich but a few times today it went way lean. Hooked up the pressure guage to the fuel rail. We got 64psi with the key on and just over 70psi while running. Also whats strange is it both was rich and lean with this fuel pressure. Something tells me both fuel pumps are always running but we didnt touch them and the car ran good before the rebuild. Also this issue existed with and without the hotwire kit. When you rev it up, say past 3000rpm, it sounds good and doesnt miss. Cant figure out whats going on here. The car has a closed loop speed density tune. I dont know if the O2's are an issue, maybe we criss crossed them, or the map sensor is going out. Idk, Im reaching here.

Plans are to hook up a scanner to see what the O2 and map sensors are doing. Also gonna disconnect the O2's to see if anything changes. The battery on the car was dead for weeks and we just replaced it. Can something like a tune or memory be wiped out? Not sure what else to do or check. I havent done much tuning and Ive never encountered this problem. I would like to figure this in house vs looking for a tuner. Everything should be exactly the same as before the rebuild so i dont know what could have changed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh and the car is still using the stock fuel pressure regulator. I believe its on the side of the rail by the fuel tank.

Last edited by C5Natie; 02-09-2014 at 12:59 AM.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:55 AM
RickClarke23
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You more than likely have an 02 issue. Make sure they are plugged in and working. Your tune will not wipe out with a dead battery.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:05 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

No codes either. Only have an old one for the maf thats been there since the sd tune.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:08 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RickClarke23
You more than likely have an 02 issue. Make sure they are plugged in and working. Your tune will not wipe out with a dead battery.
I was thinking that since it seems like the problem arises when the car is warm, or in closed loop basically. Then it would use the o2's. Would it run that rich though? I remember my friend didnt recall what o2 connector went to which one so they may be crossed. Two banks fighting each other?
Old 02-09-2014, 01:18 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Took a cold start video. Idles good, no miss only when cold.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:56 AM
a/c man
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

This..I dont know if the O2's are an issue, maybe we criss crossed them, or bad ground check all grounds. I have these problems.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:00 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Originally Posted by a/c man
This..I dont know if the O2's are an issue, maybe we criss crossed them, or bad ground check all grounds. I have these problems.
I will double check but all the grounds looked good and were connected. Unless I missed one.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:18 AM
a/c man
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by C5Natie
I will double check but all the grounds looked good and were connected. Unless I missed one.
long ago I had a loose one looked good but 1 turn loose my car acted stupid!! run ok then bad, good luck Man are you getting codes? plug wires can do this too,what wires you got?

Last edited by a/c man; 02-09-2014 at 03:22 AM.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:45 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Originally Posted by a/c man
long ago I had a loose one looked good but 1 turn loose my car acted stupid!! run ok then bad, good luck Man are you getting codes? plug wires can do this too,what wires you got?
No codes. I have Taylor 8.5mm wires. Theyre only about a year old. Thanks for the advice. I'll go over the grounds again to be extra sure.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:21 PM
C5Natie
Safety Car

A/c man, thnx for the help. Turns out the o2's were crossed. They were sluggish too so I just replaced them. She runs great now.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:27 PM
a/c man
Le Mans Master

A/c man, thnx for the help. Turns out the o2's were crossed. They were sluggish too so I just replaced them. She runs great now.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:33 PM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Great job Scotty
Old 02-09-2014, 09:45 PM
C5Natie
Safety Car

http://instagram.com/p/kOBMKKP99w/

Get notified of new replies

To Fueling/Tuning Issue Help!

Quick Reply: Fueling/Tuning Issue Help!