C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The chirping has returned!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 04:13 PM
Adrians99FRC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The chirping has returned!!!

After replacing the wobbling plastic p/s pulley, a worn out idler pulley, and putting a new belt on the chirping was gone for a few weeks

now it is back

did a little reading and looking around the forums .. looks like the only things left it could be would be a water pump or the crank pulley

got a feeling the water pump is fairly new (I'll have to check my stack of receipts that came with the car though)

but I get a chirp until the car is warmed up .. then it goes away

looked down at the crank pulley while it was warming up today and I think it may have a wobble to it

so my questions now are -

1) how much wobble is normal? (I noticed some posts that there is some that is normal)

2) if mine needs replacing what pulley are you guys with superchargers using?

thanks .. hopefully I can get it fixed for longer than a few weeks this time
Old 02-21-2014, 06:03 PM
Cutlassmaster
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 84 Posts

I too had a chirp that would go away when warmed up. I replaced the balancer with a Summit Racing stock size for about $190. Installed it when I did my SC. Over 1000 mile chirp free except for them damn tire chirping
Chris
Old 02-21-2014, 06:07 PM
StealthFRC
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

check for oil leaks, any oil on the belt will cause it to chirp when cold and go away when warm.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:08 PM
a/c man
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

looked down at the crank pulley while it was warming up today and I think it may have a wobble to it

This is your problem I have chased this problem before lil wobble make chirp!!
Old 02-21-2014, 06:18 PM
Adrians99FRC
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cutlassmaster
I too had a chirp that would go away when warmed up. I replaced the balancer with a Summit Racing stock size for about $190. Installed it when I did my SC. Over 1000 mile chirp free except for them damn tire chirping
Chris
something like this one?

http://www.summitracing.com/ga/parts...0033/overview/

just changed the power steering pulley and an idler pulley .. taking the supercharger off isnt bad, but getting it all shoved back in there is a PITA

how bad was dropping the rack and swapping the balancer?

Originally Posted by StealthFRC
check for oil leaks, any oil on the belt will cause it to chirp when cold and go away when warm.
the belt looks completely dry .. but I need to get a good flashlight to check this and double check the wobble on the crank

Originally Posted by a/c man
This is your problem I have chased this problem before lil wobble make chirp!!
I wish this would have waited til this summer .. been wanting to put a blower cam in, and since I already have to drop the steering rack and stuff to swap the balancer

Last edited by Adrians99FRC; 02-21-2014 at 06:21 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:43 PM
a/c man
Le Mans Master

Just let it chirp till you get ready to do a cam swap it ain't hurting a thing except your ears
Old 02-21-2014, 06:54 PM
Adrians99FRC
Instructor

Originally Posted by a/c man
Just let it chirp till you get ready to do a cam swap it ain't hurting a thing except your ears

if thats the case

I'm not worried about the noise .. it goes away once its warmed up

just dont need the crank coming apart .. thought I saw a few posts saying they can come apart and tear things up .. even though its barely a wobble if there is one (going to get a good flashlight and double check tomorrow)

just got done with the targa conversion so I was hoping to let my wallet cool off a little before starting the next "project"
Old 02-21-2014, 07:03 PM
a/c man
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Adrians99FRC
if thats the case

I'm not worried about the noise .. it goes away once its warmed up

just dont need the crank coming apart .. thought I saw a few posts saying they can come apart and tear things up .. even though its barely a wobble if there is one (going to get a good flashlight and double check tomorrow)

just got done with the targa conversion so I was hoping to let my wallet cool off a little before starting the next "project"
mine on my old kit was like this for a year just keep a eye on it if you see the belt starting to fray time to change it. mine finely got bad it just threw the belt one day then I changed it for a 8 rib setup!
Old 02-21-2014, 07:08 PM
Adrians99FRC
Instructor

Awesome .. I'll wait til I'm ready to do the cam then

It just started so I guess I got some time .. Has a brand new belt on it but I'll keep an eye on the belt condition and the wobble

Should be doing a cam this summer
Old 02-21-2014, 09:40 PM
fisher auto
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Brand new GM balancer chirped/s on me!
Old 02-22-2014, 08:23 AM
Cutlassmaster
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 84 Posts

The balancer I bought was SUM-C2501. Others have also bought it and it works great. I would also agree with others about swap. I ran my squeak until I had to pin the crank for the SC. Then swapped it out when I had to pin the crank. Many would say do the pump and chain while in there. I had no issues prior so I left that stuff alone. If I were doing a cam then sure I would have done that stuff.
Chris
Old 02-22-2014, 05:15 PM
Adrians99FRC
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cutlassmaster
The balancer I bought was SUM-C2501. Others have also bought it and it works great. I would also agree with others about swap. I ran my squeak until I had to pin the crank for the SC. Then swapped it out when I had to pin the crank. Many would say do the pump and chain while in there. I had no issues prior so I left that stuff alone. If I were doing a cam then sure I would have done that stuff.
Chris
whenever I get it all apart for the cam im going to do cam, springs, pushrods, valve stem seals, timing chain, oil pump, and whatever else I can while im in there

car has 120k on it .. runs awesome right now, but might as well freshen everything up while im in there and see how many miles I can get out of it before it blows and I have to build it

septic tank backed up yesterday .. popped the lid today just to make sure it was the septic tank and not the foundation drain flooding the yard .. its the tank, so hopfully I can get this issue sorted out for cheap so it doesnt hold up my cam swap
Old 02-23-2014, 08:13 AM
BoostSlam
Instructor

Hey man I had been dealing with the same chirp! Do not wait to replace that pulley or at the least don't drive long distances. I had a bad idler pulley replaced it and the chirp continued. I started throwing belts which came down to the crank pulley failing leaving me stranded and left towing my car home. The timing cover crank seal went with it dousing my whole engine bay in oil. Lesson learned for me.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:32 AM
sami85L98
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Before you replaced few pullies, did you check for bearing play noise with each pulley spinning by hand? ofcourse after removing belt.

You cant spin crank pulley by hand, but you can use medium size pry bar behind the pulley on corners and try to pry at different spots.....this gives you idea of external pulley (outer layer) moves means separating from inner pulley.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:24 AM
Adrians99FRC
Instructor

If I throw a belt then I'll park it til I fix it

As for spinning the idlers .. I did .. The one I replaced was original and really worn .. The rest look brand new and probably done with the supercharger about 15k miles ago

As for the crank I didn't check it .. Didn't know to pry on it and check
Old 02-23-2014, 04:48 PM
sami85L98
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrians99FRC

As for the crank I didn't check it .. Didn't know to pry on it and check
Installing new balancer on my Nissan Maxima DD as i am typing this, well it literally separated, once i took off balancer bolt out, and give a light smack on balancer both inner and outer ring fall off, i had chirping on this car for long time, and finally decided to take care of this as weather is not too bad here this weekend, good thing belt never broke on me.......so check the balancer without belt, pry on each side and watch if out ring seperates from inner even slight play there.....thats enough to call for a new Balancer.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:46 PM
Adrians99FRC
Instructor

I might be able to take the tension off of the belt enough to check the crank pulley .. Might have to do it from below though

My car has the brake thing on one side and the blower on the other side so it's hard even trying to see the crank pulley no matter prying on it from above

as for the chirp .. it didnt do it today

Last edited by Adrians99FRC; 02-23-2014 at 05:54 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To The chirping has returned!!!

Old 02-23-2014, 09:49 PM
rodsvet
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I bought and installed and pinned the Summit C2501 like Cutlass did. 8,000 supercharged miles with no wobble or chirps. It is an eight rib but you only use the front six. Take a look and you will see. It's SFI rated. Rod
Old 02-23-2014, 11:38 PM
Adrians99FRC
Instructor

Originally Posted by rodsvet
I bought and installed and pinned the Summit C2501 like Cutlass did. 8,000 supercharged miles with no wobble or chirps. It is an eight rib but you only use the front six. Take a look and you will see. It's SFI rated. Rod
I'll grab that one then when I do the cam and everything .. who knows I might need the 8 ribs later on
Old 03-05-2014, 03:05 PM
Oh 2 Fun
Le Mans Master

Received 546 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '13, '15

I'm in the same boat. Chirping has returned. Last spring I replaced the top idler/tensioner and a new upper belt. Still chirped. So found out the waterpump was bad, had that replaced and the lower tensioner. The Mechanic is our area expert on Corvettes and he said my harmonic balancer was fine.

Been driving it since with no chirp at ALL and loving it. So, for winter, haven't been driving as much, but still driving it every couple of weeks. It lives outside. But yesterday I start it and it's chirping. Got it minimized some by driving some distance but still continues and more after it cools off.

Dammit.......

Quick Reply: The chirping has returned!!!