C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

B&M trans cooler install info wanted

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 11:18 PM
Gitusum
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default B&M trans cooler install info wanted

i got my B&M 70297 trans cooler in today and i am looking for information on how to wire it up. i did a search and seen where some are wiring it to come on with the ignition and some doing the wiring to come on with the thermostat. I would like to wire it to come on with the ignition rather than the thermostat but will it burn out the motor on the fan sooner doing this? also i see where some are not going through the radiator and just using the cooler which makes sense to me so i will most likely hook the lines up that way. So now i need a wiring diagram or how the fan was wired up to come on with the ignition if someone can help me with that info would be great. also i am guessing it doesnt matter which line goes into either end of the cooler from the trans if it isnt going through the radiator?
Old 03-04-2014, 11:33 PM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I would use the stat it comes with, feed by a fused 10 gauge wire from your under the hood power distribution box lug bolt.

I'd also run the trans to the cooler, then to the rad.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:58 AM
danieloneil01
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never heard of running it to the rad after a external cooler.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:01 AM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by danieloneil01
Never heard of running it to the rad after a external cooler.
Thinking it would help keep the rad cooler, either way is better than 1 cooler
Old 03-05-2014, 01:03 PM
danieloneil01
Drifting

I've always been told to go to the rad first then the external due to the fact it'll heat up the fluid if it goes through the radiator last. My old car I didn't go through the radiator at all and never had problems.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:41 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Personally, I would not run the tranny fluid to the radiator at all.. Odds are, your water temps are gonna be way higher then your tranny temps, therefore you'll just be heating the tranny fluid up in the radiator.

Just run the 70297 cooler as a stand alone. Its plenty to keep the trans under 200*. I did not use the thermostat as it came on way too late... Normally my trans stays under 180* with this cooler without the fan... Over 180*, I turn the fan on with a toggle switch.

Initially I had the fan wired to the 12v switched circuit and let it run all the time, problem with that is, it runs all the time.. Lol.. Any time you are flashing a tune, the fan is on.. Listening to the stereo waiting for wifey to come out of the store, the fan is on. 40* outside, the fan is on... Just seems dumb to me to run the fan all the time and pull voltage off the alternator for nothing.... Not to mention burning up fan motor life.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:42 PM
Gitusum
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Personally, I would not run the tranny fluid to the radiator at all.. Odds are, your water temps are gonna be way higher then your tranny temps, therefore you'll just be heating the tranny fluid up in the radiator.

Just run the 70297 cooler as a stand alone. Its plenty to keep the trans under 200*. I did not use the thermostat as it came on way too late... Normally my trans stays under 180* with this cooler without the fan... Over 180*, I turn the fan on with a toggle switch.

Initially I had the fan wired to the 12v switched circuit and let it run all the time, problem with that is, it runs all the time.. Lol.. Any time you are flashing a tune, the fan is on.. Listening to the stereo waiting for wifey to come out of the store, the fan is on. 40* outside, the fan is on... Just seems dumb to me to run the fan all the time and pull voltage off the alternator for nothing.... Not to mention burning up fan motor life.

it definately makes sense to not run it thru the radiator to keep it cooler but then again it also makes sense to run it thru the rad 1st then the cooler. i am torn far as wiring it up i like the idea of a toggle switch but would be afraid i would forget to turn it on and would have to find a place to mount the switch also
Old 03-05-2014, 08:25 PM
Chris Stewart
Safety Car

Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts

Mine is wired to let the thermostat work like it's supposed to. Then I run another +12v from a switch to activate whenever I want it.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:00 PM
Gitusum
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Chris Stewart
Mine is wired to let the thermostat work like it's supposed to. Then I run another +12v from a switch to activate whenever I want it.
did you run it thru the radiator or no Chris?
Old 03-05-2014, 09:10 PM
Chris Stewart
Safety Car

No I have a stock Z06 radiator.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:30 PM
Gitusum
Le Mans Master

No I have a stock Z06 radiator.
so you didnt run your trans cooler lines thru the radiator? just used the tranny cooler only to cool the trans? does it work good for you?
Old 03-05-2014, 10:01 PM
a/c man
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

mine just runs to the b&m cooler no tstat and runs all the time
Old 03-05-2014, 10:09 PM
Gitusum
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by a/c man
mine just runs to the b&m cooler no tstat and runs all the time
arent you worried it will burn up the motor? has anyone burnt up the fan motor running it thru the ignition?
Old 03-06-2014, 12:53 AM
a/c man
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Gitusum
arent you worried it will burn up the motor? has anyone burnt up the fan motor running it thru the ignition?
not a problem here 3 years still going if the fan goes out I will just buy a new one
Old 03-27-2014, 04:32 PM
danieloneil01
Drifting

Did you ever install yours, if so got pictures?
Old 03-27-2014, 07:20 PM
Chris Stewart
Safety Car

Originally Posted by a/c man
not a problem here 3 years still going if the fan goes out I will just buy a new one
Haha says the guy that drives 500 miles a year.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:30 PM
a/c man
Le Mans Master

Haha says the guy that drives 500 miles a year.

I like the way yours mounts to the rear cradle that was your car right?

Get notified of new replies

To B&M trans cooler install info wanted

Old 03-27-2014, 08:23 PM
Chris Stewart
Safety Car

Yes when I went auto, they put a B&M on the back. The temps were always over 200 degrees, so I added a front mount and it stays under 200. Maybe not enough airflow there.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:27 PM
rodsvet
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I installed mine under the left front headlight, removed the brake duct for better airflow and junked the thermostat and run a switch in the ashtray. Works great and it's invisible. I did run it thru the radiator first and with the fan off it rarely gets over 180 degrees. I used all braided stainless lines to be safe on the pressure side. Rod PS If you put under the headlight, make sure you mount it low enough not to get in the way of the headlight door movement. There is plenty of room, just be careful.

Last edited by rodsvet; 03-27-2014 at 09:31 PM. Reason: PS addition
Old 03-27-2014, 10:28 PM
black98c5
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsvet
I installed mine under the left front headlight, removed the brake duct for better airflow and junked the thermostat and run a switch in the ashtray. Works great and it's invisible. I did run it thru the radiator first and with the fan off it rarely gets over 180 degrees. I used all braided stainless lines to be safe on the pressure side. Rod PS If you put under the headlight, make sure you mount it low enough not to get in the way of the headlight door movement. There is plenty of room, just be careful.
Do you have any pics? I'd like to do this as well.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: B&M trans cooler install info wanted