C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question on head porting and gains on boostef platform

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 12:08 PM
knightz06
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default question on head porting and gains on boostef platform

hey guys this is my first boosted build , ive always been a head and cam guy before this year , having the na past I bought cnc ls3 heads and a ported intake and custom cam ,

on a na setup ive seen good heads add 40hp , will this gain be the same on a boosted set up ? or more with more air into the motor ?

a lot of boosted guys ive spoken with told me to skip the porting , just kinda confused

thanks Daniel
Old 04-03-2014, 01:33 PM
PEETYZ
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

More efficient is always better boosted or not. It's just easier to push more power without needing port work when boosted. I'm sure you see about the same horsepower gain on a boosted vs non boosted set up.

Perhaps a main arguement is to say port the heads for $500+ or get a smaller pulley for $150 which would be a better cost to power ratio. If you have the heads already ported or the money to do so then go for it

I will let the more knowledgeable members comment now

Last edited by PEETYZ; 04-03-2014 at 01:35 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:18 PM
knightz06
Racer

Originally Posted by PEETYZ
More efficient is always better boosted or not. It's just easier to push more power without needing port work when boosted. I'm sure you see about the same horsepower gain on a boosted vs non boosted set up.

Perhaps a main arguement is to say port the heads for $500+ or get a smaller pulley for $150 which would be a better cost to power ratio. If you have the heads already ported or the money to do so then go for it

I will let the more knowledgeable members comment now
thanks for the knowledge
Old 04-05-2014, 11:46 AM
StatmanRN
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

The boost may go down as it is a function of restriction, but it will help the power. On a HP/dollar scale though...
Old 04-05-2014, 11:55 AM
knightz06
Racer

Originally Posted by StatmanRN
The boost may go down as it is a function of restriction, but it will help the power. On a HP/dollar scale though...
Old 04-05-2014, 12:05 PM
JDS99
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

Are the ls3 heads on the car now? If not, I would consider selling them. They have a pretty thin deck and aren't known to handle too much on boosted setups. This is why GM went to the LSA heads, etc.

As far as porting. My personal opinion is if you do, then go easy on it for boost. Valves cool by heat transfer across the guides and seats.. Most of the CNC porting work literally mills part of the guide away, therefore reducing heat transfer are and wall thickness. I prefer to flow just a little bit less over having less cooling capacity for valves.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:32 PM
knightz06
Racer

Originally Posted by JDS99
Are the ls3 heads on the car now? If not, I would consider selling them. They have a pretty thin deck and aren't known to handle too much on boosted setups. This is why GM went to the LSA heads, etc.

As far as porting. My personal opinion is if you do, then go easy on it for boost. Valves cool by heat transfer across the guides and seats.. Most of the CNC porting work literally mills part of the guide away, therefore reducing heat transfer are and wall thickness. I prefer to flow just a little bit less over having less cooling capacity for valves.
thank you for this information

damn it , the heads cost me 1700 dollars , from a na build i was gonna do, they have ss valves actually l92 heads custom castings not gm

i tried to sell them on tech but a bunch of lowballers

thanks man from one vette to another

Get notified of new replies

To question on head porting and gains on boostef platform

Quick Reply: question on head porting and gains on boostef platform