C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does a restrictor plate supercharger (ECS) differ/is better in low end torque?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 01:11 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Granby, MA Talladega Super Speedway Vettes 4 Vets Ambassador
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Middle TN Events Coordinator
Cruise-In 1, 3, 9. 10 & 11 Veteran

Default How does a restrictor plate supercharger (ECS) differ/is better in low end torque?

So I talked to a vendor on here which I won't name as it is irrelevant but was I bit intrigued with his supercharger recommendation for me. He said for my car (2002 MN6, LG headers, porter throttle body, high flow cats and Corsa Exhaust, tuned) that if I wanted more torque under the curve (WHICH I REALLY AM AFTER!) that he would recommend going with an ECS centri type system, which uses a restrictor plate vs a centri system that does not. Can someone explain to me why and how this works? It really is the first time I have heard of this. Iam looking for more power but want it to come on fairly early more like a roots style blower works. Why don't I got that route? Mainly right now because it won't fit under the hood and Iam not a big fan of high rise hoods. Oh and because it is like another $2-4,000 more. So yeah...curious about the ECS restrictor plate design possibly being a compromise between the non restrictor plate type system and say the roots style. Thoughts? Comments...GO!

Last edited by XtremeVette; 07-22-2014 at 01:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mlewis100 (12-15-2021)
Old 07-22-2014, 01:29 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,084 Likes on 656 Posts

It simply lets you use a pulley that would be spinning faster at low RPM, thus giving you the tq your looking for, while capping off the upper end boost so you do not over boost.

There is a small window where it is efficient without raising IAT's enough to be noticeable. It is not as efficient trying to step down a high boost vehicle.

Simple yet effective, hope that helps.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:39 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
It simply lets you use a pulley that would be spinning faster at low RPM, thus giving you the tq your looking for, while capping off the upper end boost so you do not over boost.

There is a small window where it is efficient without raising IAT's enough to be noticeable. It is not as efficient trying to step down a high boost vehicle.

Ah ok...very interesting Doug. Iam surprised this isn't highly promoted as a key selling point distinguishing it from the other designs. Seems to really give the ecs style an advantage over other designs and be more suited for the vast majority of guys looking to add a supercharger on a stock or mildly modified car and looking for around 550-600 at the rear wheels but yet get the most torque possible under the curve.
The following users liked this post:
mlewis100 (12-15-2021)
Old 07-22-2014, 05:45 PM
doug_dayson
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If going for a mild 6 psi on a bone stock ls1, how much additional power can be made at say 3K rpm with a restrictor plate (vs a non-restrictor plate setup)?

What would one pulley for, 8 - 10 psi, or...???

Thanks!

Last edited by doug_dayson; 07-22-2014 at 05:57 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:02 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by doug_dayson
If going for a mild 6 psi on a bone stock ls1, how much additional power can be made at say 3K rpm with a restrictor plate (vs a non-restrictor plate setup)?

Thanks!
Excellent question Doug! Ill second this. Hopefully one of the ECS guys has a dyno comparision that maybe they can post the pic of? I too would like to know how much more torque can be had with a certain pulley/PSI combination to maximize gains down low at around 2500-3500, but yet still be safe in the 8-10 psi range for a stock or bolt on type of car. I believe anyway that you wouldn't want to go any psi higher the 10 for stock/bolt on but hey correct me if Iam wrong.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:05 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Doug meant to ask....what is the "small window" your referring to? Is that around 2500-3500rpms?
Old 07-22-2014, 06:16 PM
doug_dayson
Racer

I believe they meant there's a window where pullying down with a restrictor plate yields good returns before IAC's rise limiting things etc.

I think we're on a similar mission XtremeVette, PD'ish power curve sans the high-rise hood.

Originally Posted by XtremeVette
Doug meant to ask....what is the "small window" your referring to? Is that around 2500-3500rpms?

Last edited by doug_dayson; 07-22-2014 at 06:18 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:32 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

I believe they meant there's a window where pullying down with a restrictor plate yields good returns before IAC's rise limiting things etc.

I think we're on a similar mission XtremeVette, PD'ish power curve sans the high-rise hood.
Agreed...we definitely are looking for the same thing.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:49 PM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

Here's my take on it. And, it might be along the same lines as what Doug was saying.

Let's say you have a blower/pulley combo capable of 20 psi, yet your engine is only built to withstand 10 psi. You can put in a restrictor plate and restrict it down to 10 psi, so your engine is happy, and you'd have gobs of TQ. Problem is heat. You'd likely generate quite a bit of heat doing that.

So, how about a blower/pulley combo capable of 15 psi? Restrict it down to 10psi and you'd still have lots of TQ, not so much as in the other example, but not as much heat either.

So, the narrow window is finding the right combination of blower/pulley/restrictor plate to give you your desired results. More TQ with manageable heat...

Good luck with your build.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:15 AM
DOUG @ ECS

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321

Excellent question Doug! Ill second this. Hopefully one of the ECS guys has a dyno comparision that maybe they can post the pic of? I too would like to know how much more torque can be had with a certain pulley/PSI combination to maximize gains down low at around 2500-3500, but yet still be safe in the 8-10 psi range for a stock or bolt on type of car. I believe anyway that you wouldn't want to go any psi higher the 10 for stock/bolt on but hey correct me if Iam wrong.

There are a ton of comparisons posted all over this board, just look at an ECS dyno sheet compared to another brand centrifugal kit. You will find the tq of a car produced here is very close to the HP, where as another making 600 rwhp often has 500 lbs of tq or less from another.

We try and make our builds what I call "square", meaning the tq is the same as the hp, which is how they come from the factory more or less. 550/550 is what we look to make on a non meth injected car, the tq will be lower on a C5 compared to C6/7 from the engine design, but it's still noticeably higher with our kit then others.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:17 AM
DOUG @ ECS

Ah ok...very interesting Doug. Iam surprised this isn't highly promoted as a key selling point distinguishing it from the other designs. Seems to really give the ecs style an advantage over other designs and be more suited for the vast majority of guys looking to add a supercharger on a stock or mildly modified car and looking for around 550-600 at the rear wheels but yet get the most torque possible under the curve.

Truth be told, I do not "promote" much of anything anymore on this board due to posts like you have seen above. Not worth the time and we are extremely busy already. I guess I have grown tired of it.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:02 AM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Truth be told, I do not "promote" much of anything anymore on this board due to posts like you have seen above. Not worth the time and we are extremely busy already. I guess I have grown tired of it.
Understood and thanks for taking the time Doug...I for one do appreciate it! Its been a long time since we met (man going on 14 years now...wow...where does the time go) hope all is going well for you and your family.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:11 AM
DOUG @ ECS

Understood and thanks for taking the time Doug...I for one do appreciate it! Its been a long time since we met (man going on 14 years now...wow...where does the time go) hope all is going well for you and your family.
Family is great thank you, same to you as well.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:12 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Family is great thank you, same to you as well.
thanks man
Old 07-23-2014, 04:31 PM
doug_dayson
Racer

I didn't see any negative posts in this thread Doug, just questions regarding midrange rpm torque gains via a restrictor plate setup vs a non-restrictor plate setup?

My question was regarding a mild 6 PSI setup on a bone stock 2K FRC...

Thanks!

Old 07-23-2014, 05:34 PM
doug_dayson
Racer

I must have missed the deleted posts then, glad I did LOL!

I'm in CA so no LT Headers, hence my interest as otherwise I'd just go N/A for the mild power gains I'm looking for (125 HP).
Old 07-23-2014, 07:41 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Leave off the pissin matches if this thread's going to stay open.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/foru...conflicts.html

Any thread(s) that contain open bickering, name calling, subtle derogatory messages, "digs," personal attacks, or anything negative in nature will be closed/edited or deleted, and any participating members who post in violation of this rule, will jeopardize their posting privileges.

Get notified of new replies

To How does a restrictor plate supercharger (ECS) differ/is better in low end torque?

Old 07-24-2014, 01:38 PM
LTstewy8
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Doug, have y'all tested a relief valve vs. a restrictor plate? I'm curious what the real-life comparison would show.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:49 PM
DOUG @ ECS

I didn't see any negative posts in this thread Doug, just questions regarding midrange rpm torque gains via a restrictor plate setup vs a non-restrictor plate setup?

My question was regarding a mild 6 PSI setup on a bone stock 2K FRC...

Thanks!

Depends on the size of the restrictor in relation to the pulley used so that's tough to answer. That's why we do not sell these for other kits, it actually takes a bit of trial and error to size them correctly.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:50 PM
DOUG @ ECS

Originally Posted by LTstewy8
Doug, have y'all tested a relief valve vs. a restrictor plate? I'm curious what the real-life comparison would show.

Better IAT's and power with the restrictor compared to a waste gate.

Quick Reply: How does a restrictor plate supercharger (ECS) differ/is better in low end torque?