Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous
C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth Sponsored by
A&A Superchargers

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!


Corvette Store
 
 
C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads
 
 
Vendor Directory
  
Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-24-2014, 02:15 AM   #1
HCtotheMAX
Junior Member
 
HCtotheMAX's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2006
Location: Dallas Texas
Default Cog Drive pros vs. cons/ LS6 Blower question

Would any and all F/I experienced members (who know about cog drive set ups) please give me a little direction, and your 2 cents on using a belt Cog drive set up with a Centri blower?

*I know cog set ups are whiney, but that is what I want.

Question: #1. Is there a minimun PSI you have to be running to optimize cog set ups?
Question #2. You hear of regular belts spinning or throwing often, doesn't the cog set up hold better overall? And if so, why don't you see more F/I guys with Centri blowers running a cog set up? They make various widths of the cog belts and pulleys right?

I am stewing over some ideas for my C5Z, the "Silver Fox". Enginewize she has heads, cam, but on stock LS6 bottom. Ported LS6 intake, TB, Headers, Borla Stinger CB.

Had it a while, and I am getting bored now. Just need more power you know!... These new cars can get your spirits down, mine anyways... LS3 Vette's, C6Z's, the C6ZR1. All these cars just lick their chops when they see a C5, that hurts a man. An LS3 C6 gets a cam and 500 to the tires, crazy.. It's hard to compete with that in a bolt on H/C N/A LS6. (Driver obviously makes A difference)

My ultimate goal: Big cube 427/434/444, supercharged, cog drive nestled in my 2003 C5Z.. 800 RW horse (Really peak # not important as long as it is alot of power and and stays up there for a large portion of the powerband). Drivetrain obviously being a priority at this level..

Question #3
But in the meantime while I work out the motor build, I want to get the supercharger installed now and put it on the LS6. Im not planning on beating on it, but I do want to enjoy it, car needs to streach its legs now and then..And I'll also get use to driving a SC car while motor is being built. Is this a good idea or not, and why?

I was thinking nothing major on boost, but I did want cog pulleys..
Question # 4
If possible, I also want the ability to run standard boost levels on the stock LS6, but then the ability to crank up the boost on the built motor.
Any suggestions on what Vortech or Procharger head unit fits this profile? please chime in.
Your input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
JB
HCtotheMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:51 AM   #2
neutron82
CF Senior Member
 
neutron82's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2010
Location: DFW TX
Default

seeing that you're in dallas I'm going to recommend you get in touch with Bret (blownbluez06)... he can help you out with anything you need, give you a great tune, and he's local to boot
neutron82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 03:01 AM   #3
HCtotheMAX
Junior Member
 
HCtotheMAX's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2006
Location: Dallas Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutron82 View Post
seeing that you're in dallas I'm going to recommend you get in touch with Bret (blownbluez06)... he can help you out with anything you need, give you a great tune, and he's local to boot
Thanks man!
HCtotheMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:38 AM   #4
joshtownsend
CF Senior Member
 
joshtownsend's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2008
Location: Houston/Dayton Texas
Default

1.GD setups for the vetts that are out are junk..period.. I know first hand of coarse
2.You can make 800 on a p1sc1 and stock CI motor..and be reliable and be faster then any of the combos you stated
3. An over spun smaller head unit is twice as fast as an under spun bigger blower..

You need to really read..preferably on some of the outlaw/grudge racing sites on how blowers work and why. If you get 100% of your info here, you probably going to get a lot of BS and be just as slow and disappointing the rest of them here.
joshtownsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:42 AM   #5
b16gsr
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jul 2007
Location: LS MO
Default

i have a House of Boost/Procharger cog setup for sale on the cheap if you are interested.
b16gsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:46 AM   #6
HCtotheMAX
Junior Member
 
HCtotheMAX's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2006
Location: Dallas Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshtownsend View Post
1.GD setups for the vetts that are out are junk..period.. I know first hand of coarse
2.You can make 800 on a p1sc1 and stock CI motor..and be reliable and be faster then any of the combos you stated
3. An over spun smaller head unit is twice as fast as an under spun bigger blower..

You need to really read..preferably on some of the outlaw/grudge racing sites on how blowers work and why. If you get 100% of your info here, you probably going to get a lot of BS and be just as slow and disappointing the rest of them here.
Great advice and thanks for your input. I really appreciate it!
HCtotheMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:04 PM   #7
Pekka_Perkeles
CF Senior Member
 
Pekka_Perkeles's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2005
Location: Kauhava, Finland
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshtownsend View Post
1.GD setups for the vetts that are out are junk..period.. I know first hand of coarse
True. You failed.

(This is sometimes my Internet attitude but I hope this can be understood with a smile. In fact, I already apologize. Sorry Josh if this is too aggressive reply.)

Please Josh: do not generalize with GD. I know personally that it can be done - and it has be done. But not necessarily by just reading these forums..

For the OP: forget the GD. You won't need it. Go with 8 or 10 rib; ask from your supercharger vendor more info and you'll be fine.
Pekka_Perkeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:16 PM   #8
robert miller
CF Senior Member
 
robert miller's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2007
Location: cookeville tennessee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekka_Perkeles View Post
True. You failed.

(This is sometimes my Internet attitude but I hope this can be understood with a smile. In fact, I already apologize. Sorry Josh if this is too aggressive reply.)

Please Josh: do not generalize with GD. I know personally that it can be done - and it has be done. But not necessarily by just reading these forums..

For the OP: forget the GD. You won't need it. Go with 8 or 10 rib; ask from your supercharger vendor more info and you'll be fine.
Good 8 rib with a flip drive with everything set up correct will get ZERO slip on the unit. Robert
robert miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:20 PM   #9
breecher_7
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Feb 2009
Location: The Moon
Default

If 800whp is your goal you dont need a engine nearly that big.. Start looking at somthing from 364-408ci, they will easily make over 900whp with a conservative tune up. Look at head Units like the Vortech YSI, Paxton Novi 2200R with a 10 rib drive. It makes NO sense to go through the cog drive hassle at that power level. Plenty of guys running 10 rib over 1000hp with no issues.
breecher_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 01:24 PM   #10
HCtotheMAX
Junior Member
 
HCtotheMAX's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2006
Location: Dallas Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by breecher_7 View Post
If 800whp is your goal you dont need a engine nearly that big.. Start looking at somthing from 364-408ci, they will easily make over 900whp with a conservative tune up. Look at head Units like the Vortech YSI, Paxton Novi 2200R with a 10 rib drive. It makes NO sense to go through the cog drive hassle at that power level. Plenty of guys running 10 rib over 1000hp with no issues.
This is exactly the kind of feedback I was after. I really appreciate the reply. Thanks!

JB
HCtotheMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 01:26 PM   #11
HCtotheMAX
Junior Member
 
HCtotheMAX's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2006
Location: Dallas Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert miller View Post
Good 8 rib with a flip drive with everything set up correct will get ZERO slip on the unit. Robert
Thank you for the input, I appreciate the info.

I think you guys are slowly swaying me away from the Cog setup.

JB
HCtotheMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:38 PM   #12
robert miller
CF Senior Member
 
robert miller's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2007
Location: cookeville tennessee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by breecher_7 View Post
If 800whp is your goal you dont need a engine nearly that big.. Start looking at somthing from 364-408ci, they will easily make over 900whp with a conservative tune up. Look at head Units like the Vortech YSI, Paxton Novi 2200R with a 10 rib drive. It makes NO sense to go through the cog drive hassle at that power level. Plenty of guys running 10 rib over 1000hp with no issues.
8 rib here with over that in rwhp plus with ZERO belt slip. But do have flip drive set up on it. Befor the flip drive YES on the belt slip...

I also agree on the smaller C.I motor also if I had it to do over would have went smaller C.I. Robert

Last edited by robert miller; 07-24-2014 at 02:42 PM.
robert miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 03:22 PM   #13
breecher_7
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Feb 2009
Location: The Moon
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert miller View Post
8 rib here with over that in rwhp plus with ZERO belt slip. But do have flip drive set up on it. Befor the flip drive YES on the belt slip...

I also agree on the smaller C.I motor also if I had it to do over would have went smaller C.I. Robert
On what? I thought you were running a 10 Rib on a F1X?

Yeah a 8 rib with DD will be fine on a YSI/2200R with a 3" or larger pulley. Below that it slips from my experience.
breecher_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 03:22 PM
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous
Reload this Page Cog Drive pros vs. cons/ LS6 Blower question
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
.::House of Boost introduces the LSR Cog Drive System::. Jeremy@HOB C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous 25 07-21-2014 06:30 PM
Dallas Performance F2 ProCharger Bracket and 50mm COG Drive System - Who wants one? Taylor@DallasPerformance C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous 151 11-21-2013 07:38 AM
Dallas Performance F2 ProCharger Bracket and 50mm COG Drive System - Who wants one? Taylor@DallasPerformance C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous 23 02-27-2011 02:23 PM
F-2 ProCharger Bracket and 50mm COG Drive System by Dallas Performance Taylor@DallasPerformance C6 Z06 Discussion 0 02-21-2011 01:30 AM
sprag s/c cog pulley makn u shiver C4 Forced Induction/Nitrous 40 06-30-2008 03:49 PM



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Click for Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:20 AM.


Emails & Password Backup