C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuilding the Ghost, aka Great White

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 06:42 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackonblacksls
I think the car went low 9s at around 160mph with the old blower/nitrous setup.. That would probably be the easiest way to go fast in one of these cars if that's your goal..

The turbo was just so it would look cool in parking lots and make people ask questions/talk ****.. Lol
Is your car Danny's old car from Lethal?
Old 07-12-2016, 06:59 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

Received 176 Likes on 138 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by StealthFRC
how much boost are you on right now? still 18psi?
Yes, 18 psi is the "low" setting.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:04 PM
Blackonblacksls
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ajrothm
My bad, I assumed he meant it trapped 153... I've never ran past the traps so....

But he should roll out pretty good. I was at the track and saw him go 9.70@150 on a pass that had a lot of room for improvement and still had some timing to put in it. I wouldn't be surprised to see it go 155 in good air at least.
I did it in my old turbo mustang really bad one time..

Bounced off the limiter in 4th before I realized I needed to slam on my brakes..

That car had 26s with a 3.27 rear and a 6speed. I don't know what speed that was. But it made for a really scary turn at the very end.

You heading to the sams boat meet?
Old 07-12-2016, 07:07 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by ajrothm
...I wouldn't be surprised to see it go 155 in good air at least.
What do you want to see it run on 22 psi in good air?
Old 07-12-2016, 07:17 PM
StealthFRC
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo-Geist
Yes, 18 psi is the "low" setting.
very nice. my car is currently at my tuner getting turned up to 18psi, i couldn't imagine more lol. going to feel crazy since it was only on 13-14psi before.

Last edited by StealthFRC; 07-12-2016 at 07:18 PM.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:18 PM
Blackonblacksls
Drifting

All these big boost number scare me, I've convinced myself 9psi is all I need
Old 07-13-2016, 09:22 AM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

chaos
Old 07-18-2016, 07:00 AM
InfiniteReality
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

I have my subscription to this thread weekly, I can't lie I always look forward to Monday mornings to catch up on things.

Ben, we'll have to catch up soon. I'm finally off nights and slowly catching up on things around the house/shop.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:33 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by InfiniteReality
I have my subscription to this thread weekly, I can't lie I always look forward to Monday mornings to catch up on things.

Ben, we'll have to catch up soon. I'm finally off nights and slowly catching up on things around the house/shop.
Thanks, sorry I'm a little late on this one. I had to recover from the weekend and have been extra busy at work. Agree, we need to get together and talk about logistics for the trip.
Old 07-20-2016, 05:37 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Weekend Re-Cap

Thursday Night

I was having issues getting the car into gear at the track the previous weekend. The car would creep forward when going into 1st and move when the engine was rev'd. I suspected a master cylinder issue and had Tick Performance rush deliver their 7/8" bore MC. I changed it out Thursday night/Friday morning to be ready for the dyno. This seemed to have cured the clutch dragging and pedal engagement issues.

I also took care of the boost leak.
Old 07-20-2016, 05:43 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Friday Dyno Day
I went to the dyno on Friday in anticipation of going to half mile testing on Sunday. We made 12 pulls and each one was logged. It took a while to get the fueling just right. Everything seems to happen all at once in the 4800 to 5200 range and then things just take off from there. I turned the meth down some by setting the controller to not go 100% until 24 psi. This caused it to never flow 100% since boost was averaging at 18 psi. We were able to then dial in a respectable fuel curve without it going pig rich at the end of the pull. I have plans to go back and redo the VE table with the meth off and then tune for meth if needed. The results are 855/811. There was another pull that didn't have the double hump at the end, but I didn't get a picture of it.

I know there will be some people scratching their heads on the numbers. This is a mustang dyno from 2002 that is only used for tuning. Everyone that brings their car here is disappointed when they leave. Most cars that log this number on this dyno run mid to low 9s. As I've stated before in other threads, these are just numbers that don't amount to anything unless you are always using the same dyno and see a change. I logged the same airflow and injector duty cycle as was logged when the car trapped 151 mph in the fall at the dragstrip. I'm going to the track again on slicks this weekend. If the car doesn't trap 151 or better and run 9.50 or better on a clean pass then I'll check for issues.

I drove the car home in the rain and then began rounding up a trailer and straps for the next adventure.

Old 07-20-2016, 05:49 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Saturday and Sunday
I got a last minute invite to test at an airstrip in Arkansas. This is the same runway that the Ford GT went 280mph in the standing mile earlier this year. I was pumped. I loaded up the car and my Dad and I left town around 12:15pm. I wouldn’t have minded driving the car, but I’m still working out any bugs and need to charge the A/C so trailering seemed like the better option.

We got to the airstrip around 8:00am the next morning and unloaded. I made one pull in 4th gear to check fueling and it looked good. When I slowed down I heard something knocking up front. Couldn’t tell if it was a rod or rocker arm. I rev’d the engine and everything was smooth and oil pressure looked good. On the taxi-way, I discovered that one of the bolts had backed out on the 3-piece Fikse wheels and was hitting the passenger side front brake caliper. I was able to round up some tools, pull the front wheel and thread and re-torque the bolt.

We were now ready for a full pass. Traction was limited in 1st, 2nd , and 3rd, but 4th was decent and it only hazed the tires at peak torque. I went to hit 5th and it felt just like a normal shift until I released the clutch and hit the rev limiter. I was able to grab it and get it into gear but it wasted a lot of time and distance. I went through the half mile flags at 165mph. This would prove to be the fastest pass of the day for me. The car would not make a quick, clean shift to 5th at WOT. I think I coasted through the traps on one pass at 158 mph and there were a couple of others at 161 mph fighting with 5th and finally grabbing the gear right before the finish. On one pass I stayed in it briefly past the flags and hit 171mph. There was also a race against a 2012 CTS-V making about 860rw. He was on a 305/17 ET Street R and was able to put all of the power down. I was left trying to play catch-up but without 5th gear, it didn’t happen. All in all, the car made 10 passes in 90+ degree weather in less than 4 hours. Some of the passes were two back to back runs. It would have been nice to try and cool the car down more between runs and try other options to hit 5th gear but we were limited on time for the day. We loaded up and left the airfield at around 12:45 pm for the 10 hour drive back home.

Toward the end of the day, I figured out that the car also would not go into reverse at all. I was hoping it was a hydraulics issue, but when I went to pull the car off the trailer Monday morning, still no reverse. You can put it in gear, but as soon as the clutch is released it pops out of gear no matter how hard you press on the shifter handle. It looks like the transmission will be removed soon for repair.

Here's a picture near the end of the event. I had just finished racing the CTS-V and out of nowhere a patrol car pulls up and asks us if we have permission to be on the property. After a few minutes we got everything straightened out. I’ll try to post more media as it becomes available.

Last edited by Turbo-Geist; 07-20-2016 at 05:50 PM.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:01 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Short list of things to do before hitting the track this weekend:

1. Fresh spark plugs
2. Oil change
3. Bleed and adjust clutch system one last time
4. Double-check all critical systems and make a pull on the street to verify all systems are go.
5. Drive to track and find out if I have an 850hp car that runs low 9s.

I'll be going to the drags without reverse most likely. The 1st through 4th gear shifts are way quicker with the Tick master cylinder. After drag racing this coming weekend, I'll be pulling the trans to figure out what's wrong.

The downtime will be used to install an oil cooler, charge the a/c, repair the transmission, and get ready for cruising.

Last edited by Turbo-Geist; 07-20-2016 at 06:01 PM.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:52 AM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Sounds like a busy week!

Curious, have you removed center console to gain access to your shifter? Maybe the shift linkage is off...cause as you know if it's off 1-2mm, it'll be like an inch off(not exactly) by the time it reaches the trans. So just for the hell of it, maybe take note of the guide pin location on the shifter base, flash a light in and see if the hole is off, if it is, insert a pin that size(drill bits work), then loosen the linkage rod, should be a t45 torx....after making sure the drill bit/guide pin is in place, tighten back down the T45.

Or,..maybe the reverse lock out is plugged in wrong. The car has two sensors/plugs that are identical,...and I have made the mistake myself of having them plugged in wrong on my own car. Happy hunting dude, hope it's an easy fix.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:26 AM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts

you can replace the reverse lockout solenoid with the trannsmission in the car if you're crafty too, I've had one go bad before and symptom was not exactly what you described but my car certainly shifts better and goes into reverse MUCH better now with a new one. wasn't expensive or that hard to do.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:34 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Thanks for some ideas.

The car made multiple passes at the track in the fall and was driven about 1000 miles before pulling the engine. The torque tube trans and everything stayed in the car and were not touched during the rebuild.

Since then, it has been driven on the street for tuning, driven to the track, made (6) 1/4 mile passes and 12 dyno pulls. There have been zero issues going into reverse until at the half mile this weekend after it would go into 5th at wide open throttle. It will go into 5th during normal driving and easily goes into all of the other gears.

Reverse troubleshooting so far:

Key Off/Engine Off - Goes into all gears but will not go into reverse because the lockout solenoid needs power to be able to depress the spring/solenoid.

Key On/ Engine Off - Goes into all gears and reverse. You can feel the lockout solenoid is working properly and being depressed to allow shifter to go to reverse.

Key On/ Engine On - Depress clutch and shifter clicks into reverse. Release clutch and shifter pops out of reverse and car doesn't move. No matter how hard you press on the handle it pops out of gear and will make a grinding noise if you try to hold it there. It never fully engages.

I think I've ruled out a lock-out solenoid issue.

I think something is going on internally. I have the MGW shifter and used their alignment tool to align everything. None of the other gears have issues and I can shift them as fast as possible. It will stay in gears 1-5 at full power.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:48 PM
Blackonblacksls
Drifting

Any luck at the quick 30??

I keep seeing pictures of the event. Wish they would post more results though. Such a cool event to be at I'm sure.

Get notified of new replies

To Rebuilding the Ghost, aka Great White

Old 07-26-2016, 09:43 AM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Saw some videos of it up against the RC car haha. Car sounds good.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:27 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Blackonblacksls
Any luck at the quick 30??

I keep seeing pictures of the event. Wish they would post more results though. Such a cool event to be at I'm sure.
Do you have a facebook account? High Tech Corvette's FB page was live streaming the event and you can still go watch the videos. They got video of the finish line clocks for many of the passes.

It was a really cool event with all types of fast cars. Supras, Vipers, Corvettes, Mustangs, Lamborghinis, Porsches, etc. I was impressed and the event was well attended. Highly recommend making one.

I'm still sorting through some issues with the car. The boost curve was very lazy and it didn't hit the target boost till 6000rpm. When I got home I found there was a large CO2 leak. The controller is programmed to add 10 psi to the top of the gates and it was barely adding 3 psi. Also, the methanol injection isn't spraying enough volume on the IAT sensor so temps hit 150 degrees and it pulled 4 degrees of timing. This then causes the A/F to hit 10.0:1 and richer.

The best pass was 10.10 @ 144mph. I guess that's not too bad considering low timing, lazy boost, and too rich. The car felt like it was missing ~200HP.

The car also went into REP mode on one pass. This would have been a great launch. Check it out - 13mph, 6600 rpm and 15psi. The clutch was just about to fully lock and then the computer shut everything down.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:31 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Here's a pic from Saturday night at Quick 30 on the drag tires and wheels.

Quick Reply: Rebuilding the Ghost, aka Great White