C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

McLeod Street Twin users, please step in.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 07:32 PM
Boosted355
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default McLeod Street Twin users, please step in.

I've gone through six weeks of hell trying to source parts for my ride and ended up with a McLeod Street Twin. It hasn't been installed yet, but I'm starting to get stressed and I'm questioning the purchase.

I've been looking around on different forums and I'm seeing posts saying that the Street Twin requires an adjustable master cylinder, is this true? If so, I'm just going to unload this thing. I really don't want or need the extra headache and expense.

I've also been reading that it locks up so hard that can break driveline parts, something else I don't need.

How about pedal feel? I've seen everything from a little stiffer than stock to a real heavy pedal.

Are there any other issues that anyone can think of?

I'm coming from an ACT dual disc that was in the car when I bought it. So I don't know how it compares to stock, but I do realize that it's definitely a little on the stiff side.

Before you ask the inevitable question here's how I ended up with the Street Twin. My car is torn apart on a lift in a shop to replace a bad slave cylinder. Well it turns out that the brake fluid contaminated the clutch. So this put me in a rush to get a clutch and when the RXT was out of stock from the vendor I contacted, they went above and beyond and hooked me up with the Street Twin. But I'm not quite sure that this was a wise decision on my part.

The car currently puts down 560 with a 3.8 pulley. The car will be soon be sporting a 3.4 pulley and meth kit that I've already purchased and hopefully a cam in the future.

Should I source the RXT and pedal this? Rob the flywheel out of this kit for an RXT and save he clutch for possible future use?

The ACT weighs in at 43 lbs. and the McLeod is a solid 10 lbs. heavier. What will this do to my torque level?

Now hopefully a few of you will make it down this far and offer up your opinions.

Thanks for your time, Jim (stressed out) Burns
Old 09-13-2014, 07:49 PM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

The RXT and RST both don't necessarily need an adjustable master although it is advisable.
The RST is not the clutch i'd recommend for your hp level. The RXT drives wonderfully both on the street and at the track.

Take your time. Do it right the first time.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:55 PM
JoeyG
Safety Car

Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Stock master and slave on an RXT making 830rwhp/905rwtq no issues with clutch setup. I broke my trans at the track after 8 yrs of beating the hell outta it though.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:21 AM
69ls6
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The street twin is a stiffer pedal..I would call monster and get the twin disc..great ppl at monster
The following users liked this post:
RedBird2.0 (05-08-2023)
Old 09-14-2014, 12:52 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

rst with z06 slave and master makes 668rwhp. Little stiffer then stock drives great small amount of chatter and I mean a small amount
Old 09-15-2014, 08:02 PM
lsxvette
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

rsx and love it so far
Old 09-15-2014, 08:32 PM
YBNORMEL
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally had the Street twin which I glazed over getting too hot. I then had an RXT put in.
The Street twin is a lot heavier feel and grabbier then the RXT.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:06 PM
96TTdodge
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks like there are several people commenting on the wrong clutch.
OP- Have you called Mcleod to discuss? I was torn on my decision and ended up having them sell me a custom clutch setup. Same materials as the rxt but i went with a slightly larger disk area. There are a ton of options. Im personally a Mcleod fan and my rxt always treated me right. I think youll be fine with the clutch, but its hard tomsay without knowinn your power level, car use etc...
good luck!
Old 09-16-2014, 10:53 PM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 897 Likes on 403 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '08

I've run the rxt in my 500+ RWHP C6 for the lst few years, and the street twin in my 800+ RWHP C5 for the last 8+ years.

I really like both for what they are. I recently spoke with Mcleod, and they thought the RXT might work in the C5, but I'm actually ok leaving in what has been working GREAT! The street twin needs the adjustable, and the RXT does not, and in fact they don't want you to use one.

If you don't plan on going much over 750, I'd stick with the RXT, if you're looking to ultimately make BIG power, they maybe stick with the twin.

I have a VERY good relationship with Mcleod, let me know if I can answer any more specific questions for you...
Old 09-17-2014, 05:09 AM
Y2KRoadster
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

The RXT is a beast. There are plenty of guys that are over 900whp and driving the **** out of their rides with the RXT holding it all day. That and add in a stock pedal feel...my vote is the RXT...
Old 09-17-2014, 08:16 AM
slow ride
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

No drag passes in my RXT yet, but it drives excellent for what it is. The pedal is softer than the stock clutch in my Audi S4.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:03 AM
PEETYZ
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

With your current power up to 800 or so rwhp I don't think you will have any issues with the RXT. If you track the car like Ricky with over 900rwhp you will need something bigger.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:23 AM
CTD
Melting Slicks

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm just over 500 rwt & 600 rwh. I struggled with the RXT & RST question as well. I was coming from a twin carbon RPS street lite twin, this clutch work very well, very quick shifts & would modulate nicely. The very light weight & heavy pedal made it difficult for someone else to drive, I was having some tuning issue's as well regarding the weight. In between these two I tried a Monster C7 twin conversion, that did not make the team.

So I've just recently installed the RST & it works as advertised, very nice thank you McLeod. My determining factor was the abuse level, I don't plan to beat on it. I intentionally shopped for a heavier clutch flywheel package.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:28 AM
slow ride
Drifting

What was the issue with the c7 deal, what disks were in it? Yes the max cool holding power and sustainable drag strip duty are two different things for sure.

Last edited by slow ride; 09-17-2014 at 09:32 AM.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:10 AM
CTD
Melting Slicks

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Stock disc's, there recommendation based on my driving style.

I should also mention I had the McLeod combination balanced by others, they first did the flywheel & clocked the clutch to best balance. It is near perfect.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:51 AM
Boosted355
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry I haven't been back on here until now. I really appreciate all of the input. I was able to locate an RXT on Monday, so I decided to go with it. After the fact I duf through the paperwork that I got with the car when I purchased it and it turns out that it already has an adjustable master cylinder.

jbsblownc5, is there a good reason why McLeod doesn't want one to be used? I really don't see me having it changed out unfortunately.

Do I need to worry about shimming out the slave cylinder? I guess my ACT had a shim behind the slave. I'm assuming it's a case by case scenario, but I'm curious as to what you guys have encountered.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:04 AM
0SNL/MonsterClutchCo
Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Sorry for the short thread hijack here...

Originally Posted by CTD
I'm just over 500 rwt & 600 rwh. I struggled with the RXT & RST question as well. I was coming from a twin carbon RPS street lite twin, this clutch work very well, very quick shifts & would modulate nicely. The very light weight & heavy pedal made it difficult for someone else to drive, I was having some tuning issue's as well regarding the weight. In between these two I tried a Monster C7 twin conversion, that did not make the team.

So I've just recently installed the RST & it works as advertised, very nice thank you McLeod. My determining factor was the abuse level, I don't plan to beat on it. I intentionally shopped for a heavier clutch flywheel package.
There were numerous issues with your Monster, the lack of holding capability came from the installation. The hardware issue was on us, the balance of that unit was spot on when it left and was well off when we get it back from you. Despite all of this, and the fact that the machine shop who balanced your unit absolutely ruined it, we still refunded your money. I outlined all of this in detail in the email sent to you. Having seen you post these comments like this since this all occurred, I want to make sure the air is clear here. There wasn't a defect in the clutch that kept it from holding your less than rated 500 rwhp.

Originally Posted by slow ride
What was the issue with the c7 deal, what disks were in it? Yes the max cool holding power and sustainable drag strip duty are two different things for sure.
See above.

We've got hundreds of these things out there holding much more than this, as a matter of fact our LT1-R has gone a 8.5 @ over 160 mph in a Fbody.

Originally Posted by CTD
Stock disc's, there recommendation based on my driving style.

I should also mention I had the McLeod combination balanced by others, they first did the flywheel & clocked the clutch to best balance. It is near perfect.
See above. We've had the LT1-S units hold well over what you made.

Get notified of new replies

To McLeod Street Twin users, please step in.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:26 PM
slow ride
Drifting

Well that's good and all, but is it listed on the website yet? I probably would have tried one over the RXT but it didn't exist back then. I really like the fact it has SAC adjustment and a pedal stop. I think the level 2 lt1 (disks with rxt type friction) would be perfect for most of us.

Not really a lot of use balancing them separate since that makes you adjust the weight on the pressure plate and most shops don't want you welding on the plate. You can do it a little with weights if you have them, but I find doing them together on a machine shop crankshaft balancer is easy. Then I just remove the weight from the flywheel to zero everything out.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:37 PM
0SNL/MonsterClutchCo
Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by slow ride
Well that's good and all, but is it listed on the website yet? I probably would have tried one over the RXT but it didn't exist back then. I really like the fact it has SAC adjustment and a pedal stop. I think the level 2 lt1 (disks with rxt type friction) would be perfect for most of us.
Not yet, we're in the process of getting the new site up and running, that said these have been out since last year.

The SAC setup and pedal stop are huge bonuses indeed! The LT1-S is perfect for most, it supports 700 rwhp, the SC that uses ceramic is overkill for a lot of the guys as it's rated to 1000 rwhp. I apologize that we do not have them on the site yet, it's been insane but we're on it.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:23 PM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 897 Likes on 403 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Boosted355
Sorry I haven't been back on here until now. I really appreciate all of the input. I was able to locate an RXT on Monday, so I decided to go with it. After the fact I duf through the paperwork that I got with the car when I purchased it and it turns out that it already has an adjustable master cylinder.

jbsblownc5, is there a good reason why McLeod doesn't want one to be used? I really don't see me having it changed out unfortunately.

Do I need to worry about shimming out the slave cylinder? I guess my ACT had a shim behind the slave. I'm assuming it's a case by case scenario, but I'm curious as to what you guys have encountered.
I actually had an adjustable in at first on mine, since the previous street twin needed it. I then pulled it it after a while, I guess Mcloed said it has something to do with the throw...

Quick Reply: McLeod Street Twin users, please step in.