C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of A&A Supercharger kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 01:10 PM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

Default Thinking of A&A Supercharger kit

OK, I am getting close to wanting to get BLOWN!

I like a roots type kit, but the only one that seems to be available for the C5 is the Eldlebrock kit with an adapter from Ligenfelter. So it looks like a centrifical is more economical way to go. A&A seems to be the way to go.

Couple of questions for those with the A&A kit.

1. How much torque are you losing below say 3,000 RPM with the Centri setup? How noticable is it verses stock?

2. My Z06 motor is all stock internals. I do have Corsa exhaust with Corsa X-pipe. Also have a Vararam CAI, but know the A&A kit will replace this CAI.

3. With all stock internals and a 10.5 compression ratio on the LS6, assuming safe boost is going to be no more than 6 lbs. boost. What other mods do I need?
A. Fuel Mods (injectors, etc).
B. Timing chain
C. Oil Pump
D. Other

4. Assume with 5-6 lbs of boost, should be at around 525 RWHP and around 480-500 ft lbs of torque. Sound about right?

5. Other things I might know.

6. Trying to keep this around $ 8,500.00 installed and tuned. Can get the SC installed without any extras (besides tune) for about $7, 500.00 in my area.

Thanks for the info

Last edited by bikeriderga; 09-14-2014 at 01:14 PM.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:59 AM
2quick98
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 48 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Depending on the power u want u really don't need anything else with that kit to get around 550 rwhp
Old 09-15-2014, 09:18 AM
PEETYZ
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

1. I don't think you will loose much if any TQ under 3k (someone who dynoed cam only then with blower added would know for sure)

2. You can sell the Vararam for some cash back.

3. Stock internals, oil pump, etc are fine. I am 10Lbs on stock bottom with no issues. The only thing you may want to consider if you push more boost is changing your valve springs to control potential float but I doubt you have any issues with 550rwhp or less. Kit will come with 60lb injectors and BAP or LPE pump. Either will support 550 or so. I would suggest the racetronix harness in addition either way:

97-early 2003 http://www.racetronix.biz/itemdesc.a...%2D007&eq=&Tp=

Late 2003-2010 http://www.racetronix.biz/itemdesc.a...%2D008&eq=&Tp=

4. 480-550rwhp/440-490rwtq estimate

5.Headers would be nice but not needed.

6.Not sure your area but some shops may be able to hook you up local. Id check with A&A for authorized seller/installer in your area.

Enjoy!

Last edited by PEETYZ; 09-15-2014 at 09:21 AM.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:46 AM
jmxp69
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Might want to think about FP/AFR/Boost gauges. I'm sure many don't use them, but I like to see what's going on there, especially in boost.

I hardened my top end with chromoloy pushrods, dual valve springs, and trunion upgrades, but I'm spinning it to 6.7k and running 10psi.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:06 PM
PEETYZ
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by jmxp69
Might want to think about FP/AFR/Boost gauges. I'm sure many don't use them, but I like to see what's going on there, especially in boost.

I hardened my top end with chromoloy pushrods, dual valve springs, and trunion upgrades, but I'm spinning it to 6.7k and running 10psi.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:47 PM
CamminC5
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18

Should be no issue to meet your goals.

If you think you'll ever want more power go ahead and step into the T-Trim blower. It'll save you some $$ in the long run.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:06 AM
ggroller
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by PEETYZ
1. I don't think you will loose much if any TQ under 3k (someone who dynoed cam only then with blower added would know for sure)
I have dyno sheets of my car before and after the blower. I'll pull them when I get home tonight.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:43 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by sami85L98
dont even bother about gauges, i did few months ago, cant even see when i am in boost, literally you will save a grand in that area and go straight to ECS kit, mine is AA nothing wrong with it but too civil, i pullied down to 3.2" and swap the smaller Cam 219/227 ( had bigger before) , boost comes on quiker but i still want it quicker.....Seriously go straight with ECS kit for another few hundred extra bucks.

Call ECS and talk to them, all your 1-6 questions will be answered accordingly.......GL.
^^^ confusing. If you don't want civil, why not get the A&A kit with YSi upgrade, a 2.50" pulley and forget about civil? You realize our buddy Arun ran his best time with the A&A kit on it right?
ECS guys are good people and all, but I don't follow.

OP, "safe boost" is quite the arguable term. "safe" for some is 6psi and others 12 and for the sake of argument, I've seen people go for years on stock internals at 18+psi boost without lowering compression or anything and then I've seen people break their motors with 8psi boost. So many factors involved in this game. Get the right parts and get the right people tuning the car so that you've eliminated much of the "mojo" against you.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:38 AM
donald4972
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by bikeriderga
OK, I am getting close to wanting to get BLOWN!

I like a roots type kit, but the only one that seems to be available for the C5 is the Eldlebrock kit with an adapter from Ligenfelter. So it looks like a centrifical is more economical way to go. A&A seems to be the way to go.

Couple of questions for those with the A&A kit.

1. How much torque are you losing below say 3,000 RPM with the Centri setup? How noticable is it verses stock?

2. My Z06 motor is all stock internals. I do have Corsa exhaust with Corsa X-pipe. Also have a Vararam CAI, but know the A&A kit will replace this CAI.

3. With all stock internals and a 10.5 compression ratio on the LS6, assuming safe boost is going to be no more than 6 lbs. boost. What other mods do I need?
A. Fuel Mods (injectors, etc).
B. Timing chain
C. Oil Pump
D. Other

4. Assume with 5-6 lbs of boost, should be at around 525 RWHP and around 480-500 ft lbs of torque. Sound about right?

5. Other things I might know.

6. Trying to keep this around $ 8,500.00 installed and tuned. Can get the SC installed without any extras (besides tune) for about $7, 500.00 in my area.

Thanks for the info
OP,
I have the A&A SC, installed by A&A, and tuned by Andy.

I asked for a mild tune, and Andy told me I can 'up' the power anytime I want. I find over 500 RWHP, to be quite enough for me. My engine is all stock.
It is my daily driver, and it is awesome.

You should just call Andy (or Josh) at A&A. Ask them your questions, then ask them for an approved dealer/installer near you.
As many will tell you, a lot of it, is 'in the tune'. You need someone who knows exactly what they are doing, and what you want your car to do.
There is another thread, where some guy had someone install and tune his SuperCharger. The installer blew up his motor on the dyno, before he ever got to drive it.

Best of luck whatever you decide,
Don

Last edited by donald4972; 09-18-2014 at 12:39 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-18-2014, 01:29 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

IMO, what kills these motors is detonation. Some have it even stock. Tell your tuner to look for any knock retard (KR) and do what it takes to totally eliminate it. I'm running 11:1 CR on a stock shortblock, and 8Lbs on a stock 3.8" pulley. I also had to add a BAP to safely keep fuel pressure at high RPMs.
Old 09-19-2014, 04:57 PM
mmartinez
Melting Slicks

Received 508 Likes on 425 Posts

Depending on what you want to do with the car after supercharging you might want to look into upgrading your clutch or auto to handle the added power. My 2 cents.

Get notified of new replies

To Thinking of A&A Supercharger kit

Quick Reply: Thinking of A&A Supercharger kit