C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My build. Opinions and pointers appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 10:46 PM
Luke_Z06
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My build. Opinions and pointers appreciated

Hey guys, I have a 2004 z06 with a procharger p1sc-1, long tubes, exhaust, 36 lb injectors. Stock intake, stock heads as far as I now, possibly ported and supposedly a mild blower cam. Dyno sheet shows 606 whp currently but I haven't confirmed, previous owner did it.

I just purchased from Brian Tooley Racing the following:
Canadian Corvette Performance "Jam Cam"
BTR titanium spring kit, 7.4 pushrods, rocker arm trunion kit
LS9 head gaskets, LS7 lifters,
ARP head bolts

I am also going to order the 10 lb pully to up the boost from 6 lbs.

I am wanting to convert to E85 as well and I have been told to use 80-100 lb injectors. I've seen a few, none say they are rated for E85. I just need to know what fuel pump to use as well.

If I ran the car on 93 though, would I need to up the injectors and fuel pump still? obviously it wouldn't need 80-100lb but I don't know if the current 36 lb injectors could hang.

Also, should I upgrade to the fast fuel rails for better flow?

I'm not gonna drag the car as the trans/rear diff are stock and I don't wanna break anything, just a street car. I'll upgrade to some drag radials, maybe the nitto 555's but I don't think I'll hook great on the street anyway so hopefully it won't break if I'm careful.

Any opinions or pointers would be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-15-2014, 10:00 AM
Blow Torch
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Not sure how those 36lb injectors are handling 606(assume rwhp, which is pretty good for 6lbs boost). I ran 60lb injectors with LP fuel pump, wiring harness, BAP and Meth with 702rwhp. (I was around 78% at 6200rpm)
With the JC (pretty good size cam) and 4 more lbs boost, you will be a least in the upper 6xx's, so you will need at least 60lb injectors and a stronger fuel delivery system.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:06 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by Blow Torch
Not sure how those 36lb injectors are handling 606(assume rwhp, which is pretty good for 6lbs boost). I ran 60lb injectors with LP fuel pump, wiring harness, BAP and Meth with 702rwhp. (I was around 78% at 6200rpm)
With the JC (pretty good size cam) and 4 more lbs boost, you will be a least in the upper 6xx's, so you will need at least 60lb injectors and a stronger fuel delivery system.
you will wear those 36 inj out if you do much WOT. has to be working at way over 100% duty cycle.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:04 AM
PEETYZ
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

What size is your blower pulley? I'm on a similar setup (in sig) on 10psi with a 3.85 pulley at 606rwhp/531rwtq. You sure you only have 36lb injectors? I You using stock Pump with BAP?

E85 requires about 30% more fuel system.

IMO for E85 you will atleast need 80-100lb injectors, another fuel pump either in tank or inline, FP regulator at the rail, and a return line.

I am going over a few fuel system ideas myself to up the power on mine and that is what I have basically come up with. I'm sure others will chime in and add on.

Last edited by PEETYZ; 09-15-2014 at 11:09 AM.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:52 PM
Luke_Z06
8th Gear

Originally Posted by PEETYZ
What size is your blower pulley? I'm on a similar setup (in sig) on 10psi with a 3.85 pulley at 606rwhp/531rwtq. You sure you only have 36lb injectors? I You using stock Pump with BAP?

E85 requires about 30% more fuel system.

IMO for E85 you will atleast need 80-100lb injectors, another fuel pump either in tank or inline, FP regulator at the rail, and a return line.

I am going over a few fuel system ideas myself to up the power on mine and that is what I have basically come up with. I'm sure others will chime in and add on.
As far as I know its just the 36 lbs that came with the p1sc-1 kit and I'm not sure if the in-tank pump is stock or not, don't see a BAP. I have the 4.25 pulley, which is the stock 6 lb.

Do you have any suggestions for a pump or injectors? If its big enough pump would I really need a KB BAP? And would the tune not regulate the fuel flow? I don't have any experience with E85, obviously, but I thought it was pretty straightforward. What about needing to upgrade the fuel rails, to say the FAST rail?

Thanks a lot for the input guys I really appreciate it, just trying to not get in over my head!
Old 09-18-2014, 09:25 AM
PEETYZ
Melting Slicks

Luke

It really depends how far you want to push it for a fuel system set up. I kinda doubt it is currently at 600 wheel with 6lbs on a P1SC with 36lb injectors but guess its possible.

Up to say 700 rwhp max I would atleast recommend:

80lb-100lb injectors (60 will likely work fine but less room to grow)

LPE/ Racetronix pump

Racetronix harness

BAP

Beyond 700rwhp you will really want to consider an even larger fuel system with a return line and Fuel pressure regulator at the rail. (FP regulator and return line is a good idea for the above fuel system as well) Most will run this style with an additional inline pump that activates with a pressure (hobbs) switch. You can run the stock pump with a larger inline pump here as well for certain power levels.

I'll let some others who know more than myself add further. There are lots of fuel system options.

Last edited by PEETYZ; 09-18-2014 at 12:06 PM.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:27 AM
redcycle13
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Use ARP Head Studs instead of head bolts. If your anything like me the heads may come off a few times for different combos. I would also get fuel injectors for your dream power level. I've had to go up on injectors 4 times ( 42lb/ 60lb/ 85lb/ ID1000). Just do it once and be done.

Last edited by redcycle13; 09-18-2014 at 10:30 AM.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:50 AM
PEETYZ
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by redcycle13
Use ARP Head Studs instead of head bolts. If your anything like me the heads may come off a few times for different combos. I would also get fuel injectors for your dream power level. I've had to go up on injectors 4 times ( 42lb/ 60lb/ 85lb/ ID1000). Just do it once and be done.

Definitely doing the head studs next and Bosch 1000cc seem to be best bang for the buck.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:00 PM
2bridges
Racer

Originally Posted by Luke_Z06
Hey guys, I have a 2004 z06 with a procharger p1sc-1, long tubes, exhaust, 36 lb injectors. Stock intake, stock heads as far as I now, possibly ported and supposedly a mild blower cam. Dyno sheet shows 606 whp currently but I haven't confirmed, previous owner did it.

I just purchased from Brian Tooley Racing the following:
Canadian Corvette Performance "Jam Cam"
BTR titanium spring kit, 7.4 pushrods, rocker arm trunion kit
LS9 head gaskets, LS7 lifters,
ARP head bolts

I am also going to order the 10 lb pully to up the boost from 6 lbs.

I am wanting to convert to E85 as well and I have been told to use 80-100 lb injectors. I've seen a few, none say they are rated for E85. I just need to know what fuel pump to use as well.

If I ran the car on 93 though, would I need to up the injectors and fuel pump still? obviously it wouldn't need 80-100lb but I don't know if the current 36 lb injectors could hang.

Also, should I upgrade to the fast fuel rails for better flow?

I'm not gonna drag the car as the trans/rear diff are stock and I don't wanna break anything, just a street car. I'll upgrade to some drag radials, maybe the nitto 555's but I don't think I'll hook great on the street anyway so hopefully it won't break if I'm careful.

Any opinions or pointers would be greatly appreciated!
I have an extremely similar setup (same blower, ARH LT headers, no cats, corsa pace catback) running 10psi with meth injection. Note I am running stock cam.

Your "advertised 606whp on 6psi" is very optimistic. Highly recommend getting a quick baseline dyno where it will be tuned before making your changes.

Also you must be mistaken or have been given bad info about injector size - I would physically verify what you have. I believe the procharger kit comes with a 42lb injector.

In my setup/experience on pump gas you can just barely get away with 10psi boost with 60lb injectors and BAP on factory pump (NOT E85). With a cam upgrade also in the mix you are forced into a fuel system upgrade.

To run E85 you will need to size for 30%-35% additional fuel volume

My 01 makes 640rwhp dynojet (550rwhp mustang) at 10PSI and single nozzle alky control meth injection. My IATs are right at ambient temps at 10 psi.

Good luck and report back your results. I will be interested to see how the cam works out for you.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:18 PM
Luke_Z06
8th Gear

Originally Posted by PEETYZ
Luke

It really depends how far you want to push it for a fuel system set up. I kinda doubt it is currently at 600 wheel with 6lbs on a P1SC with 36lb injectors but guess its possible.

Up to say 700 rwhp max I would atleast recommend:

80lb-100lb injectors (60 will likely work fine but less room to grow)

LPE/ Racetronix pump

Racetronix harness

BAP

Beyond 700rwhp you will really want to consider an even larger fuel system with a return line and Fuel pressure regulator at the rail. (FP regulator and return line is a good idea for the above fuel system as well) Most will run this style with an additional inline pump that activates with a pressure (hobbs) switch. You can run the stock pump with a larger inline pump here as well for certain power levels.

I'll let some others who know more than myself add further. There are lots of fuel system options.
Thanks for the input!

The injectors may be bigger than that, 42 lbs is what peetyz says comes with the kit but I just don't know. The current tune seems to be perfect as it runs really well and pulls hard throughout the entire RPM range. Supposedly has a mild blower cam and maybe ported heads but the dyno sheet does say 606 but again I don't know for a fact. Does have full exhaust though.

If I set my goal rwhp to say MAX 750, is there a certain LP fuel pump you would recommend? I'll go ahead and get the 1000 cc injectors to be safe. Also, is the KB BAP the best one to go with? Also, would the stock fuel rails be ok? And what does the racetronix wire harness do exactly? Sorry I'm just a fuel newb. Last thing, I should probably remove/gut the cats, right? I've heard about back pressure blowing up motors in certain situations. I just haven't done it yet because I have to pass emissions.

Thanks you for your input kind sir
Old 09-20-2014, 12:28 PM
Luke_Z06
8th Gear

Originally Posted by 2bridges
I have an extremely similar setup (same blower, ARH LT headers, no cats, corsa pace catback) running 10psi with meth injection. Note I am running stock cam.

Your "advertised 606whp on 6psi" is very optimistic. Highly recommend getting a quick baseline dyno where it will be tuned before making your changes.

Also you must be mistaken or have been given bad info about injector size - I would physically verify what you have. I believe the procharger kit comes with a 42lb injector.

In my setup/experience on pump gas you can just barely get away with 10psi boost with 60lb injectors and BAP on factory pump (NOT E85). With a cam upgrade also in the mix you are forced into a fuel system upgrade.

To run E85 you will need to size for 30%-35% additional fuel volume

My 01 makes 640rwhp dynojet (550rwhp mustang) at 10PSI and single nozzle alky control meth injection. My IATs are right at ambient temps at 10 psi.

Good luck and report back your results. I will be interested to see how the cam works out for you.
Thanks for the advice!

It very well may be 42 lbs, I don't know. I'll definitely be upgrading the fuel system, I just can't figure out exactly what I'll need. I will definitely just go ahead and get 100 lb injectors to be safe. I just see a lot of different opinions on pumps, regulators, BAPs, switches, etc. But from all the research I gather to run E85 I just need to have enough pump and injectors to handle it, not really any other components to change in regard to running high ethanol content to avoid corrosion or wear?

It definitely seems like the current tune is spot on, has a lot of street manners and my LS head friends are blown away by how mild it appears but then runs like a raped ape when you get into it. But I've asked people who have seen and driven my car if I should get another tune and they say just to do the upgrades and then get it tuned... but I don't know

I live in north TN and I talked to James Short from Shortuning (apparently a tuning genius, tuned Eric Lancaster's ZR1). I just need to have everything ready I guess.

Basically, I gotta figure my fuel out lol
Old 09-20-2014, 04:24 PM
idontknow
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

go and get holley fuel rails
ragin racin twin pump set up
boost reference reg,
1000cc injectors or some 80lbs simens deca (400 bucks) and you will be fine

that is the fuel system i have and i am at 750 and still going on e85. it gets expensive when you replace the fuel system. so my advice is do it right and don't cheap out on anything. mine is good till 1000hp and i will never make that much.

p.s.- i will be down in nashiville for street car take over is you would like to take a look at my set up

Get notified of new replies

To My build. Opinions and pointers appreciated

Quick Reply: My build. Opinions and pointers appreciated