C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

8 spd auto

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 06:39 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Default 8 spd auto

looks like the new 8 spd will be hitting a junkyard near me soon.

I've been contemplating tranny swapping in a variety of project cars;

c5 ttix 800 hp currently RPM 4L65E lvl 5

c3 corvette restomod (*BB 496 chevy or tt 4.8 LS motor)

as I understand it the new 8 speed has gone back to an external controller which is good

it's strong and has advanced shifting capabilities

anyone know if this tranny will be a candidate for swaps??

seems like it has all I need, is relatively compact, and strong

all to the good. now the electronics and control (programming ect..) seems to be a scarey place with these new trannies

like to get a ride in a new 8 spd and see if anyone is up to speed on what it will take to swap these into an older vehicle

I understand they will have a "vette version" and a "truck version" as the bell housing in integrated into the tranny case

this might be years out, but I'm scheming it out now!!
Old 09-18-2014, 07:15 AM
blown81bu
Safety Car

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

that would be killer if we could do the swap
Old 09-18-2014, 12:22 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by Rkreigh
looks like the new 8 spd will be hitting a junkyard near me soon.

I've been contemplating tranny swapping in a variety of project cars;

c5 ttix 800 hp currently RPM 4L65E lvl 5

c3 corvette restomod (*BB 496 chevy or tt 4.8 LS motor)

as I understand it the new 8 speed has gone back to an external controller which is good

it's strong and has advanced shifting capabilities

anyone know if this tranny will be a candidate for swaps??

seems like it has all I need, is relatively compact, and strong

all to the good. now the electronics and control (programming ect..) seems to be a scarey place with these new trannies

like to get a ride in a new 8 spd and see if anyone is up to speed on what it will take to swap these into an older vehicle

I understand they will have a "vette version" and a "truck version" as the bell housing in integrated into the tranny case

this might be years out, but I'm scheming it out now!!
Not to say it will not be done, But from looking at one from under the car will have to chg out every little piece. The TT, driveshaft, then a plate to marry up the trans to the rear. But then again other than cutting down the TT no diff than going to the Level VII RPM trans in the c5. Other than also what you have said the elec/control and the programming on it.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:53 PM
redcycle13
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm sure anything can be done with the appropriate amount of money, but I'd bet it wont be financially responsible to complete this conversion. I could be wrong though considering the 7 speed has already been swapped.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:25 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

close to zero is what I would say is financially responsible about this car

it's about the best of the best and making it better
Old 09-19-2014, 08:38 AM
redcycle13
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

What I meant was I don't think it would be an improvement, and would cost a fortune.

The way I understand it the 8 speed is fully integrated into the new corvette, which makes it work very well on the road course in that car. I don't think you could integrate it with a C5 and get the same results. I'm sure it could be made to move the car with 8 speeds, but not shift the same way it does in the C7 because it would have no way of gathering all the telemetry data the C7 can provide its controller.

If it does work, and makes your corvette better, then I would love to hear about your results. This is why owning a car like a corvette is great, because there are people like you who are willing to try something different.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:07 PM
danieloneil01
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by redcycle13
I'm sure anything can be done with the appropriate amount of money, but I'd bet it wont be financially responsible to complete this conversion. I could be wrong though considering the 7 speed has already been swapped.
Financially responsible? LOL

Most here aren't.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:56 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,085 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by danieloneil01

Most here aren't.

That made me laugh.

Sometimes I open the door to my garage at home and look at my Daytona Eliminator, motorcycles, snow mobile, two single digit drag cars and a C6 road racer and think "well there's goes the kids college funds".

But I wouldn't go back and change things if I could, if your a modder, your a modder. Just the way it is. I'll work harder to put them threw school.

As far as the trans goes, I would sit back and wait to see what it is capable of first, then how will it be controlled before this even becomes a discussion.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:01 PM
redcycle13
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
That made me laugh.

I'm glad somebody got the subtle hint at humor.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:53 PM
1998BlackPlasticToy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by danieloneil01

Most here aren't.
Aren't those mutually exclusive? Being a modder (we ARE in FI/Nitrous!) and being responsible... My kids inheritance is sitting on top of my motor!! And I love it. No regrets. Maybe I would have a different attitude if she and her husband had decided to WORK rather than live off the the Gov't dole for the past 20 years!!
Old 09-21-2014, 05:02 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

as WC say, I spend most of my money on a good woman, fast cars, and good times, the rest unfortunately is wasted

the c7 architecture is very complex and retrofitting might not even be feasible. but where there is a will there is a way

I'm sure PCS will be working on a controller, and modding the cradle or updating to a 7 cradle isn't impossible

I'm always at least looking at the lunatic fringe as technology marches on and this tranny looks like an animal

I have a 4L65E from RPM that is MORE than fine for now.

but I'm also hard on the equipment

also looking at the 6l80E champion with a circle D conv seems to be holding up over 800 which is where I want to be

if we can master that build, surely the 8L80E will just be the next domino to fall
Old 09-21-2014, 06:20 AM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

With a powerful V8....why on earth would you need 8 gears ?
Old 09-22-2014, 06:27 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

by keeping the engine above peak torq with lower splits between the gears the car should be faster

but yes, 4 spds DOES seem to be enough with monster torq and the low gear of the 8sp is REALLY low

I know some of the 6 spd 6l80e guys actually launch the car starting in second gear to reduce the torq and hook better and eliminate the big gap from 1st to 2nd

the factory engineers are smarter than me, if they saw a need for 8 gears with 650 ft lb to go faster, maybe there is something to it!
Old 09-22-2014, 03:00 PM
Milan
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Don't feed the troll Rkreigh. Stevie turbo will be stuck in the last century for eternity.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:23 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

I don't think the 8 spd is a very good idea behind big power, forced induction setup... More clutches to burn up, more components to fail etc etc...not to mention even harder to tune and keep the quirks out of them.. Look how bad the 6l80s are after 600rwhp and no one can build one to last...an 8 spd will be even worse. Look at the C7 auto cars now, even LMR can't get one to shift right at the strip...

I'm surprised Dodge went with the 8 spd on the Hellcat, but after watching the vids and seeing how fast/quick that thing shifts (10x better then any GM 6 or 8 spd), I'm sub'd to see how long they last when Hellcats and their owners hit the strips.

If I were you, I'd stick with the RPM 4l60 and just save some pennies for the inevitable rebuild.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:49 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Milan
Don't feed the troll Rkreigh. Stevie turbo will be stuck in the last century for eternity.
I'd say in many respects I'm quite far ahead of some in terms of making use of technology.

I can see no benefit whatsoever from having 8 gears behind a large powerful V8 though.

If it was a small engine with a narrow power band, or a diesel with limited rpm's, then it would make sense.

Even on a n/a standard car it'd be pushing it. Although on the flip side, 4 speed etc is far beyond the last century..

But as long as I have two legs and arms, I wouldnt have an auto for "performance" use regardless.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:29 PM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 809 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
That made me laugh.

Sometimes I open the door to my garage at home and look at my Daytona Eliminator, motorcycles, snow mobile, two single digit drag cars and a C6 road racer and think "well there's goes the kids college funds".

But I wouldn't go back and change things if I could, if your a modder, your a modder. Just the way it is. I'll work harder to put them threw school.
or they can get jobs & apply for scholarships like i did. mom didn't have a dime to pay for my education.

Get notified of new replies

To 8 spd auto

Quick Reply: 8 spd auto