C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

goes rich and sputters

Old 09-21-2014, 05:19 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Default goes rich and sputters

well, this car is telling me it wants TLC

after a hot start, the car is running down the road and when I give it just a bit of gas it's going full rich WB is reaching 10-1

car sputters and finally recovers

I did have a code indicating the 02 wasn't heating up, but it didn't seem to cause any problems and the car ran fine. the code kinda comes and goes, car only has 34k miles on it and it's a relatively fresh ttix build

car is driven regularly and this is the first problems I've had with it running rough

time for new 02 sensors? it seems like it's having problems transitioning from open to closed loop, maybe the 02 isn't heated up properly.

any advice on how to tackle this?

Last edited by Rkreigh; 09-21-2014 at 05:23 AM.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:25 AM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds more like spark plugs to me judging by when you say it happens. Just my hunch though. Misfires would cause a rich condition, not sure about that code though.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:17 AM
danieloneil01
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CEL for the O2 heater for the precat and on the same side as the WB sensor? If so just replace both of the precat ones and bam problem solved.
Old 09-21-2014, 03:31 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 314 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by NukeC5
Sounds more like spark plugs to me judging by when you say it happens. Just my hunch though. Misfires would cause a rich condition, not sure about that code though.
With all due respect, misfires don't cause a rich condition. They cause a lean condition. Unburned fuel is just that. It's unburned. 02's don't read unburned fuel. They don't read fuel at all. They read oxygen content and for that reason, when a cylinder fails to properly or completely burn the fuel, it results in additional oxygen being pumped into the exhaust and reflecting a lean condition.

Ron, I'm guessing that your car wasn't tuned in open loop and now that the 02's are not working properly, they're not correcting any deficiencies that exist in the tables. When they're working properly, that feedback is used to correct these deficiencies in the form of fuel trims. If what I'm saying is true, once you get them working, you should notice elevated fuel trims when driving under the same circumstances that currently cause you to be rich.

Check the easy stuff first. The 02 heaters must be fully operational for the 02's to work effectively. The fuse for both heater circuits is in the block, under the hood. Check that first.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:23 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT56
With all due respect, misfires don't cause a rich condition. They cause a lean condition. Unburned fuel is just that. It's unburned. 02's don't read unburned fuel. They don't read fuel at all. They read oxygen content and for that reason, when a cylinder fails to properly or completely burn the fuel, it results in additional oxygen being pumped into the exhaust and reflecting a lean condition.

Ron, I'm guessing that your car wasn't tuned in open loop and now that the 02's are not working properly, they're not correcting any deficiencies that exist in the tables. When they're working properly, that feedback is used to correct these deficiencies in the form of fuel trims. If what I'm saying is true, once you get them working, you should notice elevated fuel trims when driving under the same circumstances that currently cause you to be rich.

Check the easy stuff first. The 02 heaters must be fully operational for the 02's to work effectively. The fuse for both heater circuits is in the block, under the hood. Check that first.
thanks! I'm with you all and pretty sure the O2 preheater is bad

car is stumbling until it goes closed loop and the heater isn't warming up the 02 as fast

time for new sensors!
Old 09-22-2014, 08:25 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 314 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Rkreigh
thanks! I'm with you all and pretty sure the O2 preheater is bad

car is stumbling until it goes closed loop and the heater isn't warming up the 02 as fast

time for new sensors!
As long as you checked the fuse that drives the heater circuit first.

Get notified of new replies

To goes rich and sputters

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: goes rich and sputters