C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TT Build for Pikes Peak Hillclimb

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 12:07 PM
ratt_finkel
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by momo20
I was right there when that evo went off the side that was insane glad your ok!

maybe its the same evo? here is the one I got pics of when I was there at the pikes peak hill climb
No, that was Andrew Comrie-Picard.

Just google Jeremy Foley pikes peak.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:17 PM
momo20
Safety Car

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by ratt_finkel

wow just watched that vid that was amazing you guys walked away from that..
Old 09-26-2014, 12:36 PM
regorih
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

In for the safety cage design / creation. When I first saw that vid the first thing that I thought was "Man that must be a good roll cage" before I even thought of the drivers well being.

Roger
Old 09-26-2014, 02:44 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

For fuel system, I can do some direct consulting with you on that. I've devised a way to accomplish getting 2 in-tank Walbro 485 pumps on the C5 and even have the second pump pick up from the floor of the tank in the rear. I'm currently in the middle of doing that on my personal car, along with a big Magnafuel outside. What many don't consider is actual fuel pump flow volume at the given pressures. IMO you need to stage the pumps at least and given that the 485 produces significantly more heat than the 255, maybe even put a PWM controller on the main pump. I don't know how the turbos will act at higher elevations, but I would expect them to have to spin at much higher speeds to achieve the same boost as they would at sea level.

For cooling system, Get a good water pump, Dewitt's rad and shroud with brushless spal fans, do a good job isolating the front of the radiator from the back so that hot air isn't recirculated and box it all in really well. I'll be done doing mine this way soon and will post up pics.

Depending on which beehive springs you've got, I would recommend changing to a good set of double springs.

Good thing you're local. Taylor at Dallas Performance might be able to mod your exhaust manifolds to accept a better turbo if needed. I'm pretty sure the manifolds are different on the C6Z kits, but I've seen him mod one to hold turbos that made ~1300RWHP.

Maybe consider going with a tiger shark nose and building shrouding to the intercooler as I've done to give the intercooler an independent, quality air supply.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:22 PM
slow ride
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

C5 APS kits use 2 separate intercoolers on each side of the nose and doesn't block the radiator. E85 itself acts as a combustion cooling system since you burn so much of it. I don't know if he will have any cooling issues as long as the radiator area is still properly ducted and sealed up nice and tight. Guys remember he is still running the stock engine at first.

I'm not sure if you can duct your turbo inlets like mine since the intercoolers might be in the way. Either way get rid of the soft inlet piping, you could use something that is similar but doesn't collapse or even screen being racecar
Old 09-26-2014, 05:45 PM
dougrodriguez
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

bad ***!!! Jeremy congrats on the car! your car is similar to my setup. difference is my heads on stock bottom end with meth yield 663@7-8PSI. I took my car down this month to forge the bottom end and refresh the aps small 20g wheels. We upgraded the compressor to to a similar size but with a 3in inlet and 59mm billet wheels. I wanted the similar raped ape response but able to flow hopefully 1000+hp. My turbo guy said the exhaust side is more then able to play and was pretty cheap considering the options out there. If you want pm me and i can give you the name. I attempted to contact DKT but after two emails i gave up on lack of response. They also upgraded all the bearings and thrust items to better stuff but im not a turbo buff to know exactly how big. You probably want to upgrade the radiator as well its pretty thin
Attached Images     

Last edited by dougrodriguez; 09-26-2014 at 05:55 PM.
Old 09-26-2014, 05:48 PM
2bridges
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by momo20
wow just watched that vid that was amazing you guys walked away from that..
The full length in car video is worth a good watch.

OP you have a serious pair of stones brutha!
You must be tripping over them fat dragging sumbtches
Old 09-26-2014, 06:57 PM
ratt_finkel
Racer

Originally Posted by 2bridges
The full length in car video is worth a good watch.

OP you have a serious pair of stones brutha!
You must be tripping over them fat dragging sumbtches

This is my favorite angle. Though the ending is a bitch.

Beautiful car Doug! Looks like those upgrades turbos are fairly large
Old 09-26-2014, 08:26 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 271 Likes on 211 Posts

For no cost you can open up the front license plate for more air flow, and vent the hood.
Old 09-27-2014, 12:13 AM
danieloneil01
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06
For cooling system, Get a good water pump, Dewitt's rad and shroud with brushless spal fans, do a good job isolating the front of the radiator from the back so that hot air isn't recirculated and box it all in really well. I'll be done doing mine this way soon and will post up pics.
Please do.
Old 09-27-2014, 03:30 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

For fuel system, I can do some direct consulting with you on that. I've devised a way to accomplish getting 2 in-tank Walbro 485 pumps on the C5 and even have the second pump pick up from the floor of the tank in the rear. I'm currently in the middle of doing that on my personal car, along with a big Magnafuel outside. What many don't consider is actual fuel pump flow volume at the given pressures. IMO you need to stage the pumps at least and given that the 485 produces significantly more heat than the 255, maybe even put a PWM controller on the main pump. I don't know how the turbos will act at higher elevations, but I would expect them to have to spin at much higher speeds to achieve the same boost as they would at sea level.

Depending on which beehive springs you've got, I would recommend changing to a good set of double springs.

Good thing you're local. Taylor at Dallas Performance might be able to mod your exhaust manifolds to accept a better turbo if needed. I'm pretty sure the manifolds are different on the C6Z kits, but I've seen him mod one to hold turbos that made ~1300RWHP.

Maybe consider going with a tiger shark nose and building shrouding to the intercooler as I've done to give the intercooler an independent, quality air supply.

very interested in the fuel setup and would like to help you prototype it.

I hope to have my tanks out this fall for a new build

agree on the tiger shark front end, even with the side mount intercoolers, it really helps get more air to the rad to cool the car

wouldn't two 485 pumps be enough for 900 at the tire on e85?

I'm thinking of running just a bit lower fuel pressure like maybe 50 psi at idle to help give them enough room for 24 psi boost

running 127 injectors + meth on top (alchy control)
Old 09-27-2014, 04:28 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Rkreigh
very interested in the fuel setup and would like to help you prototype it.

I hope to have my tanks out this fall for a new build

agree on the tiger shark front end, even with the side mount intercoolers, it really helps get more air to the rad to cool the car

wouldn't two 485 pumps be enough for 900 at the tire on e85?

I'm thinking of running just a bit lower fuel pressure like maybe 50 psi at idle to help give them enough room for 24 psi boost

running 127 injectors + meth on top (alchy control)
Pressure too low and the venturi stops pulling from the passenger tank. I put a baby pump in the passenger side to pump into driver tank as long as there's fuel in the passenger tank. Once it's low, the pump will turn off. I'll be running around 40psi.
If you go past 70psi with those pumps, there's a mod that needs to be done to keep the internal bypass from opening up and dumping your fuel pressure on its face. Look here for the how-to
http://foreinnovations.blogspot.com/
Old 09-27-2014, 11:40 PM
JDS99
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

Pressure too low and the venturi stops pulling from the passenger tank. I put a baby pump in the passenger side to pump into driver tank as long as there's fuel in the passenger tank. Once it's low, the pump will turn off. I'll be running around 40psi.
If you go past 70psi with those pumps, there's a mod that needs to be done to keep the internal bypass from opening up and dumping your fuel pressure on its face. Look here for the how-to
http://foreinnovations.blogspot.com/
That idea sounds familiar! Gonna be the new standard for big fuel systems around here. In for pics/writeup on the final setup
Old 09-28-2014, 04:58 AM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

ratt_finkel thanks for the responses! It's always good to discuss this kind of stuff.

I totally understand you decisions. The vette dose offer a lot of bang for the buck.

Please ensure you do a build thread on here to let us all see your progress.

Is methanol allowed for your class in time attack? Just thinking you could probably ditch the intercooling all together then.
Old 09-28-2014, 11:45 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by JDS99
That idea sounds familiar! Gonna be the new standard for big fuel systems around here. In for pics/writeup on the final setup
That's only because you were kind enough to share a great idea!
Old 10-02-2014, 12:55 AM
inspector12
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 76 Posts

Well I'll throw my .02 in here for you Jeremy. I run the APS manifolds and Down pipes on my car I coated and wrapped the manifolds and down pipes and used turbo blankets all to contain and control the heat. Used silicone fiberglass wrap on all wires that were anywhere near the motor/heat source. I have built a fairly relaiable setup and stays cool although I haven't beat on it for quite as long as your going to need too. But I will disagree with some one's statement earlier about the APS kit. I think it is perfectly suited for what your trying to do. Nothing will hold up like cast iron manifolds for durability and DKT Precision upgrades and Fuel system is important, but no need to reinvent the wheel I'd just order a setup from Fore and be done with it. I did my own hard stainless fuel lines just because I like doing that stuff and its over all cheaper. I run E85 as well. Cooling is probalby the most important for you and I'd over kill it. I cut down the front cross brace which was critical to get enough fresh air to the radiator to keep the beast cool. Patrick G just posted up what he did on his C6 which is very simular to what I did on my C6. While your working on a C5 a lot of the parts are used on the same vehicles. I run only aluminum block and one reason is I don't like the weight and they've held up just as good if not better than anyone's iron block has. second reason is they run significantly cooler @10-15*. Seperate Oil coolers for everything. The DKT precision turbos can be had with liquid cooling option as well although most don't spring for it. Running a Dry sump will probaby be critical for you as oiling is critica for such a long hard run up the hill. As always there is a lot more to some of the details I was telling you, but I'm sure you will read about a lot of them and there are a lot of ppl with some good info for you. But feel free to PM me and call if you need another person to run stuff by. I'm well versed in building alot of cars not just corvettes. Don't claim to know everything, but I have a good data base lol! Good Luck!

Last edited by inspector12; 10-02-2014 at 01:01 AM.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:25 PM
ratt_finkel
Racer

Originally Posted by inspector12
Well I'll throw my .02 in here for you Jeremy. I run the APS manifolds and Down pipes on my car I coated and wrapped the manifolds and down pipes and used turbo blankets all to contain and control the heat. Used silicone fiberglass wrap on all wires that were anywhere near the motor/heat source. I have built a fairly relaiable setup and stays cool although I haven't beat on it for quite as long as your going to need too. But I will disagree with some one's statement earlier about the APS kit. I think it is perfectly suited for what your trying to do. Nothing will hold up like cast iron manifolds for durability and DKT Precision upgrades and Fuel system is important, but no need to reinvent the wheel I'd just order a setup from Fore and be done with it. I did my own hard stainless fuel lines just because I like doing that stuff and its over all cheaper. I run E85 as well. Cooling is probalby the most important for you and I'd over kill it. I cut down the front cross brace which was critical to get enough fresh air to the radiator to keep the beast cool. Patrick G just posted up what he did on his C6 which is very simular to what I did on my C6. While your working on a C5 a lot of the parts are used on the same vehicles. I run only aluminum block and one reason is I don't like the weight and they've held up just as good if not better than anyone's iron block has. second reason is they run significantly cooler @10-15*. Seperate Oil coolers for everything. The DKT precision turbos can be had with liquid cooling option as well although most don't spring for it. Running a Dry sump will probaby be critical for you as oiling is critica for such a long hard run up the hill. As always there is a lot more to some of the details I was telling you, but I'm sure you will read about a lot of them and there are a lot of ppl with some good info for you. But feel free to PM me and call if you need another person to run stuff by. I'm well versed in building alot of cars not just corvettes. Don't claim to know everything, but I have a good data base lol! Good Luck!
Thanks for all the good info. I had a chance to hash out some details with a friend who has road raced C5's vigorously. And he gave me some great tips.

Really appreciate everyone's willingness to help. I'm putting together a build sheet right now. And sponsorship proposals will be sent out shortly. The new rules are out. And it looks like I'll be aiming for a full tilt build. Maximum power, grip and aero. Though it may take several years to build.

Get notified of new replies

To TT Build for Pikes Peak Hillclimb

Old 10-03-2014, 08:51 AM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

Thanks for all the good info. I had a chance to hash out some details with a friend who has road raced C5's vigorously. And he gave me some great tips.

Really appreciate everyone's willingness to help. I'm putting together a build sheet right now. And sponsorship proposals will be sent out shortly. The new rules are out. And it looks like I'll be aiming for a full tilt build. Maximum power, grip and aero. Though it may take several years to build.
Did i hear you say full tilt build? with big areo and power???

Take a look at the below thread for some monster aero package ideas (although its not tested really yet):

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...Exige+S1+Turbo
Old 10-03-2014, 12:34 PM
ratt_finkel
Racer

Originally Posted by chuntington101
Did i hear you say full tilt build? with big areo and power???

Take a look at the below thread for some monster aero package ideas (although its not tested really yet):

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...Exige+S1+Turbo
That's a pretty lengthy thread. I'll check it out next time I have a weekend to kill
Old 10-04-2014, 12:38 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 271 Likes on 211 Posts

They just mentioned your name and showed video clip on Fast and Loud. They were building a Pikes Peak car.

Quick Reply: TT Build for Pikes Peak Hillclimb