C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harmonic balancer and TB

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 09:46 PM
JT FRC 00
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Harmonic balancer and TB

Fixing to tear into the motor here very soon. Parts that's going to be added will be.

Jam Cam package
317 heads
ARP head bolts
LS9 head gaskets
C5-R timing chain
New oil pump
Meth ( Alky Control )
New balancer????

Not to sure on which balancer to go with now. Do I go with IW overdrive and leave my 3.6 blower pulley to keep from having belt slip issues? Or buy a good replacement that's stock diameter and drop to a 3.4 pulley on the blower? Either way I'm uping the boost since I'm dropping compression a little just can't decide. If I go with the IW will I need to change out any other accessory pulleys since it's an overdrive balancer?

Currently it's a stock bottom end LS1 with an A&A system plus other bolt-ons making 560RWHP 500ishTRQ

Also is it really worth swapping to a LS2 TB with a LS6 intake? I know guys on here are making great power with there stock TB so just curious really if it's worth the hassle to get it done. Thanks for any input
Old 09-25-2014, 10:14 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

I would go with the overdrive balancer and you might want to get one with more ribs in case you plan on upgrading down the line, that way you don't have to buy a balancer twice... I have to fix a leak from my front cover so I just ordered a custom overdrive 10 rib iw balancer... I don't need it right now but I know I will down the line so I figured now is a good time to do it... I'm not sure about a&a's setup but I know with the ecs kit you need to get a different tensioner bracket with the overdrive balancer that way if the belt snaps the tensioner won't hit the balancer and trash it... you will probably need a longer belt but nothing else should need to be changed... go ahead and get a smaller blower pulley too

as far as the ls2 tb, I would skip that for now unless you're gonna swap the whole ls2 intake setup on it also... the ls2 tb is a 4 bolt and ls6 is 3 bolt and I have seen some companies epoxy the ls2 intake snout onto the ls6 intake but I would not trust that under boost and I don't think much power would be gained from it anyway

Last edited by neutron82; 09-25-2014 at 10:16 PM.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:45 PM
JT FRC 00
Instructor

Originally Posted by neutron82

as far as the ls2 tb, I would skip that for now unless you're gonna swap the whole ls2 intake setup on it also... the ls2 tb is a 4 bolt and ls6 is 3 bolt and I have seen some companies epoxy the ls2 intake snout onto the ls6 intake but I would not trust that under boost and I don't think much power would be gained from it anyway
Yea the TB was kinda last minute thing. I've seen where they cut the snout off and installed the LS2 snout on it. They make adapter plates as well but to me that's just a problem waiting to happen and don't want to worry about any leaks.
Old 09-27-2014, 05:14 PM
JT FRC 00
Instructor

Ttt
Old 09-27-2014, 05:20 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

I have this for sale in the 4-sale section if you're keeping it stock diameter. This HB was recommended to me by Josh at A&A for proper fit/clearance and quality to go with my A&A kit. SFI-rated and it is stock diameter and 8-rib/4-rib.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-balancer.html
Old 10-02-2014, 10:13 PM
JT FRC 00
Instructor

Anyone else with some input? Going to stay with the stock TB, don't really see any gains swapping it out at the moment.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:43 AM
PEETYZ
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

I would buy a 10% OD balancer Jegs, IW, Or Dayco which is same as jegs all are 8 rib and work with 6 or 8 rib. Then buy your smaller pulley on the blower which should still give you more belt wrap than before. If it slips add an A&A secondary drive or flip drive. Then next step would be 8 rib upgrade but I doubt you get belt slip with the correct tension with an ofd balancer and a 3.4 or bigger blower pulley alone.

Get notified of new replies

To Harmonic balancer and TB

Quick Reply: Harmonic balancer and TB