C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok to adjust my BOV without the car being tuned ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 07:37 PM
always faster
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Ok to adjust my BOV without the car being tuned ???

Ok if everything goes ok i should start the car tomorrow.Everything seems find and all i will need is adjust my turbosmart BOV that came with my A&A kit.

My car has a perfect tune for my 383 ci and of course is not tuned for the new blower yet.Can i still adjsut my bov without my blower tune ???

I am talking about the free rev part.Can i free rev my engine to adjust my BOV or should i wait after the tune ???

Thanks
Eric

From the A&A instruction:

Adjusting your Turbosmart BOV
-Adjustment to the BOV is made by rotating the cap, to increase spring tension rotate in the direction of hard, marked on the top of the cap
-Rotate the cap in the direction of soft to decrease the spring tension – CAUTION Do not rotate the cap beyond the red indicator groove
-Start with the BOV cap at the maximum soft position (The red indicator should be slightly covered by the edge of the cap)
-Free rev the engine and back off quickly, the engine should return to normal idle speed – if the engine drops below idle or stalls increase the spring tension by half a turn
-Repeat this process until the engine free revs and returns to normal idle speed
-Test drive the car and ensure that when decelerating or changing gears that the engine does not backfire or stall. If backfiring is excessive or stalling is noticed then check all connections made during the installation, otherwise increase the spring tension
Old 09-28-2014, 03:13 AM
StrangelovesM6Vert
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 123 Posts

If you put in 60 lb injectors then you shouldn't run your engine with the old tune.
Tuning the BOV is not that critical.
You could just set it half way and it would be fine.
Old 09-28-2014, 02:20 PM
always faster
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by StrangelovesM6Vert
If you put in 60 lb injectors then you shouldn't run your engine with the old tune.
Tuning the BOV is not that critical.
You could just set it half way and it would be fine.
My 383 already got some 60lbs since day one so i can run the car like that but without creating any boost.

Right now the Bov is set to a minimum ,just after the o-ring and i can still feel the groove with my nail.There is no red indicator on it...

So do i left the BOV like that or i can free rev it ???
Should i still be able to feel the groove or my bov cap is not far ennough ???
I cant have the car tune yet because i gotta do a good 700-800 miles of easy breaking miles for my new trans and diff.
Old 09-28-2014, 03:27 PM
StrangelovesM6Vert
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 123 Posts

I can't answer your question directly.
I had mine professionally installed and dynotuned and run my BOV about half tight.
You can mark it and count how many rotations the valve will go from loose to tight, then experiment with your throttle.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:48 PM
reactor2
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I set my BOV, as per the A&A instructions, to the lightest setting and I never adjusted it after that. 7psi no problems.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:32 AM
always faster
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by reactor2
I set my BOV, as per the A&A instructions, to the lightest setting and I never adjusted it after that. 7psi no problems.
Wrote a messag to Josh since i dont have any red indicator on my bov.
I would like to know if im at the minimum right now.I can feel the groove of the second o-ring(small one) and if i had 1/4 of turn i cannot feel it.

I did start the car tonight and everything seems fine but didnt try to free rev it.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:16 AM
fotoboy
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just leave the supercharger spring in. Too much spring can take the impeller out. Ask me how I know.

Get notified of new replies

To Ok to adjust my BOV without the car being tuned ???

Quick Reply: Ok to adjust my BOV without the car being tuned ???