C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traction Control with big horsepower

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 04:58 PM
Neil B
Drifting

Received 110 Likes on 85 Posts

Default Traction Control with big horsepower

For you guys in the 800-900hp range. I'm curious what your experience has been with leaving the traction control/active handling on? I usually go into Competitive Driving Mode before making any hard pulls, but I am considering leaving full traction control on during the Texas Mile. I just really don't want to deal with wheel spin issues on that rough track at higher speeds. I've made some hard 4th gear pulls with it on and it seems fine but I haven't logged a pull with it on yet. Thoughts?
Old 09-28-2014, 08:38 PM
joshtownsend
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I never turn mine off..AH will save you at high speeds..
Old 09-29-2014, 05:43 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

on the ttix car the factory traction control gets pretty easily overwhelmed and when the boost kicks in I get quite a bit of wheel spin followed by an throttle chop

dangerous!! the active handling is great though and can help get you out of minor situations

the new high end Pro EFI systems and Motec have traction control, and I believe holley as well

I'm going to try and just go boost by speed and use my foot
Old 09-29-2014, 11:23 AM
Mike04
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Competitive mode is what I would run. Leaving the active handling on is a good thing. Traction you need to modulate with your foot, the traction control is very slow to respond on my car and would give me a slower time.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:45 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

I left the tc/ah on by accident once at the track... when I left the line it immediately cut out and I thought I stalled the car or broke something but then it came back and I noticed what I did... it was a waste until after the 3rd gear shift then it drove normal... I have a little less power than what you were inquiring about so with more I would expect similar or worse results... I would leave it in competitive mode
Old 09-30-2014, 08:31 AM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

If you understand the complexity of what most modern traction control systems actually do you would understand why they become troubled when you stick over twice the power at them!

most of the modern stuff that is linked into active handling system etc, has very detailed mapping of the engines power output and the traction available. The ECUs then calculate how much power to cut and cut that much.

So you run twice the power and stick some sticky tires on there and boom all those millions of dollars worth of calibration go out the window. thanks to the closed loop and self testing of these ECUs (cant have the active handling throwing a code and stopping working mid corner) the TC / AH will go into safe mode.

if you really want to run TC in a modded car you are better of going for a Motorsport customisable system. Then you can 'program' the system for your car and power output.

I am surprised more drag racers aren't doing this though. If you can link the wheel speed sensors into the diff (assuming its not a plate setup) then you can control the cross axle wheel speeds also. So how about no only being able to launch with no wheel spin but also keep the car dead straight also.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:01 AM
mobius
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Davis technologies has a pretty slick traction control setup. but u need a 0-5v input to a timing retard circuit for it to work. if you are serious about it running an aftermarket ecu and this or the other mentioned options is the only way to go. I am considering it since i run haltech. before this my next mod will be 15s with et pros. davis tech box runs 2k$
Old 09-30-2014, 10:39 PM
gotjuice?
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I would just hit the button once, That way you can spin the tires on take off. You must really know your car so you don't blow the tires off. Remember it is not a prepped track at the mile. You will also have to deal with the bump at the 1/4 mile mark. Under full power mine would blow the tires off and hit red line.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:48 PM
Neil B
Drifting

Received 110 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by gotjuice?
I would just hit the button once, That way you can spin the tires on take off. You must really know your car so you don't blow the tires off. Remember it is not a prepped track at the mile. You will also have to deal with the bump at the 1/4 mile mark. Under full power mine would blow the tires off and hit red line.
Yes, that bump you refer to is obvious even in videos. Anything further down the track that really upsets the car?
Old 09-30-2014, 11:08 PM
gotjuice?
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Neil B
Yes, that bump you refer to is obvious even in videos. Anything further down the track that really upsets the car?
Right at the finish line there is a big bump/transition. The Vette will bottom out big time. I have coil overs, The rear tires will bottom out in the upper fenders and the front splitter will drag the ground. LMR broke a rear coil over on the bump at the finish line. They have made the bump a litter better over the years.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:55 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by gotjuice?
Right at the finish line there is a big bump/transition. The Vette will bottom out big time. I have coil overs, The rear tires will bottom out in the upper fenders and the front splitter will drag the ground. LMR broke a rear coil over on the bump at the finish line. They have made the bump a litter better over the years.
I've never been out there but it seems like they aren't too worried about people crashing... too bad they won't let us use the tollways for some kind of event like that, after all we do pay for it
Old 10-01-2014, 07:42 PM
1slowride
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default TC On

I have forgot to turn my TC off a few times, and when the boost shocks the tires as fast and hard as it does, the car will cut out and fall over, but not before it sets the Traction CONTROL / ACTIVE HANDLING LIGHT. I have to pull over and turn the car off, and restart it for the light to go off.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:23 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Put mine in competitive driving mode or turn it completely off (its rare that it's completely off though) . Leaving it on almost always results in its activation for me if your making a hard pull.

Get notified of new replies

To Traction Control with big horsepower

Quick Reply: Traction Control with big horsepower