C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch starting to slip in low rpm/high gear but NOT under boost.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 07:56 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Default Clutch starting to slip in low rpm/high gear but NOT under boost.

I have a Mcleod rst and aluminum flywheel that has been in the car since 2011. I have been boosted since March/April(when I don't have fuel issues) for the past few months I noticed a odd sound/feeling coming from the shifter area which is coming from the clutch area. (I'm guessing). It sounds/feels like a rusted door being closed it's not loud like holly crap but I can feel/hear it and it's only on downshifts and sometimes the sound is there for a few miles and sometime it goes away for weeks. I'm thinking maybe throw out bearing? Anyways the other day I left my house had the car in 3rd going down the street doing about 20 and through 4th and my revs jumped. I thought I hit a patch of water and spun. I got on the highway doing about 55 throw 6th and floor it and it's jump 1k rpm then drops then the car goes. It has never done this before. If I go into first under boost and romp on it no issues even say 3rd gear in higher rpm it holds fine under boost. But anything at a low speed and high gear it slips and smells bad. I'm wondering if the main seal is leaking onto it? I changed the clutch fluid since I have that speed bleeder or whatever it's called and it's nice and clear but no change. Anything I can do before tearing into it? Are these clutches rebuildable same with the flywheel? Anything else I can do? I have access to a lift thank GOD!! like I said it slips bad when I'm at a low rpm high gear but not say going into boost at a higher rpm lower gear..i assume that will start to give to?

All parts were new when installed in 2011
Mcleod rst and aluminum flywheel about 20k now(5k boosted)
ls6 slave and master(20k now)
ls6 Throwout bearing(20k)
quick bleeder or whatever it's called 20k
rear end leaks again-20k
main seal maybe leaking never changed 100k (have small drops under car can see where it's coming from)

Last edited by Chicago1; 10-12-2014 at 07:58 PM.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:39 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Maybe the RPM is adding to your pressure plate clamping force. Could be that your slave clearance was set up too tight. The fingers on the pressure plate raise up as the clutch wears, decreasing your pressure plate to slave clearance. You could pull your inspection cover and check/verify that.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:33 AM
PEETYZ
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Very possible the rear main seal could be causing you some issues...kinda strange its not under boost tho...Make sure you have enough crank case evac a friend of mine had too much pressure and blew his rear main out. It had popped the dipstick out before as well.

If the clutch is damaged the RST can be rebuilt to RST or RXT

Last edited by PEETYZ; 10-13-2014 at 09:37 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch starting to slip in low rpm/high gear but NOT under boost.

Quick Reply: Clutch starting to slip in low rpm/high gear but NOT under boost.