C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some build help / Advice please

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 12:22 AM
blackcoupe04
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Need some build help / Advice please

I have an 04 Z06 in stock form, I daily drive it and enjoy the hell out of it. I want more power but not so much that it takes away from its drivability and reliability. I really want to go with a forged block, twin turbos and the supporting mods to get me into the 9's. Is my goal even realistic for a reliable daily driver? Is a 9 second Z06 too much for a 12 hour road trip? Im sure the right amount of money could make my goal a reality. Im just afraid of spending 20-30K on her and not reaching my goals with the build. So, while not giving up reliability, how much power can I add? How much power is truly street able? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:11 AM
KS Rebuilder
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have spent $30K+on my mods-build (not counting car cost-02Z)with most all of the labor myself. At 700+ RWHP I have or will finish changing everything, some things 3 times to get it right. Engine including most all accessories and brackets, injectors (3), clutch (2), bell housing (blow proof), RPM trans & diff, carbon fiber driveshaft, fuel systems/pumps (3), fuel tanks 04 style, exhaust (2), meth injection, radiator, tran-diff out 4 times. No changes to interior except gauges (don't know why I bothered because you can't look at them when your foot is in it), rear tigershark bumper, hood, rear flared quarters, big rear tires and wheels, busted knuckles 25, and swear words at least 2 or so. Do I like the power? Yes. If I would had no do-overs I would probably feel better about it. Do your research and ask a ton of questions. Maybe even if you can do it yourself I would think about letting a performance shop do it for you. What was really frustrating was I was reading builds that other form members did and some did not work for me because of small differences in my build. Car is extremely streetable as long as you don't get much below 1/2 tank of fuel as the fuel tends to heat up ******* it around town. On the highway there are no issues at all. I bet a good choice now is one of the new supercharged GM crate motors that have a warranty. Good luck.

Last edited by KS Rebuilder; 10-13-2014 at 01:20 AM. Reason: wanted to visit more
Old 10-13-2014, 11:24 AM
blackcoupe04
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the reply. Do overs are exactly what Im trying to avoid. I can do the work myself, but not the tuning. However, Im leaning towards letting a good shop do the full build. I just don't have much spare time these days for turning wrenches. Problem is, Ive talked to several shops within a few hours drive and all are trying to talk me out of turbos in favor of what they specialize in, SC's. At this point it's looking like I may have to travel a great distance for the setup Im looking for What power adder are you using?
Old 10-14-2014, 12:20 AM
KS Rebuilder
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blackcoupe04
Thanks for the reply. Do overs are exactly what Im trying to avoid. I can do the work myself, but not the tuning. However, Im leaning towards letting a good shop do the full build. I just don't have much spare time these days for turning wrenches. Problem is, Ive talked to several shops within a few hours drive and all are trying to talk me out of turbos in favor of what they specialize in, SC's. At this point it's looking like I may have to travel a great distance for the setup Im looking for What power adder are you using?
I have a D series Procharger @ about 15# boost. I also installed the latest A&A Corvette SC bracket (for Procharger) and A&A's accessory drive bracket. Nothing goes as planned as the acc drive bracket is designed for a stock throttle body. Check out this link:https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ttle-body.html You can see what I ran into. One thing to keep in mind is to wrap your headers, be carefull where you run the fuel lines back to the tank (fuel heating issue- run them in the driver rocker), put in the biggest radiator & fans you can get (I used a cut down Dewitts+their fans) and definitely install meth injection. My air intake temperature on the dyno under full throttle is 75 degrees. You will need a great big alternator-mine is slight overkill @200amps at idle but the dyno guys said it made a huge difference in how hot the spark was.

Get notified of new replies

To Need some build help / Advice please

Quick Reply: Need some build help / Advice please