C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

YSi to F1x-Yes or No?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 12:40 PM
Proace4
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default YSi to F1x-Yes or No?

I have been enjoying my little YSi combo for the past year now and it really has been trouble free after getting the correct alignment.

However, it is extremely clear I need more power after TI. The car has lost that butterflies feeling to me as well. I have the opportunity to get into an F1x at a decent price.

My questions are more about reliability and longetivity vs power outpout, as I know the F1x will out perform the YSi. How much more power in theory will I see at a given boost level? Hard to say... How much harder will I need to spin it to see gains because of the extra friction or drag it creates?

8 rib to 8 rib, will I see an increase in belt slip or a decrease? I am betting on less since I am currently running a 2.6" on my YSi... Will the F1x force me into a 10 rib setup?

Will the blower be as streetable of a setup as I have now with the YSi? Can I put 12k miles on the car a year if I wanted? Is the constant cruising rpm bad on the blower? Long distances at a certain belt tension cause harm? I normally loosen the belt tension a little before a road trip and then sinch it back down at my destination with the current setup.

I know physically fitting it under a stock hood will be a task but I have a good model to follow here local so I think that shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Any tips or advice would be appreciated to assist in my decision, I am leaning pretty heavily towards the F1x.

Last edited by Proace4; 10-22-2014 at 12:43 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:28 PM
blown81bu
Safety Car

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

How much rwhp are u making..i outgrew my 8 rib w my novi 2000..my winter project is a 10 rib upgrade
In my opinion u will def need a 10 rib w a procharger and those things are jus so loud and un reliable compared to ysi or novi
Old 10-22-2014, 03:11 PM
C5Z 8 U
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Williams orange c6z made 1166whp with an 8 rib. It can be done, but the 10 rib setup would be a good idea. I didn't have to space my steering rack for it to fit, just need the correct idlers on the tensioner, 10 rib pulley, and an alignment and you should be good. Going bigger every year. I like it!!!
Old 10-22-2014, 03:12 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

Been there done that for the money, DONT do it really not worth it. Unless you going to a full race car for the track only. A street car just pulley down to a 2.75 on the YSI...
Old 10-22-2014, 03:46 PM
Proace4
Racer

Originally Posted by blown81bu
How much rwhp are u making..i outgrew my 8 rib w my novi 2000..my winter project is a 10 rib upgrade
In my opinion u will def need a 10 rib w a procharger and those things are jus so loud and un reliable compared to ysi or novi
How are they unreliable? Do they fail from spinning high rpm a lot? I am trying to find facts and make sure I am educated before I jump ship from my YSi.

As far as power, I don't know exactly.. Never been on a dyno. Ysi w/ 2.6" pulley on a 402. guessing around 1000.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:47 PM
Proace4
Racer

Originally Posted by robert miller
Been there done that for the money, DONT do it really not worth it. Unless you going to a full race car for the track only. A street car just pulley down to a 2.75 on the YSI...
I already run a 2.6" on my YSi now.. What makes the F1x such a bad move?
Old 10-22-2014, 05:23 PM
kromberg
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Proace4
What makes the F1x such a bad move?
Personal ignorance.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:34 PM
Proace4
Racer

Originally Posted by kromberg
Personal ignorance.
Got anything more to add to the coversation or is that your final answer?
Old 10-22-2014, 05:42 PM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd go turbo before bigger belt driven superchargers
Old 10-22-2014, 06:15 PM
c5mtl
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 4DRUSH
I'd go turbo before bigger belt driven superchargers
Old 10-22-2014, 07:08 PM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by robert miller
Originally Posted by kromberg
Personal ignorance.
Considering Robert has owned both a Nasty YSI combo and Currently has a even nastier F1X combo I would take his advice to heart..

The YSI really is the perfect blower if there was a such a thing. It is docile enough for the street but will still make serious power without any problems.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:18 PM
joshtownsend
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bigger inst better.. If you got to a F1x ..r. you will start to have silly issues one after another... as far as TI is concerned.. why worry about it.. If you have to impress "those" people.. may of which i know.. i feel bad for you and you have the wrong car anyways for it..

if you want reliable, trouble free driving, stay under 1000.. many included myself once tried it and I been making just under that for a few years now and would never go back..its not worth the headaches and the car breaking all the time...
Old 10-22-2014, 09:21 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Proace4
I already run a 2.6" on my YSi now.. What makes the F1x such a bad move?
Just for a street machine really not worth the money diff. But a full blown race car yes. Not is it.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:28 PM
blown81bu
Safety Car

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

i remember my procharger days with my low 8 sec malibu..years of using them and def broke alot and back to procharger for new gear set
it was mainly a race only car too
thankgod i was sponsored by procharger..lol

ysi..2200r..2000...1500..best vette blowers..

i use a 2000 cause at this point i make enough or too much power i can use already...i dont want a car thats gonna break every pass...

Last edited by blown81bu; 10-22-2014 at 09:30 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:34 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Originally Posted by joshtownsend
Bigger inst better.. If you got to a F1x ..r. you will start to have silly issues one after another... as far as TI is concerned.. why worry about it.. If you have to impress "those" people.. may of which i know.. i feel bad for you and you have the wrong car anyways for it..

if you want reliable, trouble free driving, stay under 1000.. many included myself once tried it and I been making just under that for a few years now and would never go back..its not worth the headaches and the car breaking all the time...
Well put above statement. I am with a RHS 427 F1X blower on it. Well put together with Arun stage V cam. Every parts on the inside above the avg. I have it just under 1,k RWHP with a diff cam only and a 3.70 pulley the last tuner said it has the AIR in it to make just under 1300 RWHP.

When you go over the 1,k rwhp you better have really deep pockets or have a full race car set up in these cars. Like a P/G and 9 inch rear set up. If not you will be breaking part all the time.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:37 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Originally Posted by breecher_7
Considering Robert has owned both a Nasty YSI combo and Currently has a even nastier F1X combo I would take his advice to heart..

The YSI really is the perfect blower if there was a such a thing. It is docile enough for the street but will still make serious power without any problems.
The YSI has to be one of the best blowers out on the market for these cars. Will make tons of RWHP and RWTQ if you get the correct cam for it.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:57 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by breecher_7

No need for any other response Tony summed it up.

When I read something that begins with I have a YSi and I need more power I automatically raise an eyebrow. The YSi will make 1000 whp on a 347 cid engine let alone a stroker combo.

To the OP. Keep your YSi and pulley down.

Get notified of new replies

To YSi to F1x-Yes or No?

Old 10-22-2014, 10:01 PM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MVP'S ZO6
No need for any other response Tony summed it up.

When I read something that begins with I have a YSi and I need more power I automatically raise an eyebrow. The YSi will make 1000 whp on a 347 cid engine let alone a stroker combo.

To the OP. Keep your YSi and pulley down.
How are you passing school if you can't read Mike
Old 10-22-2014, 10:12 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Proace4,

An F1X flows a ton more air then a YSI, it also likely has a ton more parasitic loss. No doubt you can make a bunch more power with the f1x but that comes with a lot more boost.. If you pullied it to make the same boost it was making with the ysi on the exact same engine combo, it would likely show the same or less power.. The extra power comes from the extra air flow it can provide...which will show up in boost psi..(engine flow restriction).

If your engine is built well enough to handle 25+ psi, and your fuel system/fuel is capable of supporting 1100+, you'll benefit from the F1X swap..

If you want to keep the boost at a given level (say 20 psi) and continue to run on pump/meth, stick with the ysi and your 900-1000hp you're making now.
If you really want to make more power at a given boost level, especially on pump gas/meth levels, go turbo and gain the 150-200hp you're not spinning a blower with.

I agree the ysi is the best all around blower for a street car.. Guys are running 8.30s@3200lbs with YSIs so... They work. I have an F1R that flows considerably more air then a ysi, yet I make about 100hp less then similar combos with maxxed out YSIs. Parasitic drag on the race Procharger units is substantial..takes a lot more boost to make the power.

For all the gay roll racing/Dyno queen stuff that needs 1600+ to be competitive, you better go big twins..

Last edited by ajrothm; 10-22-2014 at 10:15 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:14 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 4DRUSH
How are you passing school if you can't read Mike
Mike just didnt read he was running the smaller 2.6 pulley now. You trouble maker.

Quick Reply: YSi to F1x-Yes or No?