C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PS pump pulley fun

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 04:18 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Default PS pump pulley fun

In the process of trying to get my flip drive installed, I attempted to remove the PS pulley using the standard PS pulley puller so I can upgrade to the C6 steel version.

Innocent enough, right? Should just pop right off.

Nope. Thing gave me fits all afternoon breaking the little lip on the pulley that the puller grabs onto. I must have tried 5 different pullers before finally drilling three holes to use a three-arm puller with screws and bolts through the body of the pulley. Here was the result of that effort.

The pulley is made sort of bakelite material that cracked pretty easily. It's molded onto a double-toothed hub that is pressed onto the pump shaft. I thought the pulley was aluminum until I heated with my torch to try and expand it from the shaft and a funny smell emanated from it. Even with this totally shattered and the pump apart, that hub would not separate from the shaft. I'm taking it to work tomorrow to use one of the presses to press the shaft out of the hub.

Here's the C6 version that will go on.

Never had this much trouble pulling a silly pulley.

Last edited by Patches; 11-01-2014 at 05:40 PM.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:22 PM
always faster
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I did mine a month ago and it didnt break but just like you, it was totally stuck on the ps shaft.Took me a big 1\2 inch electrical impact gun to get it off. It made a loud cracking noise when it finally begin to slide on the shaft all in one piece.

Just like you, ive installed the same c6 steel one,and i dont think that we will get any problem
Old 10-26-2014, 05:45 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by always faster
I did mine a month ago and it didnt break but just like you, it was totally stuck on the ps shaft.Took me a big 1\2 inch electrical impact gun to get it off. It made a loud cracking noise when it finally begin to slide on the shaft all in one piece.

Just like you, ive installed the same c6 steel one,and i dont think that we will get any problem
I tried my 1/2" 600 ft.lb impact gun and it did not even phase it. It did shatter the threaded shaft on the puller though.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:59 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

I replaced mine on the car and surprisingly it came off in one piece... it popped pretty loud when it broke loose and I thought I shattered it but all was well, after that it came off pretty easily and pressed the ls2 pulley on with no issues... it definitely made it easy to remove the pump from the car and no worries about it exploding into pieces
Old 10-26-2014, 06:21 PM
idontknow
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

we broke mine intentionally just to put the c6 style on it. when we were messing with the ps pulley my buddy said, i hope yours don't break. i replied with i already got a new c6 style. he then said oops and cracked mine. LOL
Old 10-26-2014, 06:57 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Mine broke because I hit it with a ratchet end on accident of all things when I was doing the install.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:05 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

You pulled the shaft out of the pump ?

Is the pump still ok ?
Old 10-28-2014, 12:13 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Easy getting the shaft out of the pump - just one retaining ring and it popped out. Pump is fine as is the bearing. Machinist at work is having quite the time getting the metal hub off - it's seriously pressed on there but I'm sure he'll have it off today.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:25 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

When you're at the stage of the shaft out etc...just cut it off with a grinder.

Carefully of course.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:53 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

This is what it's come down to. The machinist said he's never seen a press fit as stubborn as this one.
Attached Images  
Old 10-28-2014, 08:23 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

And, finally . . .
Attached Images  
Old 10-30-2014, 07:36 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Back together today. I actually ordered a new bearing from Rockauto.com (kickazz webstie, btw ) because I wasn't comfortable with all the abuse the original bearing might have seen in the shop trying to get that hub off. I installed it on the shaft this afternoon, pushed the shaft back in the pump and secured it with the snap ring and finally pressed the new pulley onto the shaft. The assembly is smooth as butter and ready to go back in.

First I need to mod the alternator bracket for the flip drive installation and then the ps pump can go back on. Incidentally, I do have the Dallas Performance PS pump line I ordered a while back that actually fits to replace the one that comes with the kit that I've heard can be a beotch to fit due to short length.

Sami - the joy is in the journey, not the destination. J/K, I'm trying to pick up the pace but lots of stuff going on at work and here at home so not a lot of time to go full-bore. I can work fast when necessary but absolutely no need here.

Get notified of new replies

To PS pump pulley fun

Quick Reply: PS pump pulley fun