C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some direction.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 03:55 PM
Stealth02
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 95 Posts

Default Need some direction.

I'm guessing this is the right place to start. I am wanting to Supercharge my 02 coupe. The motor is tired. Should I purchase a low mileage engine and start with that or rebuild and freshen up my exsisting one. It has around 190, 000 on it now. Bought it with 130, 000. I've done all my body and suspension mods and now I'm working towards the big mod. I'm treking into unfamiliar territory and just looking for some direction to avoid costley mistakes. I'm looking for hp somewhere in the mid 500's to 600's. Needs to be a streetable and reliable conversion. Not looking for a drag car. Just some fun power to play with. I'm running a Z06 3:42 differential with a 2800 stall. B&B bullets with xpipe. No headers yet. Motor is stock and tired. Will upgraded heads be needed to obtain my hp goal? Ready to absorb any and all knowledge and suggestions. Thanks Rob
Old 10-27-2014, 04:43 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by Stealth02
I'm guessing this is the right place to start. I am wanting to Supercharge my 02 coupe. The motor is tired. Should I purchase a low mileage engine and start with that or rebuild and freshen up my exsisting one. It has around 190, 000 on it now. Bought it with 130, 000. I've done all my body and suspension mods and now I'm working towards the big mod. I'm treking into unfamiliar territory and just looking for some direction to avoid costley mistakes. I'm looking for hp somewhere in the mid 500's to 600's. Needs to be a streetable and reliable conversion. Not looking for a drag car. Just some fun power to play with. I'm running a Z06 3:42 differential with a 2800 stall. B&B bullets with xpipe. No headers yet. Motor is stock and tired. Will upgraded heads be needed to obtain my hp goal? Ready to absorb any and all knowledge and suggestions. Thanks Rob
Go to one of the vendors in here for a short block. Then get you a set of 243 heads. Then ls6 intake 90 mm T.B.

Trans will be your next big $$$ when you have to go with that go with RPM transmissions in here. You can really buy a build short block cheaper that you can have one build on these LS motors. Robert

Last edited by robert miller; 10-27-2014 at 04:46 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:49 PM
Blow Torch
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Lots of opinions, most will depend on your budget, so assuming it is minimal, here is mine.

If you think you will be happy with mid 500s, then find yourself a good LS1 longblock (00 or later) with low miles (40-80,000) and just put it in and go (can put in a cam and pin crank while out)

Another approach is to get a low miles short block (cheaper) and have your heads worked (adds expense) and do the same

The most expensive, but best long term choice, is to hook up with someone like Thompson motorsports, buy a no frills forged short block for less than $3000, then work your heads, buy the gaskets, oil pump, timing chain, etc. you need and have a motor you can build power on for a while
Old 10-28-2014, 02:26 PM
Thompson Motorsports
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

We can definitely get you a budget friendly motor that will work great with the supercharger. Give us a call and we can get you lined out quickly to see if what we offer will work for you.

Thank you for the recommendation Blow Torch we appreciate it.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:28 PM
redcycle13
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

If you really will be happy with 500hp, then save yourself a lot of money, and build a stroker. No forced induction necessary, and you solve the tired motor problem. I still vote forced induction though. I would probably boost the motor you have until it just quits, unless you know its ready to quit now.

Last edited by redcycle13; 10-28-2014 at 04:31 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:23 PM
OWENMUSTANG
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An LS3 crate engine, headers and a mild cam should get you 470 easy.

416 stroker would be 525 easy or more depending on budget.

if you want to go S/C 500/600 hp Just drop in a low mileage LS1, mild blower cam and headers, 550 should be easy for that.

Agree, Your trans would be lucky to live with just the LS3...
Old 10-28-2014, 09:33 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts

I went with a long block 383 stroker(not cheep). If I had to do it over I might have looked at selling car and buying a sc car from a forum member already done with forged internals etc. I put 342 rear in, then sc kit and was saving for tranny and motor went! I was in kinda deep with a blown up car so it was not an option to sell at that point plus I like verts and you can't find as many for sale here with sc and all the goodies already. Much cheeper to buy a done car than to build one from scratch, but probably not as much fun! either way good luck!

Adam

Get notified of new replies

To Need some direction.

Quick Reply: Need some direction.