C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A&A Secondary Drive Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 04:48 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Default A&A Secondary Drive Issue

I posted this in the A&A sticky above but thought I'd post here as well in case anyone has the answer to my question.

I'm in the process of installing an A&A Secondary Drive. I upgraded the power steering pump pulley to the 4-arm C6 version and installed it with the pulley hub face flush with the pump shaft end. In trial-fitting the pump braided line, I discovered interference between the line fitting and the pulley as pictured below. In researching the pulley installation, others here instructed pressing the pulley hub flush to the shaft end (which I did, as noted above) but I'm wondering it that's incorrect, seeing the interference that creates with the pulley rim with the pulley in this position.

I am using the A&A instructions for this installation and they only show the stock C5 pulley in the section that illustrates the power steering adapter fitting and braided line installation, and it fits fine with that pulley. The C6 pulley is pictured elsewhere in the instructions.

What's the correct way to install this line? Did I press the pulley on too far and, if so, what's the correct depth? Do I then need to adjust the driven pulley depth (the one that drives the belt for the alternator and is driven by the crank pulley) to match this if I need to shim it out to ensure alignment?

Thanks.
Old 11-15-2014, 06:10 PM
joshtownsend
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes.. its too far.. to need to line it up with the crank pulley, not the hub on the PS pump.

ps.. it will be very close.. but wont touch
Old 11-15-2014, 06:46 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Cool - I will back it off and align it with the crank pulley when I install that.

Thanks.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:38 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by joshtownsend
Yes.. its too far.. to need to line it up with the crank pulley, not the hub on the PS pump.

ps.. it will be very close.. but wont touch
install the pump with the hose off and get a laser alignment tool... line the ps pulley up with the jackshaft pulley on your secondary drive, and also check your alternator to power steering pulley alignment... once it's good you can take the pump back off and install the hose... I'm also using the ls2 ps pulley and it will be a close fit but it won't touch
Old 11-15-2014, 11:11 PM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Why are you calling this an A&A Secondary Drive Issue
Old 11-16-2014, 12:05 AM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Have the Gates laser alignment tool already calibrated.

I have the ECS cog drive mod done to the crank and jack shaft pulleys so alignment may be a little different than the standard setup. I have the 8-rib upgrade as well.

Thanks.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:10 AM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 4DRUSH
Why are you calling this an A&A Secondary Drive Issue
I wouldn't have this problem if I wasn't installing the A&A setup and, because the pulley alignment setup is different than the standard setup, and because I have the first ECS cog-modded setup of an A&A secondary drive, I wanted feedback from those who've installed an A&A secondary drive with a C6 pulley. Even if no one has quite the same setup I'm installing, knowledge of how the A&A system could be helpful to me which is why I mentioned it.

Last edited by Patches; 11-16-2014 at 12:13 AM.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:51 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 314 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Patches
I wouldn't have this problem if I wasn't installing the A&A setup and, because the pulley alignment setup is different than the standard setup, and because I have the first ECS cog-modded setup of an A&A secondary drive, I wanted feedback from those who've installed an A&A secondary drive with a C6 pulley. Even if no one has quite the same setup I'm installing, knowledge of how the A&A system could be helpful to me which is why I mentioned it.
The pulley alignment is no different than factory original.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:21 AM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

I would imagine that since there is a tolerance on the factory HB fore-aft position, there will be some variance on where these pulleys all line up. I have installed several balancers and never had an issue but this is different. The reason I originally asked this question is because the factory position of the PS pulley was disturbed by the extra fitting the A&A kit requires on the PS pump which pushes the braided line fitting out which causes it to interfere with the PS pulley which forces it towards the front of the car. This is where the problem started which prompted me to ask those who've used this setup what they did to adjust to this shift in position.

Thanks for all the input.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:50 AM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Patches
The reason I originally asked this question is because the factory position of the PS pulley was disturbed by the extra fitting the A&A kit requires on the PS pump which pushes the braided line fitting out which causes it to interfere with the PS pulley which forces it towards the front of the car.
the pump has to be on the car in order for you to correctly check the alignment, you can't just install the pulley on the pump while it's off the car and assume it's in the proper position... fwiw I just looked at mine and the pulley is maybe a half millimeter off the end of the pump shaft and all pulleys are laser aligned perfectly... that doesn't mean yours will be in the same position, all cars are different... what I did when I installed my pulley was install the laser on the pulley as I was pressing it on the pump shaft until it was perfectly aligned... I'm willing to bet that once you have it installed in the right position that your hose fitting will clear just fine

Last edited by neutron82; 11-16-2014 at 02:52 AM.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:59 AM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

I understand adjustments need to be made to have the pulleys aligned on the car - that's why I bought the Gates laser. I'm simply trying to find out how people with the C6 pulley and the A&A kit which has the extra fitting got the setup to work. I'm sure I'll get everything aligned - I'm trying to start off with the right basic setup. Joshtownsend told me what I needed above.
Old 11-16-2014, 03:05 AM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I have a secondary drive also and the fitting clears just fine, close but it clears... your pulley is probably seated too far and that's why it interferes with the fitting
Old 11-16-2014, 01:03 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Although I've adjusted its position before, you can consider the alternator position, fixed. If the alternator and balancer align with your laser then you can put your alternator on the bracket and use it for a reference as to where your PS pulley needs to be with your properly calibrated laser.
I say that in case you haven't read the thread. They don't come calibrated from the factory and the piece of paper they come with is a joke considering you can only be off by about .032" over a 1ft span before you throw a belt.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:24 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

I posted in your laser calibration sticky thread about how I did mine - it was within a few thousandths of center within a meter and a half span. I finished mounting my secondary drive this morning and it came out great. I had to push the PS pump pulley back on about .030" after installing the braided line to the fitting as well as space the lower cogged driven idler out .050".

Last edited by Patches; 11-16-2014 at 05:31 PM.
Old 11-16-2014, 06:04 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

so it was rubbing the fitting when you had the pulley flush with the pump shaft and after putting it on the car and laser aligning it you had to press it on even further and it isn't rubbing now?... or did you mean you had to pull it off the shaft .030 so it's lined up and not rubbing the fitting?
Old 11-16-2014, 06:11 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

See posts #2 and #3 - I backed it off ~.060" right after he posted that yesterday and then aligned it with the laser this morning. As I said, joshtownsend told me what I needed to do in his post above - I had intended to do the final laser alignment with everything on the motor all along.

Last edited by Patches; 11-16-2014 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11-16-2014, 06:15 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

didn't even see that post this whole time

Get notified of new replies

To A&A Secondary Drive Issue

Old 11-18-2014, 02:35 AM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Looks good man!!
Old 11-23-2014, 01:04 PM
fsuforever
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MVP'S ZO6
Looks good man!!
I had to take my ps pulley & take off an 1/8 th of an inch with a lathe cuz it wasn't going on the ps shaft far enough & also u can bevel one side of your fitting to allow the line to clear
Old 11-23-2014, 01:06 PM
fsuforever
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06
Although I've adjusted its position before, you can consider the alternator position, fixed. If the alternator and balancer align with your laser then you can put your alternator on the bracket and use it for a reference as to where your PS pulley needs to be with your properly calibrated laser.
I say that in case you haven't read the thread. They don't come calibrated from the factory and the piece of paper they come with is a joke considering you can only be off by about .032" over a 1ft span before you throw a belt.
how about a video

Quick Reply: A&A Secondary Drive Issue