C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnuson verses A&A kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 08:43 AM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

Default Magnuson verses A&A kit

Getting really close to getting blown. Like the idea of being able to have instant punch off the line, even though honesty, until you get ready to race it, will not do much for you on the street.

Know well the difference between the two on paper, but not seat of the pants. Since most centri-based Superchargers really do not feel their oats until over 3K, wonder how much of a difference the Magnuson would make up to that point.

Looking for some experience here from those who have one or the other. The A&A or ECS kits are indeed cheaper and neither the A&A or ECS kits require an aftermarket hood (Magnuson will add 3K to the price, since the Aftermarket hood is required plus painting it). Is the Magnuson worth it?

I will continue to drive the car on the streets most of the time with some track time thrown in (about 6 times a year).

Waiting to hear opinions before I throw away a wad of cash!
Old 12-05-2014, 09:24 AM
Blow Torch
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I predict you will receive recommendations for a particular blower based on what that member is running.
I run a centri blower with an A4 with 3500 stall, and a 3.1 pulley, and I doubt very seriously a Maggie gets to boost much faster then I do, since I get there almost INSTANTLY
Only negative I can think of since I don't run a Maggie is the heat soak issue. I think they run some pretty high IATs
Old 12-05-2014, 12:00 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 314 Likes on 207 Posts

I've owned both. The Magnuson was great fun, but when I found myself wanting more, it was a relatively fruitless endeavor. I changed to the A&A YSi kit and had no real regret. Made nice smooth power (ended up at 1060RWHP before I sold it) for years with it. I only sold it in the pursuit of more power and ended up with a Dallas Performance cog driven F2 kit. I'll be selling that kit due to the twin turbo kit I've got coming soon.
For me, it never ends.

If you would like to discuss the A&A in further detail, give me a shout. I offer full support, even to the customers installing their own. I even answer questions evenings and weekends.

Offering products from A&A Superchargers, East Coast Superchargers, Mechman Alternators, Mantic clutches, RPS clutches, Kooks Headers, Lakewood, LG, Brian Tooley Racing, Comp Cams, FAST, ARP, UPP Turbo systems, Wiseco, Callies, K1, MAST Motorsports, Haltech and many more. PM me for details.
Old 12-05-2014, 12:39 PM
PEETYZ
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT56
I've owned both. The Magnuson was great fun, but when I found myself wanting more, it was a relatively fruitless endeavor. I changed to the A&A YSi kit and had no real regret. Made nice smooth power (ended up at 1060RWHP before I sold it) for years with it. I only sold it in the pursuit of more power and ended up with a Dallas Performance cog driven F2 kit. I'll be selling that kit due to the twin turbo kit I've got coming soon.
For me, it never ends.

If you would like to discuss the A&A in further detail, give me a shout. I offer full support, even to the customers installing their own. I even answer questions evenings and weekends.
I can vouch for that!
Old 12-05-2014, 01:04 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Blow Torch
Only negative I can think of since I don't run a Maggie is the heat soak issue. I think they run some pretty high IATs
I might be mistaken but I don't believe you can run meth on them either which is another disadvantage... most of us with centris use that to keep iat's in check
Old 12-05-2014, 01:30 PM
rodsvet
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I've run both PD's and Centri's. If there is any lag with my Si, it is a nano second.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:45 AM
Z_fox
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by neutron82
I might be mistaken but I don't believe you can run meth on them either which is another disadvantage... most of us with centris use that to keep iat's in check
I have been running meth with a Maggie for quite some time. Thinking since '06 or '07. No problems for me. Not getting a thousand hp with it but am getting 567/567 at the ground with a conservative tune and it'll still break loose in third gear.

For me it's whatever rings yer bell when it comes to choosing 'tween blowers.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:25 PM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 960 Likes on 572 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

I just sold my C5 with a magnuson MP112(intercooled). They spool up very fast, great low end torque, but they DO heatsoak in temps over 90 degrees. The magnuson was VERY realiable, no issues with the belts at all. Mine heatsoaked bad in the Alabama summer.
I just got the C5 with the A&A kit(Vortech V3si). It does not make any substantial power until after 3,000 rpm's. Then it takes off like a rocket! Very docile below 3k, drives just like a stock C5. I will not know how bad the temps will get until summer, so I can't say about the heatsoak. But so far, I am very impressed. The A&A kit is very detuned, I am only making around 470-480 at the wheels. But it is a daily driver, so I don't really care about super high HP numbers. This C5 is an automatic, so I am going to have to put a tranny cooler on before summer. So far, so good, with the A&A kit. Good luck.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:29 PM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 960 Likes on 572 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

Here is my thread with the A&A versus the Maggie.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...pressions.html
Old 12-07-2014, 01:06 AM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 809 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by neutron82
false. people have been running meth for years on them.
also, most who've switched from the "Maggie" to a centri had an old 112 or 122. the TVS units are WAY better than the older MP series. not only do they not heat soak as fast or bad, but they're also more efficient.

i didn't mod mine with the intent of it driving like stock for half its RPM range or for 1/4mi straight-line racing. that's why i got a blower with a more predictable & steady powerband. it really does feel like the difference between hopping in an old 350 C3 then driving one with a 454 - just noticeably more power all around.

for me it was either a PD or a twin turbo system
Old 12-07-2014, 02:16 AM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by _zebra
false. people have been running meth for years on them.
also, most who've switched from the "Maggie" to a centri had an old 112 or 122. the TVS units are WAY better than the older MP series. not only do they not heat soak as fast or bad, but they're also more efficient.

i didn't mod mine with the intent of it driving like stock for half its RPM range or for 1/4mi straight-line racing. that's why i got a blower with a more predictable & steady powerband. it really does feel like the difference between hopping in an old 350 C3 then driving one with a 454 - just noticeably more power all around.

for me it was either a PD or a twin turbo system
so how are the meth systems set up on a pd on these cars?... personally I've never seen one
Old 12-07-2014, 02:44 AM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

most spray into the air bridge the same as other cars. the thing is it works best to use 100% meth so that it completely vaporizes prior to reaching the rotors. the reason the manufacturers say not to use it is because there are people out there who spray warsher fluid, HEET, and water/meth mixes and call it all 'meth'. those all have higher flash points (temperatures where it vaporizes) & have the potential to still be liquids as they go through the compressor lobes. not only does liquid not appreciate trying to be compressed - thereby placing a little more stress on the rotors, but it's also slightly corrosive to the special blend of teflon coating.

the more ideal or effective system would be a direct-port setup, however that's a lot more complicated/expensive, and then there's the 3rd option of using a phenolic spacer between the upper & lower halves of the manifold (which has its own benefits) and plumb it to spray into the lower manifold itself - which is also hard to create an even distribution to all cylinders. that's why guys just spray pre-TB
Old 12-07-2014, 03:12 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts

For me it boiled down to money, the kit cost more ( Maggie), although you can save some on a tune, but the hood was the real issue, I only liked the mcm hood and you can't get them anymore, ecklers has one close but 2500.00 cost plus fitting and paint. Either will blow your tires away, yet another reason to bring power on slightly slower. Plus you have the surprise factor, that's why I got the centri. fits under stock hood!

Last edited by Forcedvert; 12-07-2014 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-07-2014, 04:56 PM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

yeah, most people freak out about swapping a body panel
with proper throttle control, neither will really run away from you
and i know i never suspect anything from a car that sounds like an air compressor tank bleed with every deceleration
Old 12-07-2014, 06:39 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

yeah, most people freak out about swapping a body panel
with proper throttle control, neither will really run away from you
and i know i never suspect anything from a car that sounds like an air compressor tank bleed with every deceleration
I was not freeking out over hood, just don't like most if them and it is a considerable cost adder. I really wanted the pd blower, but mostly for looks under the hood and the whine they make. Both types are good, by the way from a stop light looking stock and blowing through first, second, and into third, basically until you lift, is priceless.
Anyone can pull away easing into it, goes without saying I simply was pointing out both have plenty of go.
Old 12-07-2014, 06:54 PM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

i wasn't necessarily talking about you; those things have been said by plenty of folks for years.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:07 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

For the record I didn't save any money going with the a&a kit because I blew my motor! Not sure if I had pd blower I would have been pushing rpms as high as often, the pull is addictive!
And the pd is easier maintenance as I have a self contained centri. and oil has to be changed more often. (Didn't make it to the first oil change). Now I have a stroker will be the best of both worlds I hope.

Get notified of new replies

To Magnuson verses A&A kit

Old 12-07-2014, 07:35 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

i wasn't necessarily talking about you; those things have been said by plenty of folks for years.

I like a c5 with all kinds of add ons, wide body, hood, spoiler, but it cost ya to do it right, as the c5 ages it is starting to look kinda... Bland. But not as boring as a c4. Oh, did I write that out loud.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:45 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

The Maggie can take meth, although I've read some internet reports that say the coating on the rotors won't like it much. It can take it, but it's not as effective at dropping IAT's because of being sprayed pre-compressor. They simply don't as well that way. Tried it myself. Do it post compressor and you'll discover the struggle with controlling the volume creating equal distribution.
Old 12-13-2014, 04:53 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT56
For me, it never ends.

The cat is out of the bag!!!

Quick Reply: Magnuson verses A&A kit