C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best blower kit for torque stock LS1?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 11:49 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,085 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by Timz16
That's the way I was leaning until someone there told me their horsepower tops out at 500hp with only their kit and no meth. If they could get me to 550 rwhp with close to that in torque, it would be end thread.
You could easily make those numbers, just like we have a bunch of people running 9's on our base kit and a stock engine.

What Chris said to you is that on a 100% stock A4 car running pump gas, we leave them around 500 rwhp, typically a little over but we like to under promise-over deliver. If you chose to go higher have at it! The kit is more then capable of doing so without purchasing anything else to do so.

We have been doing this long enough to know which cars have the most problems, and oddly enough it's not the high HP cars. It's the cars that want to max out pump gas and chose not to use meth.

I hope that helps.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:12 PM
TPSMak
Supporting Vendor

Received 270 Likes on 204 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS

We have been doing this long enough to know which cars have the most problems, and oddly enough it's not the high HP cars. It's the cars that want to max out pump gas and chose not to use meth.
That is absolutely so true... everyone gets fixated on getting every RWHP out of their stock motor not knowing it will jeopardize the reliability of the motor.

Like I tell people all the time "HP is just about how much money you have and how much you want to spend... if you don't want to spend a ton... don't push it that hard.. play it safe"

People don't realize that a 500RWHP Vette is VERY fast and is about 600HP at the crank... the HP to weight ratio is AWESOME!

So who wants a blower? We can supply them for up to 1 year with 0% financing
Santa Clara, CA 95050
Phone #: 408/898-4632
Email #: MikeM@TPSMotorsports.com
Authorized dealer of Corbeau Seats, ECS Superchargers, Edelbrock SuperChargers, A&A Superchargers, Kooks, Whipple, Magnalow, Corsa, Borla. LG Motorsports, Procharger, Billy Boat Exhaust, AWE Exhaust, American Racing, TPS Brake Rotors/ Kits, Stainless Steel Brake Lines & much more...

Old 12-11-2014, 03:38 PM
Timz16
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

You could easily make those numbers, just like we have a bunch of people running 9's on our base kit and a stock engine.

What Chris said to you is that on a 100% stock A4 car running pump gas, we leave them around 500 rwhp, typically a little over but we like to under promise-over deliver. If you chose to go higher have at it! The kit is more then capable of doing so without purchasing anything else to do so.

I hope that helps.
Thanks Doug. I have a 6 speed. If I did meth I imagine 575rwhp would be quite doable with my LS1.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:43 PM
Timz16
Instructor

Thanks Doug. I have a 6 speed. If I did meth I imagine 575rwhp would be quite doable with my LS1.
Whether the stock differential can handle it is another question!
Old 12-11-2014, 05:01 PM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 960 Likes on 572 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

I am around 480rwhp on my stock LS1 with the A&A kit, and it is PLENTY for the street. I don't do any track racing, so this setup is fine.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:45 PM
DOUG @ ECS

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321

Not a problem then at all, manuals are a little higher.

Typically yes, but if you want to go to the track on radials and launch at 6k then probably not.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:32 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

I can provide this valuable piece of info. The metal don't know. A YSi for example won't know who's bracket it is mounted too.

You can't go wrong with either kit in the end it boils down to how much you want to spend on head units. And other stuff. Some important some not as much.

If you are looking to make 800+ WTQ or more neither base kit will cut it.

This is not a matter of opinion. with that said I do have both ECS and A&A blower kit components on my car. I'd be more than happy to answer questions if you wish.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:13 PM
Timz16
Instructor

Originally Posted by blown81bu
like i said if u can wait couple months im doing a novi 1500 on a stock ls1 corvette with just headers..low mileage c5...i can post results when complete..
I would appreciate that! Thanks very much for offering.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:43 PM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MVP'S ZO6
I can provide this valuable piece of info. The metal don't know. A YSi for example won't know who's bracket it is mounted too.
The metal knows.......
Old 12-11-2014, 11:57 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 4DRUSH
The metal knows.......
Old 12-12-2014, 07:38 AM
Timz16
Instructor

Not a problem then at all, manuals are a little higher.

Typically yes, but if you want to go to the track on radials and launch at 6k then probably not.
I drive to the strip so I can't do slicks. What has worked in the past at 543rwhp is Mickey Thompson ET Street Radials. I launch at around 2800 to 3k rpm. I had one or 2 incidents of wheel hop and had to back off but no other issues.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:18 AM
blown81bu
Safety Car

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

wheel hop is what kills the dif not really hp...
Old 12-12-2014, 08:44 AM
DOUG @ ECS

The metal knows.......

oh... it knows...
Old 12-12-2014, 09:59 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I hope that helps.
Originally Posted by TPSMak
That is absolutely so true... everyone gets fixated on getting every RWHP out of their stock motor not knowing it will jeopardize the reliability of the motor.

Like I tell people all the time "HP is just about how much money you have and how much you want to spend... if you don't want to spend a ton... don't push it that hard.. play it safe"
I think what Doug was meaning (and by all means correct me if I'm wrong here) is that adding meth helps so much on longevity of the stock bottom end, that people running a little higher HP on stock blocks (with meth) end up being better off / more reliable than those that are running a little less HP and also NOT running meth..

Last edited by schpenxel; 12-12-2014 at 11:04 AM.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:00 AM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

I agree alky injection is a good think. Keeping the IAT's well in check is one of the good things methanol does. Even with a great intercooler the IAT's can get crazy.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:04 AM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Also, do you really trust pump gas now days?

To the point you'd rather risk hurting your motor vs topping off your meth tank
Old 12-12-2014, 11:09 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Also, do you really trust pump gas now days?

To the point you'd rather risk hurting your motor vs topping off your meth tank
I am with you here Jay. Now for a street car with only hitting WOT & boost for a second are so, is one thing but the 1/4 track run is a diff ball game all together. Robert

Get notified of new replies

To Best blower kit for torque stock LS1?

Old 12-12-2014, 11:37 AM
DOUG @ ECS

Originally Posted by schpenxel
I think what Doug was meaning (and by all means correct me if I'm wrong here) is that adding meth helps so much on longevity of the stock bottom end, that people running a little higher HP on stock blocks (with meth) end up being better off / more reliable than those that are running a little less HP and also NOT running meth..

Correct, making power is not necessarily about how much you spend. For instance look at Shawn's car running 9.16 and 1500 passes on it, there is very little money into that car compared to many, if not everyone else in his ET's league on here.

Here's the big secret, this one is a keeper so write it down.

OCTANE

That car has never been ran without some or all 100 octane in the tank depending on the ET he is looking to run. Just because you did not record knock on a pass does not mean it is not slowly chipping away at the engine.
Fuel quality is as important as the crank shaft, do not skimp on it. Pump gas is getting worse by the year, yet we keep pushing on the engines harder and harder.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:27 PM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

Correct, making power is not necessarily about how much you spend. For instance look at Shawn's car running 9.16 and 1500 passes on it, there is very little money into that car compared to many, if not everyone else in his ET's league on here.

OCTANE

That car has never been ran without some or all 100 octane in the tank depending on the ET he is looking to run. Just because you did not record knock on a pass does not mean it is not slowly chipping away at the engine.
Fuel quality is as important as the crank shaft, do not skimp on it. Pump gas is getting worse by the year, yet we keep pushing on the engines harder and harder.
People seem to forget that when GM, or any car manufacturer, are designing engines they are NOT focused on power. That's the easy bit. They are concentrating on using a little fuel as possible to make the target power and the lowest emissions possible.

What you inevitably end up with is an detonation limited engine when you start to tune it.

How do you tackle dept.? Lower comp. (lowers peak cylinder pressures), reduce timing (again effectively, lowers peak cylinder pressures) or stick some nice high octane fuel in it!

Also you have to remember that when you start to tune an engine you are throwing the accuracy of the stock knock system out. Most modern systems are design to pick up very specific frequencies and i believe some even look at specific crank angles to ensure dept. is detected. You stick a great big supercharge on there or a forged bottom end you you will change the harmonics of the engine and reduce the accuracy of the stock setup.

Last edited by chuntington101; 12-12-2014 at 12:31 PM.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:36 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

OCTANE

Well put Doug never put under 93 in my car even not going to the track in it. Plus in town never have put the 93 with the 10% junk in the tank. The few times I have gone to the track always put race gas in it.

Quick Reply: Best blower kit for torque stock LS1?